1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Anyone concerned about the weight and thickness?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jackdubl, Oct 29, 2014.

1. jackdubl

jackdubl Android Expert

I remember having an HTC Thunderbolt, and it weighed 177 grams, and the thing was like toting a heavy brick around in my front pocket. This thing weighs 176 grams. It's also over 11mm thick and not so tapered as a Moto X. This thing is going to be big and HEAVY. I know they wanted the large battery, but I remember getting off that Thunderbolt for a lighter Samsung Galaxy, and it was a WORLD of difference. Anyone think this may be a problem? This is the only alternative I see to removable battery phones, but with those I get the benefit of infinite battery life AND a thin, light phone.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Bearcats

Bearcats Android Enthusiast

Its 1.5mm (or .01 inch .39 Moto .38 DNA) thicker than my current DNA. I doubt I, as a person, would ever notice that.

Weight would be a butt dyno type of a thing for me. I would have to heft them together and compare to see if 1.24 oz really makes a difference.

Given the current phone I carry it is so close I doubt Ill notice it all that much, if at all.

Turbo
    Imperial = 5.65 x 2.89 x 0.44 inches
    Metric = 143.5 x 73.3 x 11.2
    Wgt = 6.21 oz (176 g)

DNA
    Imperial = 5.55 x 2.78 x 0.38 in
    Metric = 141 x 70.5 x 9.7
    Wgt = 4.97 oz (141.7 g)

3. jackdubl

jackdubl Android Expert

I think the 176 to 141 grams will feel significant. I just went by my local store to see if I could hold one a day early. No dice there, but asked the clerk about it and he said the very first thing he noticed about the phone was the weight. And he said it was freaking heavy.

4. PeninaD

PeninaD Member

Yeowch, my Droid Razr Maxx was spec'd at 145g.

5. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

No, I'm not concerned at all. I have a droid maxx at 167g. I want a phone with a more than all day battery, and I don't care if it's a few mm thicker than it could be (at the expense of battery size.)

That said, this phone is thinner than an htc one m8 or Galaxy s5 with just a few more grams.

6. Dagr

Dagr Well-Known Member

I like it... feels very sturdy & I absolutely love the ballistic nylon (much more than I thought I would). I guess coming from a Note 3 it's hard to not feel like its a smaller more agile phone though.... *grin*. The weight though feels very good to me in hand.

7. vr4

vr4 Well-Known Member

In my pocket it feels smaller than my RAZR maxx

8. LizMac

LizMac Android Enthusiast

Thing feels so light and thin to me that I have it in a Lifeproof case to feel like I'm carrying something!! I know it's heavier (a bit) than my Maxx, but it doesn't feel like it.

9. Bogie

Bogie Member

It feels pretty light actually. The hard part for me is getting used to the slipperiness of the nylon backing. I keep thinking it is going to slide out of my hands.

10. -=Jeff=-

-=Jeff=- Android Expert

Got mine today.. Briefly checked it out.. It looks good and not much bigger than my maxx it seems

Hoping to set it up tonight

Motorola Droid Turbo Forum

The Motorola Droid Turbo release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 21MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3900mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews