• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone else finding auto focus to be annoying and wrong?

Atty

May 23, 2010
I love this phone, maybe because it is my first real smartphone (BB Storm wasn't a smartphone, it was a special education student), or maybe it is just that awesome.

Anyway, it seems that autofocus never focuses on what I want it to. Or at all, so it seems.

Am I doing it wrong? Is my phone broken? Halp.

is there a way to make it focus every time you press the button to take a picture?
I haven't used the optical pad to take pics (I use the touch screen) but it probably is the same as if it were a regular camera. Press the button down about halfway so it can autofocus, then fully after it has focused.

Upvote 0
I haven't used the optical pad to take pics (I use the touch screen) but it probably is the same as if it were a regular camera. Press the button down about halfway so it can autofocus, then fully after it has focused.

there is no halfway... there is either pressed or not pressed. just pressing the button takes a picture instantly without focusing...

sure the phone focuses every few seconds... but i want it to focus each time i press the button

Upvote 0
is there a way to make it focus every time you press the button to take a picture?

If you dont wanna touch the screen just hold the trackpad for a second without pressing the button and it will focus centered on the screen.

there is no halfway... there is either pressed or not pressed. just pressing the button takes a picture instantly without focusing...

sure the phone focuses every few seconds... but i want it to focus each time i press the button

This^ This^ This^ ;)

Reactions: yourfriendwayned
Upvote 0
I love this phone, maybe because it is my first real smartphone (BB Storm wasn't a smartphone, it was a special education student), or maybe it is just that awesome.

Anyway, it seems that autofocus never focuses on what I want it to. Or at all, so it seems.

Am I doing it wrong? Is my phone broken? Halp.

+1. especially when trying to focus on things that are close, my autofocus will do it's little "forward and back" thing, i'll see it actually go THROUGH the spot where it's focused correctly, but then overshoot and wind up focusing on something in the back of the room. i've heard similar complaints about the N1 camera.

autofocus should be a feature that can be disabled, imo. from the routine it goes through, i can see that the camera has the ability to focus where i want it focused. let me focus it.

i have, in some cases, been able to finally focus correctly by redoing the autofocus several times (like 7-8). sometimes it will finally "get it". sometimes it won't.

also, i'm disappointed that it has no macro mode. and while i'm complaining, let me say that, especially in low light conditions, it has a really high level of jpeg compression artifacts.

don't get me wrong, i love my phone, and i wouldn't go back to my crappy old omnia for anything less than six figures, but the camera is the one area where samsung routinely outshines htc.

hopefully the focus and compression settings are something we can change once we get root.

Upvote 0
+1. especially when trying to focus on things that are close, my autofocus will do it's little "forward and back" thing, i'll see it actually go THROUGH the spot where it's focused correctly, but then overshoot and wind up focusing on something in the back of the room. i've heard similar complaints about the N1 camera.

autofocus should be a feature that can be disabled, imo. from the routine it goes through, i can see that the camera has the ability to focus where i want it focused. let me focus it.

i have, in some cases, been able to finally focus correctly by redoing the autofocus several times (like 7-8). sometimes it will finally "get it". sometimes it won't.

also, i'm disappointed that it has no macro mode. and while i'm complaining, let me say that, especially in low light conditions, it has a really high level of jpeg compression artifacts.

don't get me wrong, i love my phone, and i wouldn't go back to my crappy old omnia for anything less than six figures, but the camera is the one area where samsung routinely outshines htc.

hopefully the focus and compression settings are something we can change once we get root.
I could have sworn I saw an option to disable AF AND enable macro. Are you even looking at the right settings? In the same breath, you also have to realize that this is, well, a phone first and foremost. If you want something that will take amazing pictures with pinpoint accuracy/focus and take it in dim lighting, go buy a DSLR

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones