• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody jumping ship for the Galaxy S3?

Its 4.8" display. If I wanted a larger display, I'd have a Nexus already.

And the irony is I know own a Nexus. Breaks 2 major rules I have no Samsung and no huge phones.

I had to give it shot. Cost me $0 brand new. You know what, I like it a lot

Bottom line, still got it for the right price. Otherwise I'd still be waiting for inc4g

Upvote 0
I still use the original Droid Inc. It has been a very reliable phone for me to this day. I also like HTC Sense very much and want to continue using it. Although the specs on the Samsung look terrific - a friend has a Samsung phone and complains about lost calls and locking up problems. I've read similar complaints on the Galaxy Nexus, especially with phone reception. So I am not ready to give up on HTC for Samsung, regarless of specs. I do wish the DInc 4G was 4.3" instead of 4" personally (I have big hands) - but I'll live and if Verizon and HTC comes out with a better phone after the Dinc4G - I'll pay full price.

Upvote 0
VZW is quoted as saying new data plans won't be rolled out until the end of the year (my guess is even later).

Yeah, guess you were wrong. You just posted this rumor and never followed up with a quote from VZW and now the June date is proven true. smh....

The HTC Inc 4g is rumored to come out June 21st though so you can still get it before the family plans take effect. Unless it gets delayed again.

But yeah "data plans at end of year (or later), nooope.

Upvote 0
Yeah, guess you were wrong. You just posted this rumor and never followed up with a quote from VZW and now the June date is proven true. smh....

The HTC Inc 4g is rumored to come out June 21st though so you can still get it before the family plans take effect. Unless it gets delayed again.

But yeah "data plans at end of year (or later), nooope.

I guess if the phone doesnt come out June 21st, my choice will be made easy D:. I'm probably going to go to an At&T store on June 21st or 22nd and check out how big the S3 really is to see if I could put up with it. Please Verizon, I dont ask for much... just release this phone on the 21st, thats all I will ever ask from you! lol

Upvote 0
I guess if the phone doesnt come out June 21st, my choice will be made easy D:. I'm probably going to go to an At&T store on June 21st or 22nd and check out how big the S3 really is to see if I could put up with it. Please Verizon, I dont ask for much... just release this phone on the 21st, thats all I will ever ask from you! lol

I really think 4.8" is way too big for a phone. But as i said in another thread, Priority #1 (by FAR) is keeping unlimited 4g data on Verizon. Seeing as how crappy the shared data plan is for most families, these accounts will be GOLD and rarer than a blue unicorn in a couple years.

So i will put up with the huge phone until i can afford something off contract. I will also admit, i LOVE multitasking on my phones (reading email, then going to maps, then playing a game, then checking out the market, then writing an email and bouncing to the web to hyperlink something) and the SGS3 beats the inc 4g in two important ways: 2gb ram vs 1gb ram AND htc has their own custom multitasking which by their own admission is SUPER aggressive and shuts things down fast. The SGS3 has standard ICS multi-tasking which is the best.

1gb is sufficient for most, but some international SGS3 owners (that one has 1gb) have complained about Pandora shutting down and other apps not cooperating b/c of insufficient ram. 2gb is a great "future-proofer".

But yeah, if the HTC had those 2 things, i wouldn't probably switch back (as long as they hit the 21st date).

Upvote 0
I really think 4.8" is way too big for a phone. But as i said in another thread, Priority #1 (by FAR) is keeping unlimited 4g data on Verizon.

From the article you linked earlier:

"Customers are free to keep their existing plans, but there is no fee or contract extension to move to the new Share Everything Plans."

Sounds like the panic over grandfathered plans can end for now.

Upvote 0
From the article you linked earlier:

"Customers are free to keep their existing plans, but there is no fee or contract extension to move to the new Share Everything Plans."

Sounds like the panic over grandfathered plans can end for now.

oh there was no panic in the first place if you were on unlimited AND don't care about being on a slow 3g phone (like iphone 4s) OR already had a 4g android phone that you upgraded to in the last 5 months.

BUT if you are like me and HATE how slow 3g is and HAVEN'T used an upgrade, there was a little bit of "panic" as you call it to make sure to get one last subsidized phone purchase in. Cause after the 28th of June if you want that SGS3 and unlimited you are paying $650 + taxes/fees, not $250.

So it was good to be aware of what's going on because some people (like myself) saved $400.

But yeah if you don't care about having a current phone or have upgraded in the last few months, there was no worry at all :)

Reactions: jj3699
Upvote 0
oh there was no panic in the first place if you were on unlimited AND don't care about being on a slow 3g phone (like iphone 4s) OR already had a 4g android phone that you upgraded to in the last 5 months.

BUT if you are like me and HATE how slow 3g is and HAVEN'T used an upgrade, there was a little bit of "panic" as you call it to make sure to get one last subsidized phone purchase in. Cause after the 28th of June if you want that SGS3 and unlimited you are paying $650 + taxes/fees, not $250.

So it was good to be aware of what's going on because some people (like myself) saved $400.

But yeah if you don't care about having a current phone or have upgraded in the last few months, there was no worry at all :)

Read the threads. You were not panicking but there were many who were. It was more about guessing scenarios and lots of "if verizon does ..... I'll be so mad". I do believe in being informed, that's why I am here BUT complaining over what might happen seems counterproductive.

Have a great day.

Upvote 0
Went to a 32gb blue SGS3. The plan is to go to the Inc4g if it comes out by the end of my 14 day trial. If not I'll probably sell it & get the Inc4g retail. I figure the SGS3 will have the best resale of the phones offered by verizon since it's the newest. I just don't think I'll be able to manage the size considering my Rezound is about my limit. Plus I'd take Sense over Touchwiz any day. I just didn't want to waste my last upgrade.

Upvote 0
nothing earth shattering here....but went into a VW store to discuss the family share crap and the S3 pre-order. The sales guy was all exceited abotu how much money the family share would save me and my family of smart phones.

Oh yeah i said..my calculations show it will cost me over $75 more each month...so please feel free to show me how much you think y ou can save me...long story short...i was right...my bill will be going to $330 per month..:mad:

You can also order the S3 now, and cancel it only when it arrives....not when/if the Inc 4g shows up....and he couldn't say for sure if you could return the S3 for the 4g and still qualify for the unlimited data based on ordering the s3 before 6/28

Also there was some confusion...on when the family share kicks in and how it affects the others on the unlimited family plan as members upgrade after 6/28.

He said one upgrade throws the entire family into the family share...i argued that it did not, and he agreed that its possible that as each person upgraded then they would be thrown into a 2gb for $30 as the rest of us stated at the unlimited $30 category.

All in all i left wanting to tell version to go f themselves.:mad:

Upvote 0
nothing earth shattering here....but went into a VW store to discuss the family share crap and the S3 pre-order. The sales guy was all exceited abotu how much money the family share would save me and my family of smart phones.

Oh yeah i said..my calculations show it will cost me over $75 more each month...so please feel free to show me how much you think y ou can save me...long story short...i was right...my bill will be going to $330 per month..:mad:

You can also order the S3 now, and cancel it only when it arrives....not when/if the Inc 4g shows up....and he couldn't say for sure if you could return the S3 for the 4g and still qualify for the unlimited data based on ordering the s3 before 6/28

Also there was some confusion...on when the family share kicks in and how it affects the others on the unlimited family plan as members upgrade after 6/28.

He said one upgrade throws the entire family into the family share...i argued that it did not, and he agreed that its possible that as each person upgraded then they would be thrown into a 2gb for $30 as the rest of us stated at the unlimited $30 category.

All in all i left wanting to tell version to go f themselves.:mad:

You pretty much confirmed everything I was told except for exchanging for the Inc4G and keeping unlimited data. The Telesales reps (3 of them) were adamant that as long as you went directly from one phone to another (instead of returning the first phone, reverting to your previous contract, and then upgrading after the 28th) you would still keep unlimited data.

I really wish Verizon would get all of their people on the same page on matters like this. I'm almost waiting for someone to sue when an employee says one thing, then another after the fact says they were mistaken and you're left holding the bag. If an employee states something on behalf a company, the company should honor it, whether it's right or wrong. Maybe if their employees cost them enough money they'll start training them better, make sure they know what's actually going on and risk penalties or firing if they don't keep up. But Verizon's model seems to be give them no information, let them guess as to what's the right answer, and give them plausible deniability if they're wrong since Verizon didn't give them any info in the first place. There used to be accountability in business, now it's pass the buck all day long.

Case in point, the Inc4G release. I don't know how many times Verizon reps have told me it's up to HTC as to when the phone is released. And that is true to an extent, because HTC brings them a finished phone, Verizon tests it, and tells them if it's a go for launch or not. Lather, rinse, repeat until Verizon okays it, because they have the final word if it's released on their network. After the Verizon reps told me to contact HTC since it was up to them, I did. They told me it was up to Verizon since it was their network. So really, it's up to both of them when it comes out, but each company throws the other under the bus. But again I feel Verizon has more say in the release since it is their network. As much as we'd like to believe we're HTC's customer, Verizon is their customer, and in turn we're Verizon's.

What would be such a simpler model would be to have all phones be multiple bands, enough to roam on any network. That would mean any phone by any manufacturer would be available to anyone. That would make less phones for the OEMs to support, and therefore faster and better updates & service. They could make the billing go off of the SIM card in each phone, and if you go onto another carrier's network, you encounter roaming charges. What would differentiate carriers would be what they offer in terms of features and content, and the coverage of their network.

The reason I mentioned coverage is if you go with carrier D which has the smallest coverage area, you'll undoubtedly run into more roaming charges than on carriers A, B, & C. So carrier D would have to lower prices to compensate, but they'd also have the smallest network to keep up. The larger carriers could charge more because of their larger coverage area and less chances of roaming charges, and they'd still get some income off of roaming customers from other carriers.

For the customer the choice would be determined again by what the carriers offer in terms of features & content, and by weighing the cost of carrier service against how much you think you'll be roaming on other carriers. The one thing this model should alleviate is the spectrum crisis. Since at any time there will be subscribers roaming on different carriers, the spectrum usage should be spread out more evenly. And you would get rid of no service in an emergency because your carrier doesn't have service in your area, since you'd be able to go off of any carrier. That would probably save lives as well.

The only thing it wouldn't do is make carriers richer than the country they're offering service to, so we know that'll never happen. But it's about time carriers see that without customers, they'd be throwing money away. We can get by without cell service, they can't get by without customers.

Upvote 0
You pretty much confirmed everything I was told except for exchanging for the Inc4G and keeping unlimited data. The Telesales reps (3 of them) were adamant that as long as you went directly from one phone to another (instead of returning the first phone, reverting to your previous contract, and then upgrading after the 28th) you would still keep unlimited data.

I really wish Verizon would get all of their people on the same page on matters like this. I'm almost waiting for someone to sue when an employee says one thing, then another after the fact says they were mistaken and you're left holding the bag. If an employee states something on behalf a company, the company should honor it, whether it's right or wrong. Maybe if their employees cost them enough money they'll start training them better, make sure they know what's actually going on and risk penalties or firing if they don't keep up. But Verizon's model seems to be give them no information, let them guess as to what's the right answer, and give them plausible deniability if they're wrong since Verizon didn't give them any info in the first place. There used to be accountability in business, now it's pass the buck all day long.

Case in point, the Inc4G release. I don't know how many times Verizon reps have told me it's up to HTC as to when the phone is released. And that is true to an extent, because HTC brings them a finished phone, Verizon tests it, and tells them if it's a go for launch or not. Lather, rinse, repeat until Verizon okays it, because they have the final word if it's released on their network. After the Verizon reps told me to contact HTC since it was up to them, I did. They told me it was up to Verizon since it was their network. So really, it's up to both of them when it comes out, but each company throws the other under the bus. But again I feel Verizon has more say in the release since it is their network. As much as we'd like to believe we're HTC's customer, Verizon is their customer, and in turn we're Verizon's.

What would be such a simpler model would be to have all phones be multiple bands, enough to roam on any network. That would mean any phone by any manufacturer would be available to anyone. That would make less phones for the OEMs to support, and therefore faster and better updates & service. They could make the billing go off of the SIM card in each phone, and if you go onto another carrier's network, you encounter roaming charges. What would differentiate carriers would be what they offer in terms of features and content, and the coverage of their network.

The reason I mentioned coverage is if you go with carrier D which has the smallest coverage area, you'll undoubtedly run into more roaming charges than on carriers A, B, & C. So carrier D would have to lower prices to compensate, but they'd also have the smallest network to keep up. The larger carriers could charge more because of their larger coverage area and less chances of roaming charges, and they'd still get some income off of roaming customers from other carriers.

For the customer the choice would be determined again by what the carriers offer in terms of features & content, and by weighing the cost of carrier service against how much you think you'll be roaming on other carriers. The one thing this model should alleviate is the spectrum crisis. Since at any time there will be subscribers roaming on different carriers, the spectrum usage should be spread out more evenly. And you would get rid of no service in an emergency because your carrier doesn't have service in your area, since you'd be able to go off of any carrier. That would probably save lives as well.

The only thing it wouldn't do is make carriers richer than the country they're offering service to, so we know that'll never happen. But it's about time carriers see that without customers, they'd be throwing money away. We can get by without cell service, they can't get by without customers.

That is the benefit of being on a gsm carrier and sucks for us on cdma. You can import any phone you want and not wait for carriers. That is why when my contract is up I will look at other carriers and especially with google selling nexus through the play store will make it even sweeter being on a gsm carrier.

Upvote 0
I still use the original Droid Inc. It has been a very reliable phone for me to this day. I also like HTC Sense very much and want to continue using it. Although the specs on the Samsung look terrific - a friend has a Samsung phone and complains about lost calls and locking up problems. I've read similar complaints on the Galaxy Nexus, especially with phone reception. So I am not ready to give up on HTC for Samsung, regarless of specs. I do wish the DInc 4G was 4.3" instead of 4" personally (I have big hands) - but I'll live and if Verizon and HTC comes out with a better phone after the Dinc4G - I'll pay full price.

I'm right there with you. I actually upgraded and got the Inc 4G the day it came out...then returned it two weeks later because I just didn't think it was worth it.

I had odd problems with WiFi I couldn't resolve. It would connect to a WAP, then appear to be connected to it even after leaving the reception area and going to an area with a different WAP to which I'd previously connected. I had to actually turn off, then turn on WiFi and rescan before it would connect to the WAP that was now in range. It did this almost 90% of the time I had the phone, and I went as far as changing frequency bands and WPA keys on the WAPs to test the theory. Pretty awful when you consider the importance of connecting to WiFi to keep 4G data usage down.

Battery life was also poor. I consistently kept 4G turned off after finding the toggle. Pulled off charge at 6:45am when I went to work, connected to WiFi throughout the work day for data sync, and barely using it other than to do a small bit of texting and a couple calls I'd be running on fumes (less than 10%) by 9pm every day. If I left 4G on, it would be dead before 7pm; barely over 12 hours. My OG Inc is much better, and yes I realize that this new phone has a better processor and higher resolution screen. But I feel it's not too much to expect it to match my +2 year old phone. They should have made the battery with higher capacity, plain and simple.

I disagree a bit with you on Sense. I'm running CM9 (ICS) as my daily driver on my OG Inc, and it's great. I had it for about two weeks before getting (trying) the Inc 4G. I have to say that after putting time in with nearly pure ICS, Sense feels unecessary. There were a number of things that always bugged me about Sense, and with the maturity of pure ICS as Google is presenting it, I just don't feel like it needs the extra "features" that Sense and the like add. Pure Android is becoming a wonderfully cohesive and powerful experience, and I'm getting to like my desserts without frosting.

Lastly, and I know it's eventually coming for the Inc 4G, I couldn't live without full root on my phone. I live and die by Titanium backup, Nandroids, and being able to do with my phone whatever I want. It's a pocket computer, and not being able to back it up properly, maintain it, and load whatever OS I choose feels like I'm being kept from utilizing the full potential of a piece of hardware I own.

My main take-away from this experience is that I'll probably never pre-order or first-day-buy a phone again. It's too important to me to be sure the development/root community is going to get behind a new phone and support it well. Just look how long the original Incredible has gone; I can barely believe ICS is running on it, and running quite well.

Hopefully the next generation of Nexus phones does something very right. I'm ready to have a phone that's fully Google supported and open right off the bat. I'm tired of carrier bloatware and dealing with manufacturer imposed hardware lock-downs.

Until then I'll hang on to my bullet-proof little OG Incredible.

And phone manufacturers, this is for you: Not everyone spends half their day watching videos on their phone. We don't all need +4.5" screens. I really wanted to like the Inc 4G. It was a fantastic size. The rest of the phone just wasn't as incredible as I'd hoped.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones