1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Anyone else getting fed up?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jamo, Sep 13, 2010.

1. hova15

hova15 Newbie
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Democracy
    NY
    First off, thanks for the reply,
    Why should I have to download a third party app to get the GOOGLE email to work on the GOOGLE phone. Come on you're better than this.

Advertisement

2. jamo

jamo Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    Educator
    SC
    Of course the CEO will say they're going to hav a good experience, but I bet that he would say that they do now, which they don't. And companies don't NEED to make their own UI's now, but they do. It's going to get a lot worse I think. TouchWiz, BLUR, Sense, Bing Search as default...

3. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    U right, they dont need to make their own UI's. I was shocked at HTC for not putting Sense UI on the T Mobile G2. I wish Moto woulda did that for the Droid 2... (The G1 has vanilla Android, I guess HTC didnt wanna switch up with the G2.)

4. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Multi-platinum Rapper
    Illinois
    Manufacturers should be allowed to make their own custom overlays, but Google should make it a requirement that they include an option to allow these overlays to be completely disabled (return to absolute stock Android).

Having this requirement would actually motivate these manufacturers to produce an overlay that is superior to stock Android, or else all their users would just disable it.

5. jamo

jamo Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    Educator
    SC
    I agree, just make an option to turn it off. I shouldn't have to root my phone or use ATK to kill 50 processes that are running constantly for apps and widgets that I have no intention of using. These skins are how I know that VZW is more interested in profits than actual user-experience. There is no way that an actual dev at VZW used the Droid X and said, "Yep, we've sure improved this phone's user experience."

6. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    You don't. You have to download a third party app to get the GOOGLE email to look exactly the way you want, not the way other people like it.

I like the simple layout - I rarely need to know what time an email was sent, and I appreciate the clean layout. I think once I needed to know a time and I just punched the "reply" button to the email and it's right there in the header. Is that ideal? No, absolutely not. I make no excuses. But I recognize that, when something doesn't suit me on my Android phone, I have, generally, lots of options to make it suit me.

You get a notification in the notification bar, right where you should.

You downloaded an update. Kindle is a built-in app. It sucks that you can't remove it, but you can't. However, it wasn't a market app that you installed and now can't remove.

7. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    And with luck this is exactly what will happen when Gingerbread finally hits the market. Manufacturers like Motorola and HTC will stop loading their custom UI's and simply provide us overlays which can be turned on and off at will.

Will it happen? Only time will tell at this point but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Google reigns them in...

8. jamo

jamo Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    Educator
    SC
    I hope this happens too, but why would it? All HTC and Motorola phones with skins on them have been wildly successful, and money talks. If I sold a product that people bought, why would I change it from the way it is? They want money, plain and simple, and getting deals through companies to offer widgets like VZ Navigator, Blockbuster, Bing, and City ID is profitable.

For example, go to Best Buy and buy a Dell or HP right now. Android=Windows

9. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 17, 2010
    If Angry Birds is lagging, then you have serious problems with your phone. It runs far smoother on my Droid than my iPod.

Also you can download proxysetting:

http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Network/ProxySetting-79209.shtml

Although, it only allows for web browsing currently.

10. prophet of doom

None

Aug 12, 2010
    yeah i was fed up .... with the iphone. It was the same thing from day one. Just apple limiting everything. If you want the iphone i sugest you do one thing. Go look at the bars before you pick it up then when its in your hand watch them drop.

But no one is stopping you. If you think that the i phone is the best phone for you go get it.

11. jamo

jamo Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    Educator
    SC
    That might be the case, but the problem would be the phone, which is my point. I have the same game on 2 different platforms, it runs laggy on my X. We could probably have people vote on this and get mixed results, which is again my point. There is no consistent quality with Android right now.

12. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 17, 2010
    Or, it could simply be stuff you've installed hogging up resources without you realizing it. I've had apps that ground the iPod to a crawl too. Not much different than people installing stuff on windows, which in turn installs a startup process, and before you know it their $2000 computer takes 5 minutes to boot and the HD is constantly grinding.

At the very least with the Droid if something locks the phone up I can pull the battery. I've had to deal with that nightmare on the iPod, then the reset key combo doesn't work - complete misery.

13. Martimus

None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Remember... these phones aren't designed for us in the vocal minority. They're designed for those in the silent majority. In other words the people who don't consistently do more than just use their smartphones as smartphones.

In order to effect change we need to help educate these people that bloatware isn't needed and isn't wanted. If we can motivate those people to stand with us when we ask companies like Verizon to stop putting bloatware on phones I suspect we'll then have a much better chance of making it happen.

Same goes with user interfaces. Motorola hears that we tend to not appreciate Blur. Do they hear the same from the silent majority? Motorola does listen to us... look at the changes to Blur between the Devour and the DX. Blur is now a much less intrusive animal than it was. That said it's still got a long way yet to go to become a user selectable user interface.

While it's true that companies like Motorola are motivated by money... they are also motivated by consumer pressure. We've simply got to recruit others to help us fight this fight. Participating on forums like Android Forums is a good start. IMHO I think it's pretty evident that representatives of Motorola do read these forums...

14. jamo

jamo Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    Educator
    SC
    I have to disagree because I don't see any evidence for that. People loved the Droid and its lack of a skin, but they put a skin on the Droid 2. We love open source and the ability to install ROMS, so we got the bootloader locked down more than it was on the Droid. We like quick updating, it's still taking forever. It still remains true that the fastest way to an update with Motorola is to buy the newest phone they just came out with. I'm not particularly against Motorola, I just don't see a clear vision of what they want out of Android. Give us a phone with great specs and vanilla Android and we're generally happy. Yet they've never done that.

15. Martimus

None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    I understand what you are saying yet I feel compelled to disagree with you.

The version of Blur that Motorola now pushes onto it's phones is much less intrusive then it's predecessor. The original Droid was a "Google Experience" phone which basically means that it's a vanilla Android smartphone. The Motorola Devour was specifically geared towards social networking which is why it had the first generation of Blur loaded on it. Maybe I'm wrong but I think Motorola's newest generation of phones are also geared towards social networking devices (a shining example of yet another company with the silly idea that MySpace/Facebook/Twitter rules the roost).

Now my guess is that Motorola did a market survey early on and found that lots of potential smartphone users used these social network applications. As such that was chosen to be their primary sales demographic. Blur was most likely geared towards social networking for this very reason.

To the best of my knowledge the Droid X and Droid 2 are not "Google Experience devices".

16. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Saint Inigoes, MD
    :thinking: What you wrote doesn't describe a proxy server. It describes a secure wifi network...which Android can access. :thinking:

17. jamo

jamo Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    Educator
    SC
    Sorry if I did a bad job describing it, but I know we have a proxy server, and I know that I can't get Android to access it and I can on iOS. I've gone through it again and again with my IT people to no avail unfortunately.

18. rdillz

rdillz Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Chicago

Funny I still see people saying we dont have games. I just lmao! There are MANY killer game available for Android. For example these games take a dump on angry birds!

Modern Combat: Sandstorm on Android
    YouTube - Modern Combat: Sandstorm on Android

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. on Android
    YouTube - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. on Android

N.O.V.A. Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance on Android
    YouTube - N.O.V.A. Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance on Android

Gangstar: West Coast Hustle on Android
    YouTube - Gangstar: West Coast Hustle on Android

Here's a list of more great games.

Skies of Glory
    Heavy Gunner
    Asphalt HD
    Need For Speed Shift
    Tower Raiders Gold
    Deadly Chambers
    ExZeus
    Dead End
    Armageddon Squadron
    Speed X 3D
    Backbreaker
    Homerun Battle 3D

Can we kill the myth that there's no games on Android!
    ANDROID HAS HQ GAMES!

19. jamo

jamo Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    Educator
    SC
    Thank you for proving my point about Android Market. How in the world is anyone supposed to find these games??? Is every Android user supposed to buy the phone, download LauncherPro and other apps to make it useable, then join a forum where they can hear about good games so they can download them? Look at the top games in the Market, none of those you listed are there because they're impossible to find amidst all the junk, which is the problem. This is Google's problem, they need to re-design the Market to reward dev's who come up with quality apps.

20. rdillz

rdillz Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Chicago
    The Gameloft games aren't on the market. You have to get them from the Gameloft site. And yes you can benefit from researching to solve your problems. I don't see the problem with that. Are solutions supposed to magically appear for you? NO! Thats why we have these great communities like Android Forums. Sometimes all you have to do is ask(not rant), and your problems are solved. Good luck, but it sounds like you just want an iphone.

You do make valid points about the market but you can't expect it to be as good as apples app store yet. But it'll continue to get better over time.

21. Billswood

Billswood Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    Raleigh NC
    Ok, I stopped reading at "No games." This isn't a ps3, there are plenty of games. I have a NES and a Sega Genesis on my x, with MANY options for their games to load on for free, after you either pay for the full app or just get the lite one. They have a GBA, GBC, SNES, PSX and many more! As soon as they get a Dreamcast one I will be buying that too!

22. jamo

jamo Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    Educator
    SC
    I've tried them out and I appreciate that people like them, but it's a reflection to me of the low-quality apps on Android that the top games are all emulators that load illegal ROMs. You made a good point, it's just that it's my point...

23. jamo

jamo Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    Educator
    SC
    I'm ok with research, as you can tell from the fact that I use this and other forums, but we shouldn't HAVE to in order to find quality apps. I wouldn't, for instance, recommend that anyone buy a Droid X without dl'ing LauncherPro. So, you buy the phone, then I have to explain to them why they need it. It's not intuitive or effective, it's annoying.

And then Market excuse is wearing then; we were making the same excuses a year ago and it's still the same Market with the same low-quality apps.

24. rdillz

rdillz Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Chicago

Come on, are you kidding? There's many great HQ apps in the market. I don't use Launcher Pro. ADW and the great themes it has is my choice. You also have about 4 other great choices for home replacements. See its about choices! A luxury you wont have with the iphone. I have about 140 apps on my DX and all are HQ apps!

25. jamo

jamo Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    Educator
    SC
    The fact that there are so many home replacement apps is a testament to how bad the carriers have screwed up Android. I use LauncherPro and love it, but I can't imagine having to use the stock launcher that came with the X, it's detestable. You can't really be saying that the Android Market has a huge amount of quality apps, can you? I just find that hard to believe, we'll have to agree to disagree there, which is fine.