• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone Choose the RAZR over the Galaxy Nexus? Explain what u like about RAZR over Galaxy Nexus?

Its available now...lol.

For me its reception. Other phones may have gotten better, may be better, but I havent found or heard of any better in Android land yet for the most part.

If I had the money when the Bionic launched I might have gotten that. So it being available now might play a big part. I needed a new phone before the Bionic launched too.My Droid X1 is beat up bad. Still ticking tho, just looking like its been in a fight.

Upvote 0
For me its the fact that its here right now this second....I couldn't take my Bionics camera any more, and I was just itchin for a new phone!

However...alot of peeps on here now I've been a fairly big Nexus supporter for a while now! But with the lack of Flash, a supposedly annoying volume issue, and the same ol Samsung GPS lock issue being present....I've gotta say I'm cool with my Razr for now...Simple as that!

Upvote 0
For me its the fact that its here right now this second....I couldn't take my Bionics camera any more, and I was just itchin for a new phone!

However...alot of peeps on here now I've been a fairly big Nexus supporter for a while now! But with the lack of Flash, a supposedly annoying volume issue, and the same ol Samsung GPS lock issue being present....I've gotta say I'm cool with my Razr for now...Simple as that!

Adobe already said it was going to release a version for ICS. Plus, the volume issue was only present in the European version on a certain band.

Upvote 0
Adobe already said it was going to release a version for ICS. Plus, the volume issue was only present in the European version on a certain band.

When it comes out...if ever....lol! I'll hit the store up and mess around with it. But honestly I'm pretty happy with my Razr right now! Plus the one Nail in the coffin with any Samsung phones seems to be the GPS! Honestly, I would have thought Samsung would have fixed it by now, looks to be something they don't care about. As for the volume issue...We'll see when it releases here in the states, as for Flash,,,I don't think this is super high priority for Adobe right now. We'll see in the next few weeks how that comes along.

Either way... I'm cool with my Razr for now.

Upvote 0
Couldn't pass up the most innovative piece of equipment to hit the market. ICS holds no allure for me so it came down to build quality (gorilla glass, Kevlar, nanocoating, thinness) and the RAZR cannot be beat in that department.

What CK said....plus the removable and expandable SD card is a big plus to me. The 8mp camera over the 5 helped too!

Upvote 0
Galaxy Nexus is great because it always get the latest first and the screen is 720P.

RAZR is better because...

1. Premium Materials & Build Quality compared to another plastic samsung

2. Better Design & Way thinner than SGN

3. Hot Swappable Memory w/ up to 80GB storage compared to 16GB on SGN

4. 8MP Camera compared to 5MP on SGN

5. Radio/Reception is Stronger(At least on the xt910 HSPA version) & Flash Capable

Upvote 0
80GB how do you get that? SDHC slot only support 32gb of card and only 8gb of internal is available so you only for 40 gigs. No phones currently support SDXC(64GB-2TB) because its not yet compatable with micro sd tech.

Galaxy Nexus is great because it always get the latest first and the screen is 720P.

3. Hot Swappable Memory w/ up to 80GB storage compared to 16GB on SGN

Upvote 0

Don't forget no sd slot Sean, that is so Apple. ;)

Upvote 0
80GB how do you get that? SDHC slot only support 32gb of card and only 8gb of internal is available so you only for 40 gigs. No phones currently support SDXC(64GB-2TB) because its not yet compatable with micro sd tech.

True on the 64GB if left in ext format, but tons of success with devices up to a year old when formatting to fat32.

Upvote 0
I shattered my incredible, so needed a phone right away. I was going to get one of the nexus or razr anyway. Was undecided when I thought I could wait. Needing one right away made up my mind for me.

I like the durability and waterproofness of the razr. I have hard time keeping a phone alive for more than a year, I figure the razr gives me the best shot!

I'd take the nexus screen for sure. I can wait for ics until the bugs are worked out and all my must have apps support it.

It was nice to be able to just take my 32 gb card and put it in my new phone and not pay extra for storage I already have.

Upvote 0
The Razr camera is horrible. The Nexus Camera is meh but not horrendous. The 2 year old iPhone 4 (and new iPhone 4S) kills them.

#1) Battery life blows on my Razr. I'd forgive it if I could bring it into a store and have them swap my battery life, but this is Verizon and Motorola we're talking about, not a world class company like Apple.

#2) Screen. Same size device, bigger and better screen on Nexus. Actually Nexus is less wide.

#3) Faster. Nexus runs a faster GPU, it would be interesting to see whether ICS is slower feeling on the Razr because the GPU can't keep up the OS graphical acceleration. CPU wise, it likely runs cooler and uses less battery life on a higher binned processor.

#4) Modding and community - you can bet the Nexus is gonna get everything first and foremost.

Other major thing the Razr can't do:

5) Music Playback because the headphone jack is white noise/whine city. It's unacceptable and laughable at this day and age.

To be honest, if this Razr had no battery life issues and could double as an Mp3 player, I wouldn't be so hard on it. But because it's Motorola and we know the battery will die in a few months, and you lose sound quality... there's no reason to accept this level of device when there's cheaper and better out there.

So I'm returning it on December 8th for the Nexus, and if that one has major flaws, I'm going to give up and go back to iPhone 4S.

Upvote 0
Don't forget no sd slot Sean, that is so Apple. ;)

Lol....Rush for all the complaining we did about the Nexus not having an SD slot, I kind of just wrote it off, and forgot all about it! In my eyes, yours as well most likely ....I happen to think it was a Major mistake by Google to have Samsung build the Galaxy Nexus with out an SD slot..

Upvote 0
The Razr camera is horrible. The Nexus Camera is meh but not horrendous. The 2 year old iPhone 4 (and new iPhone 4S) kills them.

#1) Battery life blows on my Razr. I'd forgive it if I could bring it into a store and have them swap my battery life, but this is Verizon and Motorola we're talking about, not a world class company like Apple.

#2) Screen. Same size device, bigger and better screen on Nexus. Actually Nexus is less wide.

#3) Faster. Nexus runs a faster GPU, it would be interesting to see whether ICS is slower feeling on the Razr because the GPU can't keep up the OS graphical acceleration. CPU wise, it likely runs cooler and uses less battery life on a higher binned processor.

#4) Modding and community - you can bet the Nexus is gonna get everything first and foremost.

Other major thing the Razr can't do:

5) Music Playback because the headphone jack is white noise/whine city. It's unacceptable and laughable at this day and age.

To be honest, if this Razr had no battery life issues and could double as an Mp3 player, I wouldn't be so hard on it. But because it's Motorola and we know the battery will die in a few months, and you lose sound quality... there's no reason to accept this level of device when there's cheaper and better out there.

So I'm returning it on December 8th for the Nexus, and if that one has major flaws, I'm going to give up and go back to iPhone 4S.

Lol...maybe you missed the Title! Your in the Razr forums my man...not vice versa!

Either way...that's a little harsh! And your doing alot of assuming towards a phone you have most likely never held or used long term. We all pretty much have no idea how the Nexus is going to perform in the real world, or how it will hold up to every day tasks... Your post is pretty much running before walking in my eyes.

Once the phone is out for a week or two we'll all have a gauge on if and how its a better phone then the Razr.

Until then...the Razr is the champ!
And iPhone 4s? Seriously? If your into zero customization, tiny screens, and no 4G...I'd say that's the perfect phone to grab!

Reactions: EarlyMon and jroc
Upvote 0
Lol....Rush for all the complaining we did about the Nexus not having an SD slot, I kind of just wrote it off, and forgot all about it! In my eyes, yours as well most likely ....I happen to think it was a Major mistake by Google to have Samsung build the Galaxy Nexus with out an SD slot..

SD Slot? Removable battery? Who cares?

If the battery works well, we wouldn't. With 32gb fast internal storage, why would you need more?

Upvote 0
Lol...maybe you missed the Title! Your in the Razr forums my man...not vice versa!

Either way...that's a little harsh! And your doing alot of assuming towards a phone you have most likely never held or used long term. We all pretty much have no idea how the Nexus is going to perform in the real world, or how it will hold up to every day tasks... Your post is pretty much running before walking in my eyes.

Once the phone is out for a week or two we'll all have a gauge on if and how its a better phone then the Razr.

Until then...the Razr is the champ!
And iPhone 4s? Seriously? If your into zero customization, tiny screens, and no 4G...I'd say that's the perfect phone to grab!

4G? Useless if the phone dies after a few hours on 4G. I'll save a few seconds loading a webpage and phone is worthless for hours after that.

Customizations? I don't care. Never did. I need the phone to work well, play well, do its job. Not change fonts and resize windows.

The only reason I am trying Android again (had an OG Droid 2 years again, it was an awful user experience, but it was a nice free modem) is 4G. If iPhone 5 or 4S had 4G, there is 0 point in bothering with such inferior hardware makers and beta level feeling software like Gingerbread (Ice Cream Sandwhich, based on the reviews, FINALLY makes it seem like a finish software product).

I just sold my ancient iPhone 4 for $300 cash, I doubt I could sell this Razr for more than a hundred dollars. Wait, Amazon is giving it away for free...

Upvote 0
4G? Useless if the phone dies after a few hours on 4G. I'll save a few seconds loading a webpage and phone is worthless for hours after that.

Customizations? I don't care. Never did. I need the phone to work well, play well, do its job. Not change fonts and resize windows.

The only reason I am trying Android again (had an OG Droid 2 years again, it was an awful user experience, but it was a nice free modem) is 4G. If iPhone 5 or 4S had 4G, there is 0 point in bothering with such inferior hardware makers and beta level feeling software like Gingerbread (Ice Cream Sandwhich, based on the reviews, FINALLY makes it seem like a finish software product).

I just sold my ancient iPhone 4 for $300 cash, I doubt I could sell this Razr for more than a hundred dollars. Wait, Amazon is giving it away for free...

I get about 16 hours on 3G with my razr. When i'm uploading I'll switch to 4G (iPhone can't). inferior hardware makers? I must have seen a different iPhone then you....they have used basically same hardware since 2007 lol! I'd like to know 2 things iPhone can do better then a Droid.......because my friends with the 4s have failed every attempt so far.

Upvote 0

Before you get heavy flames, and get the whole your in an Android Forum, not an Apple forum! Take a step back and get what you like, its your money, your phone to buy! But what your talking about is moot and pretty worthless....no iPhone has a screen bigger then 3.5, or 4G! So everything your saying is *Would If* about the iPhone....as for the OG Droid, careful friend, that is a phone beloved by alot of members here...Your pretty much bashing Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich, which in essence is bashing Android! And that is not very cool, take a step back and get what you like, but don't come here and bash what we love about Android! Not cool my man...

Either way, enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Reactions: devortex and jroc
Upvote 0
In all honesty ICS brings nothing exciting to the table in my honest opinion. Moto has surprisingly done a fantastic job with their UI. I'm not chomping at the bit for face unlock, a permanent search bar and no current flash support. ICS is overrated just like every other iteration of Android that came before it.

The only reason some are making a big stink about it is because it offers a somewhat manufacturer looking and functioning UI.

I can wait for the update and have concerns when it drops on the RAZR.

Upvote 0
Folks, not sure the motive behind mzjin's posts, but seem like flame bait to me. The key thing is users and reviewers almost unanimously like the device. I was critical on the Razr (but not with empathic absolutes like mzjin) when compared to the Rezound- with DEMO units and until actually used the device out of store.

4G on any current device is going to stress a battery and will until 28nm next year. I use it when I need it (when not charging). No difference in general browsing and simple market updates with 3G and 4G. Even when streaming video, I notice most of the time, 3G keeps up.

No offense to mzjin, but the posts seem very biased and near zero objectivity- aka flame bait. If not intended (I hope not), that IS how it appears.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Added: In the US of course, or ex-patriots.

Reactions: jmj3783 and jroc
Upvote 0
For the benchmark crowd. The RAZR is the solid winner. Nexus takes the Sunspider (browsing should be great)

Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ review -- Engadget

Battery life matches the RAZR which MAY not fair to well on the LTE model.

"Battery life is excellent. While we only managed to squeeze about five hours and 15 minutes from our battery rundown test (where we play a looped video starting from a full charge), it matches what we saw with the Droid RAZR, which features a similar battery and processor"

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0

People are using 64GB cards in the RAZR no problemo read up! SO at worst you can have 72GB. If you wanna get technical then the Galaxy nexus won't even have 16GB after OS etc.;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones