1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Anyone able to explain how rooting might affects Sync?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RedSun, Aug 25, 2011.

1. RedSun

RedSun Member
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    Refining & Marketing
    San Antonio, TX
    Wrote a post earlier...it got quarinetened as the mod thought i was asking for directions...not sure if anyone saw it so going to re-word it and re-post.

my company has a policy in place that says "no rooting is allowed", i suspect this is because of the fact that my company email server utilzies sync in some fashion to forward me emails. (if you can explain this process better, please do!). i will also add that the only "monitoring" that i know they say they enforce is a screen lock on phone and they have the ability to wipe the phone should it get lost, i leave, etc.

IF i were to root my phone, would...

A) my company somehow be able to find this out?

B) if yes to A, how would they be able to determine this if they only interact with emails?

C) if phone was rooted and my emails were still sync'd, how might that decrease the security of the phone and or mail snyc all together??

please note, i am NOT asking you HOW to do anything....(don

Advertisement

2. TigerC10

TigerC10 Newbie
    None

May 28, 2011
    The Android marketplace is full of apps that are infact malware/viruses in disguise. The reason being that apps are approved before they're vetted (unlike Apple and iPhone where source code is vetted before approval into the app store).

Under normal circumstances, malware/viruses won't have the ability to do *too* much on the phone - this is because root access is denied. When you root your phone, suddenly it becomes VERY easy for apps to be in places they're not supposed to be. Absolutely be sure you install SuperUser when rooting because without that you're at your most susceptible for malware/viruses.

Having said all that, they probably don't want to risk people downloading malware apps that try to send viruses to the entire corperate address book.

However, there's no way for them to tell if you've rooted your device unless you hand it over to them. So if you let them set up your e-mail, then root, you should be safe from getting caught.

ScandaLeX likes this.
  3. HDRBYRTG

HDRBYRTG Newbie
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    I think rooting would void the warranty from the carrier - so if it's company property (the phone that is) then this may be the basis of the policy - I guess you could always un-root once they provide those methods (if they havent already).