• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody need AT&T service with no contract?

I am closing an AT&T family plan and changing it back to one line. AT&T obviously wants to charge me for early cancellation unless I can find someone to transfer the second line to. They said it can be ANYONE. The perk for you is that you would NEVER have to have a contract.

They will send me a new sim card, which in turn I would send to you. You would be responsible for getting your own phone. Once you have that, all you need to do is call AT&T and tell them what service you want. Again, best part is no contract.

It's called TOBR (Transfer of Billing Responsibility.) Answer Center | AT&T

I don't want anything in exchange, other than saving some cash. I will probably be posting this on other boards.

How is this contract free? If you are doing a TOBR, you are essentially transferring financial responsibility of the CONTRACT from one person to another.

From that link you posted:
"Transfer of Billing Responsibility (ToBR) is the process that changes the ownership and financial responsibility of a wireless account from one subscriber to another subscriber.

The service is moved to an account with the new owner's name and credit information, and the new owner assumes liability for the account/contract."

Unless the account is already contract free. Which if that was the case, I would imagine they would not be trying to charge you an early termination fee.

Upvote 0
Never said service was free. Just no contract. Since I have already paid so much on it, she said if I transfer it to someone else, they won't have to pay activation or anything. Just call and tell what plan you want. I said "so essentially whoever takes over this can go forever without having to have a contract?" She said yes. I then said that that person would be better off than me since they don't need a contract. She laughed and said "yep." It was a lady in the cancellation department. Call for yourself and verify if interested. Maybe she gave bad info, but she was really sincere.

Upvote 0
Actually, what we were wondering, is if it is NOT under contract, then why would you have to pay an ETF? ETF's are fees for terminating a line under contract. However, if this line has the $30 unlimited data package, you could very well find someone to take it off your hands, if that can also transfer!

T

Upvote 0
Actually, what we were wondering, is if it is NOT under contract, then why would you have to pay an ETF? ETF's are fees for terminating a line under contract. However, if this line has the $30 unlimited data package, you could very well find someone to take it off your hands, if that can also transfer!

T
It is currently under contract, hence the fee. She said if i get someone to take over, i don't have to pay that fee, and the person who takes it will not have to be under contract. She said that person would just have to call and say what plan they want. She said you could have any rate plan and any currently available data plan without being tied to a contract. again, you would have to supply your own phone. If you want upgrade or something to that effect thru at&t, at that point, i think, they would want you to "sign" a contract.

So, what I took from the conversation is that as long as you supply your own phone for as long as you want the service, you are a month to month customer. She verified that thought.

edit: it was a samsung mythic, so no unlimited smart phone data plan.

Upvote 0
So you would have access to this persons number, account, upgrades, text messages, call records, etc...?

This sounds like an extraordinarily bad idea.

No, I wouldn't have access to all that. It would be your own account with your own info.

Again, I'm not 100% how it would work, but if you are interested, it would be worth a call.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones