1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Anybody good with mac's

Discussion in 'Computers' started by OutOfPhase, Dec 29, 2012.

1. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member

I just finished replacing the screen on my sister in-laws macbook pro that broke a month after she bought it 5 years ago. The laptop was working great until...... Being that it has not been used in 5 years there were quite a few updates one being the Intel firmware. While it was installing the firmware update the dog knocked the power cord out and the laptop shut down. We found out the hard way the battery was bad. :( I have tried everything I know to get it going but nothing works. I posted at the apple site but nobody has answered. Before I bring this to the "genius" bar I wanted to see if anybody here had ideas.

Thanks in advance

Dan

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

Maybe you should move this thread into the computers and it forum to see if anyone the had an idea. We have a few tech junkies for Macs here

OutOfPhase likes this.
  3. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer

EarlyMon. He works with a Mac. Not sure how much he knows, but I'll stab in the dark and say a lot. Hit him and see. :)

OutOfPhase likes this.
  4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Is the MacBook like totally dead, or is it trying to start? - i.e. the screen lights up? Have you tried another Apple MacBook power-brick with it? It could be that the logic-board(as Apple calls the mainboard) had died. If it is, a new board is likely to be extremely expensive and not really worth it for a five year old MacBook.

Probably best thing to do is take it to the Genius Bar, see what they got to say about it.

OutOfPhase likes this.
  5. ninadchaudhari

ninadchaudhari What's up !

sure ! I would go with SMC reset ! and PV ram reset ... and i guess that will do the job !

but What exactly is your problem ?like What exactly happens when you plug in and then try to turn on the pc ?

OutOfPhase likes this.
  6. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Android Expert

If a NVRAM flash job gets interrupted, it usually bricks the computer. Once it's bricked, only a trip back to the factory or repair center will restore it to normal operation. Yes that can be costly, but with socketed ICs being a thing of the past (especially with laptops) that's usually your only choice.

Get a quote or two, and see if it's worth fixing.

OutOfPhase likes this.
  7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

OutOfPhase likes this.
  8. huh

huh Android Expert

try holding the control+ command+power buttons down at the same time for about 3 sec to restart

if that doesnt work try to reset the smc remove the ac power take out battery hold down power button for 5 sec

good luck!!!

OutOfPhase likes this.
  9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Or command-option-P-R during startup until the start sound repeats, but I think we should find out if the 9 beeps happened or not.

OutOfPhase likes this.
  10. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member

Thank you all for the responses, i tried them with no luck. I am currently sitting at the genius bar while they repair the firmware.

Speed Daemon, mikedt and EarlyMon like this.