• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone bought their Captivate from Letstalk? Some Questions

qwertyaas

Android Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2010
While looking at deals for the phone, I saw Letstalk has the phone for $125 with a line renewal. I have some questions about getting it though them though:

Does the warranty go to Samsung after 30 days or to ATT?I'm a bit weary of getting it from them with the current issues.

Also, if I get it from the ATT store, it's much easier to swap phones or even exchange to a different phone (iPhone). I'm not sure how they handle service termination (if I return the Captivate to Letstalk and then try to get an iPhone through ATT under the 30day window - I'm not sure how ATT will handle that?).

Does ATT pricematch at all to other retailers or what you see is what you get in terms of price?

I did what you are thinking of doing. I renewed my contract with AT&T and got a Captivate for $90 and a Samsung Mythic for free for my wife from LetsTalk. The phones are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (I placed the order mid afternoon on Sunday). I used last talk every two years for the last 8 years to buy my contracts and phones. Never had any issues, but this is my first smart phone purchase.

Since you bought the phone from LetsTalk you'll have to go through them if you have any issues/returns. Which is not a big deal for me; since I'm renewing I still have my old phone I can use if I have to return it the Captivate. If I had switched carriers and did not have a backup phone to go to then I probably wouldn't buy a smart phone through LetsTalk.

There's another thread saying if you're stern with customer service you may be able to get the same deal through the AT&T store. Link below:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/151232-t-gave-me-125-credit.html

Either way, good luck!

Upvote 0
I got my Captivate from Letstalk for $25 w/2-year contract renewal when the phone was first released. It was actually free w/$25 data plan, but I opted for $15 data plan, which bumped the price to $50 for the phone. Before I finalized my purchase, I looked up Letstalk coupon codes and found one for $25 off a phone w/plan purchase. Too bad you missed the free Captivate Letstalk promotion, it was back again a few days ago. I saw someone post a thread about it this past week.

Cannot answer any of your other questions since I've been happy with my Captivate and not bothered to look that stuff up. In my eyes, only issue with the phone is GPS, which is not that bad at all for me. A little inaccurate and a little slow sometimes, but I've been able to use Google Maps fine. And Samsung will fix GPS next month, so no more issues. If you dig around Letstalk website, you may find the information you are looking for, or you could email/call them too.

Iphone 4 is a sweet phone too. My friend and I compared her Iphone 4 to my Captivate, and they are about on par with each other. Both are fast, have beautiful displays, and have an obvious issue, Captivate with its GPS, and Iphone 4 with its antenna death-grip. She demonstrated for me the death-grip and I the GPS, and we both laughed because nothing is ever perfect. Some other things to consider are Iphone's front-facing camera and easy backup syncing, Captivate's swappable batteries/microSD cards, customization, and price.

If you do get the Captivate, for accessories, I highly recommend the poly-urethane full-body protectors (such as Phantom Skinz, Gadget Guard, etc) and extra Samsung Galaxy S OEM batteries. I got my protector and batteries through Ebay for cheap.

Upvote 0
After the botched the 'no contract' price fiasco at launch and them subsequently making me jump through the same hoops multiple times just to get the order canceled I'll not use them again.

I know they have cheap phones, but their customer service is terrible. I'd hate to have to deal with them on a serious problem.

Upvote 0
After the botched the 'no contract' price fiasco at launch and them subsequently making me jump through the same hoops multiple times just to get the order canceled I'll not use them again.

I know they have cheap phones, but their customer service is terrible. I'd hate to have to deal with them on a serious problem.

That botched price thing actually worked out for me. I managed to get an order in for the $229 no-contract price and after a couple of days, they emailed me stating that they had a website issue and that the $229 price could not be honored. However, they did offer me a $100 off and I was able to stay out of contract for $399.

Upvote 0
My worry is the GPS issue. If it were not working like some, I would exchange it. Problem is, if I keep getting lemons (not saying I will), and I opt to go to the iPhone, Letstalk doesn't carry the iPhone which could lead to an issue.

I heard of the deals earlier but since I'm only renewing a secondary line on a family plan, I get the smallest discount available (as opposed to new customer and upgrading a plan).

I also tried to call AT&T regarding a price match but they told me they don't and to buy it from the other retailers. It would be a different situation if I actually bought the phone from AT&T and then called but not sure that is worth the hassle when I can just get the price I want from LT.

As for accessory, I saw the silicon case with screen protectors going on Ebay on the cheap - I'll probably pick that up when I renew.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't trust them to honor any type of warranty or anything else for that matter. I too dealt with the botched pricing and had an order in for a non-contract phone. After a week they sent me an email saying that I had cancelled the order. I called them because they still had not returned my money to my credit card and was told that it would show up some time in the next week. When I complained the customer service person had me dig through several different links until I got to a page where it basically said they could do whatever they wanted. What I loved was how they hid their disclaimer. I can't trust a company that goes to those lengths to hide their real policies.

So in short, I would expect that if you order the phone from them and it doesn't work out that you will be screwed and stuck with it. If I were you I would print out their advertisement and see if I could get an AT&T store to price match.

Upvote 0
So in short, I would expect that if you order the phone from them and it doesn't work out that you will be screwed and stuck with it. If I were you I would print out their advertisement and see if I could get an AT&T store to price match.

Well I'm trying to call ATT Wireless to see if they would give me the credit once I upgrade my account (make a note on my account regarding a credit). I don't want to buy the phone from ATT and then try to get the credit - if they don't I probably won't return phone at that point but if I know beforehand they won't, I might opt to purchase through Wirefly/Costco/LT - whichever is reliable.

Upvote 0
I got my captivate from letstalk for free.

Also, my last phone was a sony ericsson that I got from them too, and it stopped working several months later, so I called at&t and the replaced it for me. The phone was selling for $200 and I got it from letstalk for free as well.

So it seems that AT&T doesn't keep track of where the phone is purchased. Hopefully my Captivate won't have problems but if it does I can play dumb with the best of 'em :)

Upvote 0
So it seems that AT&T doesn't keep track of where the phone is purchased. Hopefully my Captivate won't have problems but if it does I can play dumb with the best of 'em :)

I don't know. That's just what happened in my case. I guess it's possible because mine was a cheap dumb phone and they wanted to keep me using the service, they didn't bother checking. I mean the replacement was a refurbished phone so it it was a cheap way to please the customer.

Upvote 0
That botched price thing actually worked out for me. I managed to get an order in for the $229 no-contract price and after a couple of days, they emailed me stating that they had a website issue and that the $229 price could not be honored. However, they did offer me a $100 off and I was able to stay out of contract for $399.
They offered me the same thing, about 3 days after I had gone to the AT&T store and bought one off contract for $350 on launch day. I had gone in to a corporate store the day before and was quoted $350, and AT&T honored it the next day even though the price had 'officially' gone up to $499. For all of AT&T's other faults, that is an example of how you do business.

This was a simple case of AT&T announcing a price and Let's Talk wanting to beat it ... then AT&T decided at the last minute to raise its price to $499 and Let's Talk raised theirs in response to squeeze more money out of people. It was never a pricing error despite what they claimed and they could have honored the price but chose not to. Corporate Greed, plain and simple.

For those that have bought phones from them I hope all goes well and you never have issues, but I'll never trust them again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones