• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone able to tether from their phone?

jedeye87

Lurker
Mar 5, 2011
Hey, i just got the ns4g and one of the main reasons i got it is because of its free tethering. sort of like the n1, but whenever i try to tether the signal is present on my laptop but theres no internet bein accessed. was there some kind of fix or did sprint block this feature? all the help and advice would be great.

The hotspot is nice though, I used it on vacation (even on the drive) to share internet with the whole family. At home I'll use it for my laptop plus my kids play apps on my old Hero by connecting to it. Doesn't sound like people got much benefit from the update to outweigh the use of hotspot without needing to root.

Upvote 0
I got my phone about three weeks ago, and by the time I tried tethering, I could not get it to work at all. Gave me DNS error. Even called Sprint and had them turn on the Mobile Hotspot feature (they unblock something that allows you to connect up to six wireless devices to your phone as if it were a WiFi by itself). I tried it with my Wii for an evening, but the connection kept dropping every 5 mins.

Tethering is absolutely out of their plans, which sucks.

Does rooting the phone solve the tethering issue?

Upvote 0
I got my phone about three weeks ago, and by the time I tried tethering, I could not get it to work at all. Gave me DNS error. Even called Sprint and had them turn on the Mobile Hotspot feature (they unblock something that allows you to connect up to six wireless devices to your phone as if it were a WiFi by itself). I tried it with my Wii for an evening, but the connection kept dropping every 5 mins.

Tethering is absolutely out of their plans, which sucks.

Does rooting the phone solve the tethering issue?

Have you done the update that blocks tethering/hotspot?
I haven't done the update and I can still use it free without any problems

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones