• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone Choose the RAZR over the Galaxy Nexus? Explain what u like about RAZR over Galaxy Nexus?

....which only illustrates the quality (or otherwise) of most so-called online reviews. Let's stick to the topic and discuss real-life reason for choosing the Razr over the Nexus. ;)

He made it too easy :rolleyes:. Anyway, back on topic. I commandeered my friend's Razr for the day and while I don't have a Gnex to compare it to, Razr definitely seems to have a more premium feel. That, and expandable storage is always nice. So I would say at least those two things are advantages over the Nexus.

P.S.
Myriam actually does great reviews, even if she does say flattering things about another phone.

Upvote 0
If you just listen to loud rock music, you won't notice the crappy earphone jack.

The difference the white noise level between the Razr, an iPHone/iPod is just astounding. It's basically constant level of background noise vs complete silence.

Really shoddy hardware quality.

I have to say, you honestly sound like you're trolling. I dont know anyone who detests their phone as much as you do and has nothing nice to say about it ever, would still keep the phone.

Sine almost all the things you say are so contrary to actual user experiences and professional reviews (e. g. 'shoddy hardware quality' when every single pro review goes out of their wat to mention the SUPERB quality?????), it sometimes makes me wonder if you actually own the phone. :rolleyes:

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
....I already bought a small emergency battery pack for times I travel or may be away from a charger for 12+ hours. I don't expect huge problems with battery life and my experience has been on par to my expectations (normal android battery life) thus far.
To me the battery issue is a non issue. In that, regardless of which phone I got, I was going to do the same--get an external battery pack. I have so many "spare" batteries from all my old phones lying around I don't know what to do with them. And until they make a "hot swappable" battery, the hassle of guessing when to shut down, then losing whatever you were doing, and waiting a minute for reboot, is just silly when an external pack carries much more juice and keeps you going real time.

So, once the two hardware choices were reduced to one, the big factor was the removable SD card. Razr wins that one.

Reactions: jroc and Szadzik
Upvote 0
To me the battery issue is a non issue. In that, regardless of which phone I got, I was going to do the same--get an external battery pack. I have so many "spare" batteries from all my old phones lying around I don't know what to do with them. And until they make a "hot swappable" battery, the hassle of guessing when to shut down, then losing whatever you were doing, and waiting a minute for reboot, is just silly when an external pack carries much more juice and keeps you going real time.

So, once the two hardware choices were reduced to one, the big factor was the removable SD card. Razr wins that one.

Very, very true.

Upvote 0
I have to say, you honestly sound like you're trolling. I dont know anyone who detests their phone as much as you do and has nothing nice to say about it ever, would still keep the phone.

Sine almost all the things you say are so contrary to actual user experiences and professional reviews (e. g. 'shoddy hardware quality' when every single pro review goes out of their wat to mention the SUPERB quality?????), it sometimes makes me wonder if you actually own the phone. :rolleyes:

Um, my Razr is being returned on 12/8. Or whenever the Galaxy Nexus drops. Or if that fails it's back to iPhone 4S.

Upvote 0
If you just listen to loud rock music, you won't notice the crappy earphone jack.

The difference the white noise level between the Razr, an iPHone/iPod is just astounding. It's basically constant level of background noise vs complete silence.

Really shoddy hardware quality.

Not hearing this and have a few pairs of really good buds. If any will pick it up, my 13ohm Ultimate Ears will. Though they really pick up 128kb encoded issues with instruments, I hear no noise that you mention while playing songs, regardless of bitrate.

I have an iPod4 64gb and though prefer that device for music, I do not notice what you mention at all.

Added:

S4s do not pick it up either.

Upvote 0
Another quote from the review...

"Let's not beat around the bush. The Galaxy Nexus is definitely the best Android phone available today -- "

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

With the larger high res screen, 4460 SoC and 4G a rolling, I look forward to the "battery life sux" threads with popcorn and a Pepsi :) If VZW ships the 16gb version, there will be even more fun posts due to that as well ;)

Joking of course, since the Nexus seems a no-brainer to be a good device, but if ICS is the litmus for its perceived greatness, the Razr & Rezound (to name two) are getting ICS as well.

I suggest ICS will be better on devices with capacitive buttons, since all devices will not have big displays like the Nexus, so smaller usable space and lower resulting resolution. Not to mention display buttons are a lot easier to hit by mistake.

Upvote 0
Ive had more chance to delve into this phone since last night. Firstly, I use a set of blue tooth headphones, and let me say the fidelity is definitely better than my Droid X2. The ONLY things I don't like so far are:

Width of the phone - it's just a bit too wide.

Location of power button - kind of a pain for me and not the easiest to press in.

Volume rocker buttons are also not as easy to find or push in like on my DX or DX2.

So far, that's the real extent of my complaints. I now feel the screen is superior to my DX2 which feels somewhat washed out in comparison. No, it's not nearly as bright as my DX2, but overall I definitely have grown to prefer it so far at least. I can see this phone keeping me happy for 6 months at least until the next big tech (quad cores) are hitting the market. :)

Upvote 0
Ive had more chance to delve into this phone since last night. Firstly, I use a set of blue tooth headphones, and let me say the fidelity is definitely better than my Droid X2. The ONLY things I don't like so far are:

Width of the phone - it's just a bit too wide.

Location of power button - kind of a pain for me and not the easiest to press in.

Volume rocker buttons are also not as easy to find or push in like on my DX or DX2.

So far, that's the real extent of my complaints. I now feel the screen is superior to my DX2 which feels somewhat washed out in comparison. No, it's not nearly as bright as my DX2, but overall I definitely have grown to prefer it so far at least. I can see this phone keeping me happy for 6 months at least until the next big tech (quad cores) are hitting the market. :)

I said the same thing about my x2. Display looked washed out!

Upvote 0
A reminder of my post #36 in this topic:

So far this topic is proceeding along just fine. So long as it remains like that, and nobody falls into the trap of simply bad-mouthing one device in favour of another, I see no problems.

Either keep the discussion on-topic or it will be locked. We've got more than enough to do keeping AF running smoothly without constantly dousing flame wars.

edit: the "Report..." button is there for a reason. Please use it if you have an issue with a post.

Thank you.

Reactions: Kelmar
Upvote 0
If, there is commentary by an individual in this or another sub-forum that's really bothering you (for whatever reason), another (and sometimes easier) solution is to use the ignore feature. From the web browser, go to "UserCP", then scroll down to settings, and then click on "Edit Ignore List". You can then specify member names that you wish to ignore. Save your changes and you will no longer see the detail of their posts.

Upvote 0
The GPS problem has been debunked as false from the SGSII on. FWIW, my Continuum locks on faster than my Incredible ever did.

As for the radio, the Thunderbolt and Bionic had multiple problems with theirs meaning that radio tech and the way it interacts with the rest of the HW has dramatically improved since the first generation of LTE phones from all companies. Might the Nexus still have problems? Sure, but saying it before anyone has really had the chance to evaluate it is kind of ignorant.

The Verizon Samsung Charge, just 4 months old, has the GPS locking problem. I know first hand.

Same with the LTE radio. Samsung Charge is horrible keeping the connection.

Lets hope Samsung upgraded the parts, but the Charge is a relatively new phone.

Upvote 0
#3) Faster. Nexus runs a faster GPU, it would be interesting to see whether ICS is slower feeling on the Razr because the GPU can't keep up the OS graphical acceleration. CPU wise, it likely runs cooler and uses less battery life on a higher binned processor.

The RAZR also uses a lower resolution screen, so it shouldn't need as fast of a GPU to get similar performance.

Upvote 0
Not hearing this and have a few pairs of really good buds. If any will pick it up, my 13ohm Ultimate Ears will. Though they really pick up 128kb encoded issues with instruments, I hear no noise that you mention while playing songs, regardless of bitrate.

I have an iPod4 64gb and though prefer that device for music, I do not notice what you mention at all.

Added:

S4s do not pick it up either.

I wonder if maybe there is a problem with some of the headphone jacks on the razr. I used my phone to stream music to my car stereo for the first time today, and it was downright horrible. The sounds quality was so bad that it couldn't have been normal. I tried both Pandora and downloaded music with the same results. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking maybe I should take it back and try another one..

Upvote 0
The Verizon Samsung Charge, just 4 months old, has the GPS locking problem. I know first hand.

Same with the LTE radio. Samsung Charge is horrible keeping the connection.

Lets hope Samsung upgraded the parts, but the Charge is a relatively new phone.

The Charge is a single core phone that likely uses the same GPS as their other Galaxy S1 phones. Multiple users of the SII have posted up stating that their GPS locks immediately. It was a hit or miss problem anyway, as I stated my Continuum locks consistently within 5 seconds if outdoors or in a vehicle.

I honestly believe that the LTE radios used by these phones operate much better in a dual-core setting, case in point would be the Thunderbolt and its much maligned battery life woes related to LTE vs. the Rezound which uses the exact same LTE radio but gets spectacular battery life.

As was posted earlier in the thread, until LTE chips are reduced to the 28nm cycle, they will never be power sippers, no matter the manufacture but almost all have shown great improvement from their 1st generation LTE handsets to their second.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones