• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anybody using novell groupwise as work email?

olasz

Lurker
Jan 10, 2010
Hi Guys,
I am working for an UN agency and we use Novell Groupwise for work email and their webmail site when we are on the move.
I switched to Hero few weeks ago and since then I cannot use the webmail site with none of the browser that android have, I tried opera, dolphin, steel..all of them. no.
Any idea???
My gf says its better this way, at least I wont check email on vacations, but Its bothering me.
Salva

Novell Groupwise. LOL Haven't used that in a while. I used to be a Novell systems administrator a good few years back and I was pretty hot on Groupwise.

To be honest you're probably better off on a Novell forum that here. A quick search found a plugin here:

http://www.companionlink.com/product...tml?hh=ANDROID

Not sure why it wouldn't work over a web browser. What version of Groupwise are you on? I think it was 5.5 the last time I supported it and it was just a bog standard html interface.

Upvote 0
What kind of altering mate?

I'll double check with our postmaster , but , essentially , orange have arranged for their ip addresses on the phones to be on a grey-list , and most email servers won't therefore accept incoming emails from them.
The postmaster alterred a setting to allow username/password check from specific ip addresses and alow us to send that way.

Exact info by midday tomorrow , have an appointment first thing.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,
I am working for an UN agency and we use Novell Groupwise for work email and their webmail site when we are on the move.
I switched to Hero few weeks ago and since then I cannot use the webmail site with none of the browser that android have, I tried opera, dolphin, steel..all of them. no.
Any idea???
My gf says its better this way, at least I wont check email on vacations, but Its bothering me.
Salva

Do you know what version of GroupWise it is? If it's anything older than GroupWise 8 you may have issues. GW8 should work, though, at least with the "basic" WebAccess interface. Exactly what's not working?

Joe

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,
Any idea???
Salva

Ask your IT department to look at the new "Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack" solution from Novell. This will allow the current ActiveSync client technology built into most smart phones (iPhone, Android, etc) to sync to Novell GroupWise 8 and >. Your IT department can test this today in their test lab to an Android based phone and many other smart phones - see Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack Technology Preview

Once they get this installed, you can use the built in Android Corporate Email APP and Corporate Calendar APP in your DROID phone to connect to your corporate GroupWise 8 backend using the ActiveSync protocol. Steps to get this to work are outlined at http://gwguruman.fileave.com/DROID%20Setup%20-%20Novell%20Data%20Synchronizer%20 Mobility%20Pack.pdf

Upvote 0
If you want to use Novell Groupwise in K9 on your Android so you can keep track of your Groupwise account using POP3 and be able to send email, or any other account for that matter like a free Yahoo account, here is the best way I have found. We don't allow the POP3 sending to function with our Groupwise system but we do allow people to receive mail from their account. You can use your GMail to send and it still looks to the people who sent you mail to your GW account that you are responding or sending from your GW account.

Setup the mail account in K9, follow the defaults for the incoming server and that should work, get the IP for the server or the name your company uses and the standard ports should work, when you get to the outgoing server you will need to do this:

Outgoing Server = smtp.gmail.com
Security Type = TLS Always
Port = 587
put a check in require sign-in
Authentication type = PLAIN
Username = your GMail username, I didn't have to put the @gmail.com behind mine.
Password = password for your gmail account

Now here is the other thing that is cool, you need to go into your gmail account on your computer to set this up so when you send from your K9 Groupwise mail account it doesn't show your gmail address as the reply address. Login to your GMail account on a computer and click on:

1. Settings (Should be at the top right when you login to GMail by Help and Sing out), then:

2. Accounts and Imports (Second tab over when all the settings show up where your email usually shows up).

3. One of the headings under the Accounts and Import tab is Send mail as:, click on the button
- Send mail from another address -

4. Specify your name and put your Groupwise email address yourusername@yourcompany.whatever in the 2 boxes, click on the
botton - Next Step button -

5. Select Send through Gmail (Easier to set up) and then click on the button - Next Step -

6. Next you will need to send a varification email to yourself so just check to make sure you typed the email correctly
and click on the button - Send Verification -

7. Next you will get a window with a box waiting for you to type in the verification number, open your Groupwise
email and click F5 to refresh every couple seconds till you receive the verification email. Open the email, get the
verification number and put it in the Gmail box, you can copy and paste it.

8. Your finished with that now just make sure the (Reply from the same address the message was sent to) circle is
filled down below where you just added your address and your are finished.

Now when you reply to a message in your K9 WWPS account or create new message, your wwps email address will be in the message for people to see and reply to, not your GMail address.

If it doesn't seem to be working, make sure your gmail account info is all correct and remove the account from K9 and rebuild it.

When I setup my accounts in Android I also go into the account settings and set the sync/poll time to every half hour or every hour. I also turn off the setting to delete mail from my account when I delete it from K9 because it usually doesn't work anyway and when I sit down at my computer I want all my mail unread so I can go through it again to make appointments if needed. I also set the account to notify me if there is new mail but I turn off notify when it syncs and notify when it sends and the last thing I go into the composition defaults and turn off the brevity message that gets added to the end of the email.

Upvote 0
OK I hope someone might come back and see this. I've done the above setup and I'm about half way there. I've even set up a second gmail account to route outgoing messages through so I can set my work email address as the default. But I've got 2 problems. The first is every email I send as a test to my work account also gets sent to my gmail account even though that address isn't anywhere in k9 except the authetication fields. The other problem I have is our email filter is still seeing my gmail account somewhere and is blocking it 99% of the time. Anybody have any suggestions for fixing either of these issues.
Thanks Bryan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones