• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone considering giving up Android for iPhone 4S?

I am very interested in getting the 4S, but I don't know if I can handle the screen size. Going from 4.3 to 3.5 seems like a down grade. Does anyone else agree, or have similar concerns?

Yep, that's the main reason I didn't get it. Last two phones were the Evo 4G and the 3D. The iPhone felt so tiny in comparison and hard to read desktop versions of websites.

Upvote 0
Yep, that's the main reason I didn't get it. Last two phones were the Evo 4G and the 3D. The iPhone felt so tiny in comparison and hard to read desktop versions of websites.

I think I'd agree. It's hard to go back once you've had a bigger screen unless you're just someone who values "smaller". I'm a firm believer that smaller is NOT always better. Just like "ultra thin" is not necessarily the greatest. I once got rid of a great little phone because it was TOO thin. Felt like it would go shooting out of my hand like a bar of soap. I now have a myTouch 4G Slide which is heavier and thicker because of the keyboard but not overly so and I am very happy with it. It feels like I actually have something substantial in my hand and I'm not afraid I'm going to drop it. The iPhone/iTouch/iPods etc. are well built but just to small and thin for my taste.

Upvote 0
If the Droid X does not get ICS - I understand it's up to the manufacturer (Motorola) and the carrier (Verizon) - then I am absolutely going to get an iPhone 4S. I'm tired of paying premiums for Android phones, only to have it be left behind a few months after purchase because of a new model which quickly replaces it. At least Apple supports their phones for many years after release.

There's not confirmation yet, but I don't see why Motorola will support the Droid X with them focusing on the X2, X3, Bionic, RAZR, etc. My decision is made; I only need confirmation one way or another.

Upvote 0
If the Droid X does not get ICS - I understand it's up to the manufacturer (Motorola) and the carrier (Verizon) - then I am absolutely going to get an iPhone 4S. I'm tired of paying premiums for Android phones, only to have it be left behind a few months after purchase because of a new model which quickly replaces it. At least Apple supports their phones for many years after release.
I disagree. If you want to get an iPhone because you like the iPhone, then definitely go for it. But if you actually like Android but just want to get the latest upgrade, then ditch your Droid for a Nexus phone. The Nexus One continues to get new versions of Android very soon after they're released, as will the Nexus S, as will the Galaxy Nexus.

Upvote 0
I disagree. If you want to get an iPhone because you like the iPhone, then definitely go for it. But if you actually like Android but just want to get the latest upgrade, then ditch your Droid for a Nexus phone. The Nexus One continues to get new versions of Android very soon after they're released, as will the Nexus S, as will the Galaxy Nexus.

I'll give you that point in favor of Apple. I learned my lesson long ago. I will never buy ANY phone if it doesn't already have what I want, thinking it will get an update. To many unkept promises.

Upvote 0
Here is a link to the tests on several benchmarks with the iPhone 4S coming out ahead of the Android phones as well as a browser test video. In fact, the only Android device that came close to matching the A5 chip in the 4S was the Galaxy Tab. You can look at the related videos from this one for more.

AnandTech - iPhone 4S Preliminary Benchmarks: ~800MHz A5, Slightly Slower GPU than iPad 2, Still Very Fast

Iphone 4s Browser faster than Samsung Galaxy S II.mp4 - YouTube

He didn't clean out the cookies or anything else in this video on the GSII. I'm not saying that makes much of a difference, but you could also see in the status bar of the GSII that it was having an issue with the wifi connection, which is why the website wasn't loading.

I don't know why the guy bothered putting up the second half of the video, because it isn't a "fair" comparison, as he would have put it. Plus - everyone knows having wifi devices that close to each other distorts the signal for both devices which is why I NEVER understood the point of these videos.

Upvote 0
Swype is overrated. The stock Gingerbread keyboard is still the best and fastest I've used.

As for web browsing--yes, Safari kind of stinks in terms of rendering for mobile (pinch-to-zoom is a great feature for photos and maps, but for a website, it shouldn't be necessary). That's why it's a good thing you can install Dolphin or Opera for the iPhone for free.

NOPE. Swype is the best thing since sliced bread. Better than any keyboard going.

Upvote 0

I'm not a huge fan of iOS but I do like Apple's support of their products. As I'm sure it's been said a million times over, Android is horribly fractured and it's mostly because there's three players involved for every phone... the OS manufacturer (Google), the hardware manufacturer (in this case, Motorola), and the carrier (in this case, Verizon). I've been burned twice by Android... first with an HTC Eris and now possibly with my Droid X. What scares me is buying yet another Android-powered phone and having it become unsupported somehow shortly after release. Who's to say that if I buy a Galaxy Nexus that the same thing won't happen?

Upvote 0
I say. And so does history. Nexus One and Nexus S have historically gotten everything faster than any other Android phone.

Okay, but allow me to ask a few more questions, mostly because I've never had a Galaxy or Nexus phone:

1. The new Galaxy Nexus is by Samsung, correct? So that means that even though it's a Nexus phone, won't consumers have to put up with Samsung's bloatware and/or Samsung's notoriously slow reputation of releasing upgrades and/or patches?

2. Does the Galaxy Nexus only come as a 4G LTE-only phone, or will it be available in a 3G flavor? I ask because Verizon already gets a huge chunk of my money every month, and I'm not giving them any more for faster speeds that I don't want or need.

Upvote 0
Okay, but allow me to ask a few more questions, mostly because I've never had a Galaxy or Nexus phone:

1. The new Galaxy Nexus is by Samsung, correct? So that means that even though it's a Nexus phone, won't consumers have to put up with Samsung's bloatware and/or Samsung's notoriously slow reputation of releasing upgrades and/or patches?
  2. Does the Galaxy Nexus only come as a 4G LTE-only phone, or will it be available in a 3G flavor? I ask because Verizon already gets a huge chunk of my money every month, and I'm not giving them any more for faster speeds that I don't want or need.

1.) No. The hardware is by Samsung, the code comes from Google, as do the upgrades.

2.) There is no such thing as an LTE only phone AFIAK, that would be highly impractical.

Upvote 0
1.) No. The hardware is by Samsung, the code comes from Google, as do the upgrades.

2.) There is no such thing as an LTE only phone AFIAK, that would be highly impractical.

Thanks for the fast reply. Let me clarify my 2nd question: What I meant is, Is the Galaxy Nexus available as a 3G phone or is it 4G LTE only? I know that the 4G LTE version will be backwards-compatible with the 3G network... what I mean is, Verizon will charge you even more for a 4G LTE phone even if you don't want/need 4G LTE speeds. Will a 3G-only version of the Galaxy Nexus be available? Does that make better sense?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the fast reply. Let me clarify my 2nd question: What I meant is, Is the Galaxy Nexus available as a 3G phone or is it 4G LTE only? I know that the 4G LTE version will be backwards-compatible with the 3G network... what I mean is, Verizon will charge you even more for a 4G LTE phone even if you don't want/need 4G LTE speeds. Will a 3G-only version of the Galaxy Nexus be available? Does that make better sense?

The idea behind the Nexus phone concept is to present a series of cutting-edge, top-of-the-line devices ... phones that show off the latest capabilities. Given that, it's very unlikely that you'll ever see an entry-level Nexus phone.

In other words ... if you want a Nexus, expect premium pricing and all the bells and whistles they can muster. And right now, that means LTE.

Upvote 0
Aren't Verizon's data prices the same whether one is using 3g or LTE?

For me, the bigger question for a light data user would be how much the LTE capability will impact a device's battery life ...

You're right... I was under the impression that Verizon charged more for data for a 4G-capable phone. I didn't realize that they decided to keep the plan cost the same. Thanks for clarifying, as that helps a lot.

Upvote 0
The idea behind the Nexus phone concept is to present a series of cutting-edge, top-of-the-line devices ... phones that show off the latest capabilities. Given that, it's very unlikely that you'll ever see an entry-level Nexus phone.

In other words ... if you want a Nexus, expect premium pricing and all the bells and whistles they can muster. And right now, that means LTE.

I'm fine with cutting-edge, but I was concerned that a 4G LTE plan would cost more than my current 3G plan. I did some quick searching around after your other post and found that Verizon opted NOT to charge more for 4G, even though they went with tiered plans. I thought they did, but glad to see they didn't. Thanks again for the clairification.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones