• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody notice better signal

I brought my Nexus to work today and where I didn't get 4G at all last week (but I did with the Tbolt) I'm getting it in spurts here and there today. Anybody else getting a better signal now that they've had the phone a bit longer? Once this phone ables me to force a 4G LTE signal this will easily be the best phone I've had.

I brought my Nexus to work today and where I didn't get 4G at all last week (but I did with the Tbolt) I'm getting it in spurts here and there today. Anybody else getting a better signal now that they've had the phone a bit longer? Once this phone ables me to force a 4G LTE signal this will easily be the best phone I've had.

I agree, I LOVE this phone. First time android feels just as snappy as iOS.

Sadly still no signal improvements. I get great 4g signal in some very specific spots when driving around town. One of them being the Verizon store. However, at work and at home, the mall, etc close to 0 signal.

I kept dropping calls at the mall shopping with my wife. I had to keep asking her for her droid X which had excellent signal to check stuff on amazon.

I give this phone another week before I am forced to return it.

Upvote 0
Screenshot_2011-12-17-20-45-23.png

Welcome to the poor signal club :mad:

Upvote 0
I've noticed like someone else said in another thread that if you switch to airplane mode and back the signal I got was -92 dbm, but then 10 minutes later I'm back at -110-120. But I have not dropped any calls and even with one bar of 4G I'm getting ~6mbps download.

The signal is consistent on my wife D2G at -92 dbm.

Upvote 0
I see my indicated signal strength fluctuates as well. However, I've never dropped a call yet, the other person's voice always sounds better than it ever did on my Moto Droid and Droid Bionic (same calling areas) and the person that I call the most (namely, my wife, who has been historically very persnickety about how I bad I sound on a cell phone call to the point that she'd rather hang up as soon as possible because she get so frustrated by not being able to understand what I am saying very well) has said that my voice is as clear as can be.

So, yes. I realize that others have had call dropping issues, but what was the control in that study? Side by side or memory? I don't doubt that in some areas the effect of poor signal is real. However, in the relatively boonies, where I live, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the clarity of my voice calls. I think I'll just keep ignoring the dBm meter and bar count on the phone and move on.

Edit: I just left a voicemail on my office phone with zero bars indicated when I dialed and -120 dBm signal strength in the phone status area. I could hear my greeting loud and clear and when I listened to my voicemail from the landline - it sounded clear, one small bobble in one word, and waaaaayyyy better than the similar tests that I had performed with my Droid. Take it FWIW, YMMV, etc, etc, etc.

Edit2: screen shot of a Speedtest with zero bars 3G is now attached. I'm not disappointed at all. I suspect real world problems with signal are less than being reported, but just how it is the signal is displayed... Again, YMMV.

Attachments

• speedtest.JPG
    speedtest.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
I've noticed like someone else said in another thread that if you switch to airplane mode and back the signal I got was -92 dbm, but then 10 minutes later I'm back at -110-120. But I have not dropped any calls and even with one bar of 4G I'm getting ~6mbps download.

The signal is consistent on my wife D2G at -92 dbm.

The reason people see a rise and then fall of signal quality after switching from airplane mode has to do with the mobile network type you are connected to. There are 3 types of mobile network that the phone will connect to and it cycles just about all of them after a switch to airplane mode. The basic network which we commonly see as 1X (1XRTT) also provides the easiest and strongest signal to grab on to. Then comes 3G (eHRPD) and finally 4G (LTE) which is the harder of the 3 to grab.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking that the radio dbm range on this phone might be a lot tighter. The lowest I get is -70 (70 asu) at work and we have a distributed antenna system throughout the hospital and coverage is always full.

Has anyone seen sub -70 dmb? I thought I had seen in another forum, however, can't quite recall.

This might make sense as someone had hypothesized before that the signal readout is different than previous phones (that only reported the 1x signal strength).

Upvote 0
Both my 3G and 4G reception sucks, sometimes it wouldn't even latch on to any signal. I was at my brother's place yesterday and I compared my signal with his Rezound and he was able to pick up 4G while I barely had two bars of 3G. Disgusting! Other then the signal issue this phone is better in every way vs. the Rezound. We put the phone side by side watching HD Youtube and the picture on the GN was sharper with more vivid colors and detail, although the volume on the Rezound is much louder.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones