• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody use the Boost+?

Such apps belong in the past, when phones were lacking RAM & storage.

There is no need for this or others like it.
Truth be known, we didn't need 'em in the past either, just better phones with more storage/RAM.
Even the most modest of new phones today would be better served not using these snake oil apps.

Upvote 0
Is Cheetah Mobile Clean Master SDK on HTCs now, and they call it "Boost+"?

My answer to that is 'quite possibly yes'!

After semi-retiring an ailing M7 and an equally ailing M9 I got a couple of sim free 10s. After getting them both up and running I was very puzzled and concerned when I noticed, on both devices, a BAIDU folder containing a PUSH SERVICE folder which contained an empty FILES folder. Needless to say I deleted them all and six days later they haven't returned.

I have since found identical folders on the M9.

The 10s have Boost+ pre-installed and the M9 downloaded it automatically after a recent restart.

Of course, that could be a coincidence.......

I had an on-line chat with HTC Support and the only thing they came up with was :-
"Baidu is an alternative to Google browse, do you have a third party browse app?"

"Yes I have Firefox".

"This can be related to Firefox, and those files support it and are needed if you are going to use the browser".

As Firefox is on only one of the 10s I gave up at that point.

I will keep an eye on the storage and see if they return.

Upvote 0
There's DU Browser, which is made by Baidu, and that could create and use folders called Baidu. Or any of their "DU" branded apps for that matter could do that.

DU apps are on Google Play, that are published by Baidu under the name "DU Apps" from Hong Kong.

I certainly don't have DU browser or anything similar on the M9 or either of the 10s. In fact the only app common to all three devices at the time the Baidu folders appeared was Boost+ and that only appeared on the M9 after a Factory Reset.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones