• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody notice 3G improvements after OTA Update??

mcbtrain929

Android Expert
Nov 5, 2009
One of the perks of the N1 OTA Update (besides pinch-to-zoom) was improvements in 3G signal. Can anybody comment on if they have noticed improvement in this area or not? This is one of the things that kept me from purchasing it right off the bat. If this is improved, I might jump ship.

I didn't really think I had a 3g issue with the phone. I thought the issue was with the network cause I would always drop or switch to edge at the same locations on my way to work. I normally stream music and it would always cut off at the same spots without fail so I just assumed it was do to poor tmobile coverage. Ater the update, I get no drops on the same route to work. So I'm guessing something must have changed for the better.

Upvote 0
Huge difference for me, I still have issues inside my house but I have had issues inside with every phone i've ever owned. I think it is my wifi router causing interference because the further I am away fomr my computer the better it is but it's not really an issue because as long as I'm in range of my router I have the wifi connection running.

Outside of the house though it's a totally different story I get solid 4 bars 3g wherever I go since the update, before it would still bounce around and drop to edge sometimes outside of the house. I haven't seen an Edge connection after leaving ym house since the update. 3g is so stable it made me wonder if they just put a patch in to always show full bars for 3g LOL <- I am serious too, not being sarcastic. This is the best phone I have ever owned by far and yes I am a previous Iphone owner that figured I would never buy another phone again because I felt the Iphone was perfect.

Upvote 0
fix worked great. i used to get only edge and had to switch to wcdma only and then i would get 3g. now even if i get edge it goes back to 3g unlike before. (on wcdma prefered)

also before the fix i would be on edge when other phones around me had 3g working fine. and now they are almost mirror images of eachother in regards to 3g and edge.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones