1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Anyone else feel kind of meh about the SGS3 now?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lock-N-Load, May 4, 2012.

1. matttye

matttye Android Expert

They have to make devices that people want to keep though, not just sell. Imagine they sold a phone with by far the best specs in the world, only to have loads of people return it because the specs don't actually improve the experience that much? Specs can be a detriment, especially where battery life is concerned.

If they added so many specs they would have to add a huge battery to accommodate the power needs, and they would need to alter the design of the phone (make it fatter) to accommodate the big battery. Given the current rage of everyone fighting to have the slimmest smartphone, this wouldn't be a wise thing to do.

Samsung could have stuck a 12MP camera in there to take advantage of the less tech savvy consumers, but it's a good thing (for us) that they didn't.

Samsung is now the largest smartphone vendor in the world... it makes sense for them to have their own event for their flagship.

2. chillout010

chillout010 Newbie

I'm satisfied with the specs, they're more than enough for me.

But the design bothers me. A lot. It's just an ugly phone, period.

I know functionality is more important, but there's a limit. And if it's really going to be $800 or so then forget it, there's no way I'm getting a S3.

3. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert

Get the SII heh. It's cheaper now. Although getting a new original (Non G model) won't be easy. The PPI is what bothers me now, I want more PPI in my next phone's screen.

4. Bnice

Bnice Guest

I see some are not to crazy about the design and neither am I. Two features I like is the one when your are broswing the web and a call come in, you can just put the phone to your ear to answer. Second that pop up play feature where you can still play and watch a video while doing other activities on the phone.

5. someguy43210

someguy43210 Well-Known Member

I think with all these demands, with kevlar body and big rams, it would drive the cost of the phone up to over $1k. (Even though people will be shocked when they learned the cost for all the actual parts that make up the device.)

No the S4 is going to be better battery wise being 22nm and based on the Cortex A15 and using same battery size. Secondly, I'm not trying to play Crysis or have 20 apps spy on me at the same time to need 3gb of ram. It would get Cyanogen installed very quickly.

There are some positives. It's Exynos quad core makes it the fastest phone out right now. For those who is going to buy subsidized carrier locked version, too bad. And the Wolfson DAC alone is a compelling enough reason to get it.

I prefer Samsung design, where the frame edge is protruding so when it drops face down on a flat floor it won't break the screen. Plastic is fine because that makes it more flexible so break less easily. This can potentially makes it easier to open up the phone and replace parts too, unlike the One X. I do think the look of this phone is too metrosexual. My ideal look is a monolithic block like the Xperia S.

There is no camera shot posted so I can't make a conclusion, but at least it has the same shutter speed as the Nexus, but better image quality. If its as good as the SII then I'm happy enough, that is mighty fine for cellphone quality. However, this also means one less reason to upgrade if you already have an SII. Front camera, well the 2MP for the Note can show faces clearly, it should be as good.

Overall, I'm guessing the price for USA will be about $750 after VAT, which is about the same price as the Nexus and Note when they were released. The thing was, when I bought the Note, I came from a slow single core phone, I was willing to pay that high price. If I already have an SII or Note or Nexus, its just not as compelling to spend that much again for not as big of change (unless you have money to burn of course). Samsung will have to reduce the price to compete with the HTC One series or lose sales, in the end I think its good for customers but we need more of these flagship devices competing so it drive down the cost. I just can't imagine spending $800 on a cellphone again like for the Note, as good as a device it was, this is due to all the reduction in price for some very good recent devices (Nexus $399, Note $499, HTC One X $600). Anyway, SIII is a skip for me, unless my price estimation turned out to be $150 too much, in that case, I'll wait for the American release date where the international version will lower even more.

6. AM2

AM2 Android Enthusiast

it was posted in another thread that there's an app called "stick it" that does this...I verified

ORD84 and someguy43210 like this.
  7. darkestred

darkestred Android Enthusiast

Did you guys really expect this thing to be a world beater? Have you not learned anything with technology? We live in an age where our technology tomorrow could destroy technology today. Call it capitalism, call it Americanized call it whatever, but at the end of the day it comes down to milking us for everything we got, year in and year out. Get used to it. Stop creating ridiculous dreams, standards and hopes.

8. Android26

Android26 Android Enthusiast

I read every post above me carefully and did not come across one single feature suggestion that was necessary and realistic. Especially in the OP.

Samsung very well could have blown us all away with specs that out did the competition in every way. But so what? The price would've blown us away too. And not in a good way.

They did what they could to release the "next big thing" at a competitive price. Its a business competition, not an engineering one.

I think the problems are coming just because of all the hype that we created ourselves. We all knew what Samsung was capable of and we let our imaginations get the best of us.

After the initial shock phase we're going through subsides (this isn't the spec monster we had imagined), and we're able to go to the store and play with the phone for ourselves, we'll wake up and realize the SGS3 is not just "meh."

9. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert

Just found out about this today. Very happy to see this.

10. akikhia

akikhia Android Expert

ya sounds like apple everytime they release something.
    oh the new "quad core" ipad!! :O
    oh wait its not....

11. huy_lonewolf

huy_lonewolf Well-Known Member

Specs aside, I guess the most disappointing thing for me is the super ugly design of the GS3. I agree that beauty is subjective, but when too many threads in this forum and other websites saying how this phone is so ugly, it may not be a subjective view any more. Seriously, the GS3 looks like some feature phones from the pre-Android era (personally I think it looks a lot like the Samsung Corby!!!). This design is no where near the level of the HTC One X.

12. andy-roid

andy-roid Android Enthusiast

It got too many gimmicks for me like the s voice why do you need to ask for the weather when you unlock its all ready in front of your face if your going tell a phone what you want it to do then what's the point in having a touch screen

Sent from galaxy s cm9 nigthly

13. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert

I didn't think it looked all that different from the GSII imo.

14. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert

My only meh is the same 1Gb RAM they kept. I expected 1.5Gb at least. Whether that is useful or not and how much that would drive up cost is debatable though.

Other than that, it's major upgrade in every way. I don't care too much about all the voice/motion control features in software though. Will see how useful they are in real usage.

Display: WVGA --> 720p HD (pentile pixel is non-issue at this resolution, ppi)

Processor: dual exynos 4210 (or S3 snapdragon for LTE) --> quad exynos 4412 (or S4 krait in US). S4 krait is nearly as fast or just tad less powerful than exynos 4412.

Storage: up to 64Gb plus micro sd slot

Battery: 1650 --> 2100mAh (still removable one is great)

Camera: 8MP is fine and there is no real benefit in 10MP or higher in phone. best photo feature.

15. The Driver

The Driver Member

If they were to have put 2Gb in now, it would mean that they would have room to grow the OS later, as it is I think that they may well be stifling the OS's chance to grow.

16. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

You want an OS so bloated you need > 1GB for it to be usable? You can run ICS in phones with half the RAM of the SGS3, so I don't see this as an issue.

ORD84, Android26 and Deleted User like this.
  17. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert

I guess the only 'meh' for me is that this phone could have been announced or released a while back. I cant help but wonder if Sammy had chose to use the Exynos 5250 and non-pentile display how much longer that would have delayed it..

Those 2 things and I would have been sold. Now I think ill wait for something with the 5250 or OMAP5 provided they're LTE compatible which I would have to assume they will be.

18. ardyer

ardyer Android Enthusiast

Not just the os, but the apps that we know will require more ram in a year. I can deal with 1 gb, but I would have preferred more.

19. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

Pentile HD screen is a little disappointing, but not like meh for me. Any type of HD screen is major upgrade from WVGA on GSII or qHD phones from last year. 1080p resolution that some crap rumors spread won't happen any time soon. It's not ready and not really necessary either.

I think Samsung has both Exynos 5250 and HD plus screen in their lab now. Probably just not ready for prime time yet. I have feeling that they want to see Apple's move with iPhone5 and might use those weapons in mid cycle refresh in Fall. OMAP5 probably has chance to go into next Nexus in winter.

20. DarkSky

DarkSky Well-Known Member

I just switched from a pre-paid monthly plan over to a 3yr contract on Telus here in Canada, and with it I get a cheap phone. I already have a SGS2 which I got about 6 months before it was even available in North America (bought an unlocked one from Europe as soon as they went on sale there).

So when I switched to contract, I got a SGS2X for 80 bucks. Now, I'm wondering if I should take it back (it's still in box) and wait for the SGS3...

BUT...
    - same camera I have on my S2 - I was hoping for 12MP
    - no dedicated camera button - something I loved on my moto Droid and severely miss on my S2
    - is it just the US that won't get the quad core? Will we get it here in Canada?
    - speed isn't an issue on my S2 so it wouldn't be a benefit to me to have a fast S3

The main reason I want it? 4.8" screen. That's it. Aside from that, the S3 is no major advancement from the S2, and I'm sure most S2 users will remain on that more-than-capable phone.

21. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

GSIII screen is not just bigger but it has higher HD resolution vs WVGA on your GSII.

12MP camera sensor on phone is nothing more than marketing hype. It will hurt image more in low light. GSIII camera is generally faster and comes with many enhanced features. Physical camera button won't come again in any phone, IMO.

So if you don't care much about having HD screen and feels GSII is fast enough, yeah you don't have to upgrade now.

22. nexusitis

nexusitis Lurker

No sure how this even means anything, we have laptops and personal computers running on far less RAM even now and they are giving a decent experience, aren't they?

On the other hand, one would feel that if a RAM is increased, it should be more for the benefit of the user to run more apps etc rather than the OS using more of it. This thought would also suggest that going forward the versions of android would be able to run on only top-end smart phones. Now this one is a "meh".

23. WifiMaxed

WifiMaxed Android Enthusiast

I was so waiting on SGS3 to be announced hopeful for something ground breaking. Bunch of marketing hooplah. I am not sure if the SGS3 will come to Sprint, but hands down LTEVO is far more innovative. SGS3=Note mini me. Very dissatisfied.

24. Xplorah

Xplorah Newbie

great phone, cant wait till end of may to get it

25. matttye

matttye Android Expert

Now that the excitement of the event has worn off, I think I'm going to give this phone a miss.

It is a fantastic upgrade, but when I actually think about it, if I got it I would use it in exactly the same way as my S2. I've only been in my S2 contract since September and will be until September 2013, so I think I'll wait and see what's around then!

NFC is something I really want, but it's pretty pointless right now when hardly any businesses support it yet!

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews