• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else experience screen burn-in??

I got my vzw galaxy on july 10th, and have certainly got my fair use out of it. But as I always use low brightness settings to save battery I never expected to experience burn in so quickly.

I started seeing it a few weeks ago on certain applications with bright colored backgrounds. Now I see it almost all the time, and I'm kinda disappointed. My buddies gnex has been on for 6 months longer and he has no problems.

Has anyone else experienced this? Have you sent in for a return?

*I did the BurnInTesterPro and it showed more then I could even see*

Lastly, if the same problem happens again. Has anyone ever returned a phone in replacement of another device? I won't have a phone for 2 years that has screen burn in, thats just poor quality.

I'm not suggesting that it is something you should have to live with, but do any of those "Burn-in Tester" apps have a screen wipe or white wash? You should be able to reverse the effects of burn-in. You could also run the app/screen that seems to be burned-in, but with the screen colors inverted. Let it be that way for half to a full hour or so.

I didn't even think it was possible to have burn-in with an LED screen.

All types of fixed pixel displays have the possibility of image retention/burn-in. More likely in some types of displays than others, sure, but none are impervious to it.

Reactions: icerado
Upvote 0
Mine has a burn-in of a Ms. PacMan screen.....so disappointed.

Well I talked to both samsung and verizon. Seems like Verizon is going to send me a replacement phone with no charge. They didn't mention anything about the warranty but they said the typical "if any water or physical damage is found you have to pay x amount of dollar"

I don't know if it can be reversed, nor do I really care at this point. Its not my job to fix something that is broken unless I'm the one that caused it.

I wanted to know how other phones were holding up. Seems like overall its not an issue

Upvote 0
It also worried me, but it's not very likely on the S3, some people are unluckier than others. As long as you don't keep the same thing on the screen over a long period then you should be fine :)

I know that keeping things on for a long period generally causes this. But I never have my phone on for more then 15-20 at a time MAX. Usually at work I pick it up, check messages, and back off it goes. I never have anything but auto-brightness which is why I was sort of confused.

I think you are right in saying its just unlucky. This is my first samsung phone and I've loved every minute up until this. I'm willing to give it another shot.

Upvote 0
I know that keeping things on for a long period generally causes this. But I never have my phone on for more then 15-20 at a time MAX. Usually at work I pick it up, check messages, and back off it goes. I never have anything but auto-brightness which is why I was sort of confused.

I think you are right in saying its just unlucky. This is my first samsung phone and I've loved every minute up until this. I'm willing to give it another shot.

There have been alot of faulty batches of SGS3's so hopefully your replacement should be fine :)

Upvote 0

This is a very "dumb" way of explaining it, but the image retention happens when some pixels get used more than other pixels. Random images and motion across the entire screen help make sure that all pixels "wear" at the same rate. Even if you are using your screen in short bursts, if it is essentially the same screen over and over, then you could be contributing to burn-in.

All that said, I think it is important for EVERYONE reading this to realize that what really happened is that you got unlucky. It isn't your fault, but some combination of circumstances (both in and out of your control) aligned in such a way that you got burned (pun intended). I wouldn't anticipate anyone needing to put forth any effort to change their habits in order to accommodate these screens.

Upvote 0
How would an "unlucky" manufacturing defect make a screen very burnable? Is there a way to build the screen "wrong" so that it is prone to burn in? I'm not an engineer so I don't know.

People are always trying to find new things to worry about with their coveted new toys. I'm not going to lose sleep over the burn-in issue, personally.

Upvote 0
How would an "unlucky" manufacturing defect make a screen very burnable? Is there a way to build the screen "wrong" so that it is prone to burn in? I'm not an engineer so I don't know.

People are always trying to find new things to worry about with their coveted new toys. I'm not going to lose sleep over the burn-in issue, personally.

I don't know either, but I've seen a few people have the burn in problem after just a few months or even weeks yet there are many others who don't have the burn in problem at all.

So rather there is a bad batch or those people are lying when they say they don't use it in a way to get burn in (such as high brightness with long lasting static image), but i don't see why they'd need to lie about it to be honest.

Some people are so paranoid about burn in that they actually think they're seeing burn in when they're not. My fiancee came to me saying her S3 had burn in, when I had a look there was no burn in at all, she was just being paranoid :D

Upvote 0
This is a very "dumb" way of explaining it, but the image retention happens when some pixels get used more than other pixels.

I understand what you are saying, however I am not about to go to extremes and explain my entire day of phone use. General use is on/off and in/out of apps so the point was I never keep the same screen on long enough to cause this.

Upvote 0

Well, operating temperature (of the screen) is a contributing factor. Could just be running hot.

I understand what you are saying, however I am not about to go to extremes and explain my entire day of phone use. General use is on/off and in/out of apps so the point was I never keep the same screen on long enough to cause this.

Nor would I expect you to. Just saying that on/off doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as "no static images". The same image (think app drawer or notification bar) appearing every time the phone is on, with little variance, can have a similar effect.

At any rate, I'd expect a replacement if I were you, as this isn't something you should need to account for in normal operation.

Upvote 0
Well, operating temperature (of the screen) is a contributing factor. Could just be running hot.

Nor would I expect you to. Just saying that on/off doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as "no static images". The same image (think app drawer or notification bar) appearing every time the phone is on, with little variance, can have a similar effect.

At any rate, I'd expect a replacement if I were you, as this isn't something you should need to account for in normal operation.

This seems hard to believe, because pretty much EVERYONE has the Notification Bar as a "static image". By this logic, everyone would have "AT&T" or "4G" or whatever burned into their screens.

I'm wondering whether people are seeing phantoms. The post just above says as much ...."I saw burn in a few weeks ago but now it's gone" I don't think if it was really burn in, it can then disappear over time.

The one positive I take from this is that there are some good people out there who have good lives and therefore not much "real" to worry about, so they can worry about whether their phones are maybe getting burned in like old Ms. PacMan consoles at the local bowling alley. :)

Reactions: CuBz
Upvote 0
This seems hard to believe, because pretty much EVERYONE has the Notification Bar as a "static image". By this logic, everyone would have "AT&T" or "4G" or whatever burned into their screens.

You aren't taking that statement in the context of everything else I have said. At no point did I suggest that everyone, or most people for that matter, should be cautious of burn-in from their notification bar.

First off, it is extremely unlikely that, under a wide-range of uses, you, or anyone will have image retention. Even with something as static as a notification bar or app drawer.

Second, full-screen apps, videos, and using the phone in landscape mode randomize the images on that portion of the screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones