• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anybody have the Galaxy Nexus unlocked on T-Mobile?

Yes, I have one from Expansys. It works on T-mobile or AT&T HPSA+.

Yes I have one from Negri Electronics. I am on T-Mobile and it works fine on HPSA+. No problems.
Either of you in a strong HPSA+ area, and if so, care to post some SpeedTest measures?

I'm sick of waiting for my work to get me a Verizon one (if ever), so I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and getting one unsubsidized.

Upvote 0
Either of you in a strong HPSA+ area, and if so, care to post some SpeedTest measures?

I'm sick of waiting for my work to get me a Verizon one (if ever), so I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and getting one unsubsidized.
Here is mine. It shows Kb/s (about 7.32 Mbps). Usually I get bit over 8 Mbps.

Screenshot_2011-12-30-15-11-22.png

Upvote 0
Not to thread jack but when you buy a phone this way, do you get carrier updates? I am switching to t-mobile for the cheapness of the value plan and plan to purchase one of these from expansys. Since this isn't a phone officially released by t-mobile, will it ever get updates?
Yes I am getting updates, directly from Google, no problem.

Upvote 0
Hate to be a total noob with this question, but I've never used an unlocked phone on TMobile's network. If I buy the unlocked Galaxy Nexus, Will the 3G/4G work? I've read conflicting reports, and I don't think I could handle EDGE speeds all the time.

Yes, the Galaxy Nexus works on their HSPA+ (4G) network with speeds up to 21 Mbps. Their network can handle up to 42 Mbps in some cities.

Upvote 0
Sorry to revive this thread, but I had a question about the GN and T-Mobile. If I buy it through Google, I can use T-Mobile's monthly plan, correct? I was thinking of getting the $30/month for unlimited texts/data and 100 minutes of anytime voice. I know I average a little over 100 minutes a month, so I was curious if using my Google Voice number charges minutes or data? Thanks in advance! Looking for ways to save some money, not get screwed over by carriers, and still have a Galaxy Nexus. I can't switch from Verizon for another year and a half, but my wife can switch next year.

Upvote 0
Sorry to revive this thread, but I had a question about the GN and T-Mobile. If I buy it through Google, I can use T-Mobile's monthly plan, correct? I was thinking of getting the $30/month for unlimited texts/data and 100 minutes of anytime voice. I know I average a little over 100 minutes a month, so I was curious if using my Google Voice number charges minutes or data? Thanks in advance! Looking for ways to save some money, not get screwed over by carriers, and still have a Galaxy Nexus. I can't switch from Verizon for another year and a half, but my wife can switch next year.

Yes, Google Voice by itself will count against your minutes. What you want is to add another app, such as GrooveIP, which makes your Google Voice calls VoIP, so they don't count against minutes. I use GrooveIP when I'm connected to WiFi to handle my calls, and use the cell network (with Google Voice) when I'm away from WiFi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones