1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Anyone else have these issues?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BringTheRain403, Aug 12, 2012.

1. BringTheRain403

BringTheRain403 Android Enthusiast

I've been through two GNex's woth the same issues...

1. it's picky about the chargers. Some chargers will charge it while others won't and the ones that won't charge it definitely work because they will charge other phones. It's very frustrating and I can't find a car charger that works!

2. weak 4G/3G reception. Other phones on VZW's network have at least double the signal strength when the phones are sitting directly next to each other. (not as annoying as the finicky charger thing but annoying none the less)

Just wondering if these are common occurrences or if I should be making a bugger fuss with VZW.

I'm currently running CM9 but this was happening on stock ROMS and other custom roms as well.

Thanks for your input.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DBNissan

DBNissan Member

I'm running the VZW generic car charger on my GNex and it also charges the quickest.

My reception is the opposite of yours. We have an HTC Thunderbolt and Razr Maxx and the GNex has better reception.

3. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

If a charger isn't 1 amp it will charge very slowly. Most car chargers are only .5 amps. Check yours to see.

As for signal strength, yes, the Verizon Nexus has less than stellar reception, but don't compare bars as each manufacturer seems to determine what constitutes 3 bars vs 4 bars. Go to settings > about phone > status and look at the signal strength in dbm. Its a negative range so -60 dbm is great, -120 dbm is terrible. Also, note that the Galaxy Nexus reports its 4G signal strength when in 4G mode, whereas most (if not all) other phones report 3G signal strength even when on a 4G signal.

Be sure you are comparing oranges to oranges (3G to 3G, 4G to 4G and dbm to dbm).

4. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

Had issues with chargers originally, but not anymore.

And the radios don't compare well to others in dBm.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews