• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

anybody here sick of gun violence?

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    look i'm all for the right to bear arms, but i'm tired of these shootings. i do not want to take your guns away, but we need to more control on who gets guns. we need strict control on where you can get it.

my heart goes out to those terrorized and for those who lost someone at the Garlic Festival in Gilroy.

BUT SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE!!!!!!!

i say death to the NRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i-don39t-always-watch-swamp-people-but-when-i-do-i-yell-Choot-39em-meme-3092.jpg

Upvote 0
    I don't live in America so gun violence isn't a problem here but yeah I'm sick of it. It always ends up on the news over here and it always makes me wonder how someone could do that others. Honestly though I don't think banning guns would make any difference. Guns are mostly illegal in England (except farmers) so everyone just stabs each other instead. I suppose the only saving grace here is that a mass stabbing is rare. Lots of individual stabbings aren't much better though. Humanity will always find a way to self destruct.

Upvote 0
    man 20 dead and 40 injured......my heart goes out to el paso, texas and the victims, the victim's family, and the first responders as well.

those numbers would be hard to do with just a knive. we need sensible gun laws where we restrict and make it hard for individuals to obtain guns. i'm not saying taking anything away from anyone.

here's an idea:
    screw gun control....how about bullet control LOLOLOL

Upvote 0
    Of course, isn't it strange how many of these mass shootings take place in gun free zones? It seems that tighter restrictions only make things worse. There's never been a gun control law that has been demonstrated to have made things better. And such laws only seem to 'work' if there was no need for them in the first place. Any place that had actual problems with guns only got worse after imposing strict gun control laws.

Upvote 0
    Of course, isn't it strange how many of these mass shootings take place in gun free zones? It seems that tighter restrictions only make things worse. There's never been a gun control law that has been demonstrated to have made things better. And such laws only seem to 'work' if there was no need for them in the first place. Any place that had actual problems with guns only got worse after imposing strict gun control laws.
    i'm not saying take guns away from everyone. i'm saying having a stronger background check and red flag laws would help. it will never be 100% but it will help.

and look at australia where they have probably the toughest gun laws in the world:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35048251

i actually love guns. i am saving up for a Desert Eagle. but i just do not see a reason to own a semi automatic weapon. granted they are fun to shoot. but for those who claim they have one for security and protection.....i'm sorry but they are either lying or delusional.

if we do away with the nra, i think gun laws would be very different here in the US. i really hope that organization collapses.

Upvote 0
    look i'm all for the right to bear arms, but i'm tired of these shootings. i do not want to take your guns away, but we need to more control on who gets guns. we need strict control on where you can get it.

my heart goes out to those terrorized and for those who lost someone at the Garlic Festival in Gilroy.

BUT SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE!!!!!!!

Off topic but I agree. Gun fetishists are mentally ill and don't value the lives of others, including trophy animals they kill.

A psychological term for gun worship is BIRGing, whicn entails substituting mechanical props for personal character.

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0

"Gun free" zones are just a concept, and you can't cite many defenses against ambush shootings in crowds, e.g. Las Vegas. In such mayhem, the origin of the shooter is often unclear, so O.K. Corral hero fantasies rarely work. Too many bystanders would get hit.

In other countries, gun control laws have definitely worked, which is exactly why the U.S. has so many MORE shootings. More guns in circulation means more chances for thieves to get them, too. And successful home defenses are much rarer than domestic shootings and suicides. Guns are a lot like pit bulls; fewer of them mean fewer incidents. When pit bulls weren't so popular their random violence had much less impact.

Upvote 0
    'Gun free' zones are just a concept, and you can't cite many defenses against ambush shootings in crowds, e.g. Las Vegas. In such mayhem, the origin of the shooter is often unclear, so O.K. Corral hero fantasies rarely work. Too many bystanders would get hit.

In other countries, gun control laws have definitely worked, which is exactly why the U.S. has so many MORE shootings. More guns in circulation means more chances for thieves to get them, too. And successful home defenses are much rarer than domestic shootings and suicides. Guns are a lot like pit bulls; fewer of them mean fewer incidents. When pit bulls weren't so popular their random violence had much less impact.

Purest delusion. The only places where strict gun laws have worked have been countries where the culture already made such laws unnecessary. Then you have countries like Brazil, with very strict gun laws, about 2/3 our population and typically twice as many gun homicides in a year as we do. The world is full of similar examples. Strict gun laws only 'work' if they are unnecessary in the first place.

Upvote 0
    Purest delusion. The only places where strict gun laws have worked have been countries where the culture already made such laws unnecessary. Then you have countries like Brazil, with very strict gun laws, about 2/3 our population and typically twice as many gun homicides in a year as we do. The world is full of similar examples. Strict gun laws only 'work' if they are unnecessary in the first place.
    ok i get it, i understand that in some places, the gun culture is so ingrained into the local norms. but what is so strict about having sensible gun laws. i mean better background checks will not hurt anyone who is looking to buy a gun. if you have a clean background, you are good. i like the idea of red flag laws as well.

i think more companies should follow Colt. i'm glad they are not making the AR-15 available to the general public. i do not think that assault weapons should be allowed to be sold unless you are military.

Reactions: GameTheory
    Upvote 0

So sayeth you of the Trump "fake news" culture. The evidence says the opposite. It's about easy accessibility in most cases. Planned mass shootings account for a small percentage of gun deaths, but they make headlines. That's where perceptions can get complex.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gun+ownership+vs.+gun+deaths

People who seek more guns in circulation are inclined to want to use them in a showdown fantasy as a self-fulfilling prophecy. I know the mentality, as I was briefly part of it long ago, then grew up. Professional military people are in the same racket, both causing and defending against wars. It goes well beyond guns to other weapons, many of which civilians can't own (2nd Amendment was never an absolute right).

At least there was the 2019 bump stock ban, motivated by Paddock, but those should never have been legal.

"You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war. The very prevention of war requires more faith, courage and resolution than are needed to prepare for war." (Albert you-know-who, circa 1946)

Upvote 0
    i actually love guns. i am saving up for a Desert Eagle. but i just do not see a reason to own a semi automatic weapon.

I collect weapons as a hobby and must admit I do not love my weapons, it is a hobby that I enjoy. Love is not a word that should be associated with weapons, they are made to kill which is not related to love.

FYI the Desert Eagle you desire is a semi automatic weapon ....

signword

Upvote 0
    I collect weapons as a hobby and must admit I do not love my weapons, it is a hobby that I enjoy. Love is not a word that should be associated with weapons, they are made to kill which is not related to love.

FYI the Desert Eagle you desire is a semi automatic weapon ....

signword
    is it now? i had no idea. my friend has one and. i got to hold it......never had the chance to shoot one though.

Upvote 0
    Any idea what a DE costs today ? Google DE .50, ('cause that is what I would get if I could afford it), let alone a .44 model. (of which I would accept in a heartbeat)

Alot of money for someone who has never shot one ....

Shiva is the god of destruction, destruction is imperative for renewal.

Destruction is not associated with love, is renewal associated with love, possibly.

If I had to associate a "love" with any of my weapons it would have to be the feeling of freedom I get when shooting one at the range !

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Any idea what a DE costs today ? Alot of money for someone who has never shot one ....

Shiva is the god of destruction, destruction is imperative for renewal.

Destruction is not associated with love, renewal maybe.

If I had to associate a "love" with any of my weapons it would have to be the feeling of freedom I get when shooting one at the range !
    yeah at least a few thousand, i know they are not cheap which is why i do not have one......yet.

Upvote 0
    Either one is on my wish list, unfortunately, I can not afford to spend a couple of grand on one weapon. I have bought boxes of weapons, traded for weapons and been given weapons !

The upcoming leadership is hard core against my hobby.

I may need to sell a couple of acquisitions, to buy a .50 before they are banned, and like yourself, I have held several, but never shot one.

Upvote 0
    My pride and joy, stainless Colt combat commander in .45 cal, that I did all the custom gunsmithing, (3 lb or less trigger, extended levers, custom hammer/beavertail, extended mag well, custom grips, etc. ), that I had colored :

wit12111.jpg

BTW, this one will NEVER be for sale ! (I could have had a .50 for what I have in this one !)

signword

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    i would not call it hard core against. i would not worry about it. your guns are safe.

stop listening to the corrupt NRA. they are all corrupt, greedy, little white men who only cares about sucking in your hard earned money so that they can buy yachts and travel around the world. when there is gun violence, what do they do? nothing. they go into hiding. they should be contributing to mental health issues as they suggest that is the main reason for gun violence.

and all you hear from them is that the Democrats want to take your guns away. when nothing can be further from the truth. they say that stricter gun laws is just the beginning.....when i think that would be the end of it. i think stricter gun laws is what is needed. what is wrong with stricter background checks? what is wrong with having red flag laws?

don't believe what the NRA is shoveling out to the masses......it's a load of crap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones