1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Anyone Come From a Droid 2?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Puddin422, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Puddin422

Puddin422 Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    Crossville, TN
    Anyone in here go from Droid 2 to Charge? Likes and dislikes? Thanks. :)

Advertisement

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Compared to the D2, or even DX, the screen is stunning. Sharp colors and deep blacks. LTE is obviously a plus. The camera is also much better.
    On the negative side, the charge has a more plastic feel, but isnt as heavy because of it. You will also get less battery life and probably tad bit worse signal.
    Very solid upgrade though (if you want 4G)

3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Can't help you with Droid2 to Charge but if you need Epic to Charge, I can help. :)

4. Puddin422

Puddin422 Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    Crossville, TN
    Nah, not me. Asking for a friend. :)

5. DERIS12

DERIS12 Well-Known Member
    None

May 6, 2010
    I am a former droid 2 user

6. Cilraaz

Cilraaz Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 14, 2010
    + The screen is a brand new world compared to the D2, in both size and quality
    + LTE
    + Much better camera
    + If your friend is in to modifications, the unlocked bootloader is a HUGE plus

- Plastic-y feel (I found the VZW case/holster combo helped with this, for me)
    - Much lower battery life (mostly drained by the screen)
    - Low memory device, though that can be helped with the V6 Supercharger Script
    - In areas of low signal, the device seems to try so hard to find signal that currently playing media can get choppy. This happens to me in my workplace, which is essentially a shielded building. I am usually at 1 bar of 3G or 1-2 bars of 1X service. Sometimes my podcasts (previously downloaded) will skip while playing when the phone's searching for signal.
    - Some general oddities from Android 2.2.1, such as WinAmp randomly starting when turning off a bluetooth device. I can't say whether this is firmware or app based, though.

I haven't noticed too much difference in signal, compared to the D2. At work, my D2 got the same crappy signal levels listed above. At home, I'm in a 4G area, so speeds are night and day different. WiFi shows lower connectivity, but I almost wonder if it's not just icon based, as I don't notice any lower speeds than my D2 was able to achieve (and being right next to router doesn't even guarantee full WiFi bars).

Overall, I would say it was a great upgrade (and I got the phone when it was a $299 upgrade through VZW). If I had it to do again, I would still take this phone over the D2. Yes, I have more minuses than pluses listed above, but the minuses are fairly minor to me. The biggest annoyance is the stuttering media when the device struggles for signal, but it's not really a deal breaker for me.