1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support Anyone else having problems with the sd card?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by offthecha1n, Dec 5, 2009.

1. y2korean

y2korean Member

Dec 7, 2009
    accountant
    Atlanta
    thanks for the clarification!

Advertisement

2. offthecha1n

offthecha1n Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I dont know if they were wav files but on my 1st behold 2 my aol "touve got mail" text alert would stop playing and I had to reinstall it to get it to play before it messed up again.

but this is day 3 of the new phone and so far so good.

edit...never mind it just did it

3. ac32cl

ac32cl Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I was just searching the forums for this when I came across this thread. I have a Droid and I am starting to have these same issues. I have noticed that the ringtones I have selected from the SD card for certain contacts have reset themselves to be the same ringtones for all my other contacts which is a stock ringtone on the phone. This has happened twice now at random. My notifications for email/sms etc. havent had a problem yet and they are also from the SD card. It just seems to be ringtones for some reason. Another issue I am having with both ringtones and notifications is they will actually change speed and play real fast somehow. Kind of like if you have a record and speed it up so it sounds like the chipmunks. Again this is completely at random. I did have an SD card issue when i first got the phone where it deleted all my pictures and video I had taken with the phone and then wouldnt work unless I reformatted it. Since the reformat its been fine until this new problem. I hope someone can figure out the cause.

4. k1ll1nt1m3

k1ll1nt1m3 Member

Dec 27, 2009
    I am having slightly different SD card problems. I have a 8g Kingston that has worked fine for almost three weeks. I formated it FAT32 in Vista with Quick Format. I have about 4g of music, photos and data on it. I have never seen a warning about mounting it. (I have even removed it without unmounting it, oops)

For some reason the music player wont scan the whole SD card right. Every time I start the music player it says "Media Scanning" and just sits there. Ive let it sit for 30 minutes. Then the music player only shows 1/3 of the music on the SD card. Ive formated and started over 3 times. Still no luck getting music player to see all of the music. If I go through "files" I can play it all but then its song by song. ALL of the music has been encoded to 192 bit directly from CDs with ABCDE in OpenSuse.

Anyway, Im using an 8g Kingston with no mounting problems. Hope that helps some.

Update: Formated the 8g Kingston in FAT32 LBA from OpenSuse (said it had bad sector count). Now music player and everything seems fine. Sees all 7G of music.

5. fallenturtle

fallenturtle Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    graphic designer
    San Francisco, CA
    Well I woke up this morning to find my card saying it needed to be formatted. I tried popping it in a card reader I have with hopes of saving the information, but it says the same. The fact that this seems to be common is discouraging.

6. defiantbeast

defiantbeast Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Physics and Biology teacher
    Philadelphia
    Fallenturtle can you humor me and let me know what brand of sd card you have?

7. fallenturtle

Nov 24, 2009
    graphic designer
    San Francisco, CA
    It's a SanDisk and is the one that shipped with the phone.

8. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    Luckily I have had no problems with my SD card. I went from the 2GB sandisk (included with the phone) to an 8 GB sandisk using Win XP to reformat and it has worked without a hitch.

9. fallenturtle

Nov 24, 2009
    graphic designer
    San Francisco, CA
    How long has it been? I've had the phone a little less than a month and this is the first time the card has lost all its data.

10. defiantbeast

Nov 24, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Can everyone with problems chime in with the brand and capacity of their sd cards. While im certain that this is a bug left from 1.5 android ive read that the brand of the card can have an effect. While im not thrilled about buying a kingston 16gb card i will if it will mean an end to this until the 2.0 release.

11. shawn1224

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    Received the phone on the 19th used the 2GB - no problems.

Switched to the 8gb last Friday and I haven't had an issue with it.

12. auburn27

auburn27 New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Behold 2 on DECEMBER 21st.
    2GB SanDisk. same GD SD card problem...

anybody know when the Android 2.0 update is coming to T-mobile android phones?

13. fallenturtle

Nov 24, 2009
    graphic designer
    San Francisco, CA
    Maybe never? There's also a chance they might just go straight to 2.1.

14. fallenturtle

Nov 24, 2009
    graphic designer
    San Francisco, CA
    Update: Yesterday I decided that there was no hope of recovering my data so I went ahead and formatted the card. Today it was back to saying it needed to be formatted. I don't know if its a factor or not, but between when I reformatted and when it unformatted itself I had not mounted the card via the phone or a card reader, so that seems to imply that the issue is not related to mounting the card on a PC or Mac.

15. dan0zone

dan0zone Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Wow you guys still playing with the sandisk brand and android ,,, . If you guys use any other brand but the one that came with the phone 2,4 or 8g ,it don't matter,, your sdcard issue will end . Unless you have already done so and it didn't work for you please don't comment on this fix as I am trying to get it out there for everyone , so don't dis_courage people from trying this , as for me I have been my 8g transend from my G1 ,,, 5 weeks no issues ..

16. defiantbeast

Nov 24, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Thats why i was asking people to chime in with brand and size. Iv actuall ordered a 16gb kingston which is suppose to be top of the line, from my research sandisk is a crappy brand but the popular and cheap solution. For those not willing to kick out for a different brand card i understand trust me, im just sick of this and want to enjoy my phone worst comes to worst i have an extra card. From what ive read 2.0 should fix this, its left over 1.5 crap possibly agitated by samsungs customization of stock android ui.

17. fallenturtle

Nov 24, 2009
    graphic designer
    San Francisco, CA
    The fact that I would be required to purchase an additional sd card because the one shipping with the phone is a piece of crap is very frustrating. When you pay for something, you expect it to work.

18. dan0zone

dan0zone Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    That's all MOST of the issues are , left over bugs of 1.5

Buddy sdcards are very cheap $15 to $30 ,, think of it as buying a holster for your phone ,,,, just an add-on . Not all smartphones ship with sdcards preinstalled , and sadly Samsung went sandisk, which is really not fully compatable with mobile phones . Some of the cards you going to see mentioned here were made for smartphones , and would be your best choice .... OR you can leave it as is and wait for 2.0...... Your choice...

19. fallenturtle

Nov 24, 2009
    graphic designer
    San Francisco, CA
    Clearly you underestimate my cheapness. ;)

That reminds me, I still need to buy a case and a screen protector for this thing.

I do have another sd card from an older phone at home I'm going to try it with, but unfortunately I think it may too also be a SanDisk.

20. y2korean

y2korean Member

Dec 7, 2009
    accountant
    Atlanta
    I'm gonna try out a non-SanDisk microSD card. found 4gb kingston on amazon no-hassle pkg

21. fallenturtle

Nov 24, 2009
    graphic designer
    San Francisco, CA
    So far I've had no problems with my older sandisk 256 meg card, so it seems to be specifically the 2 gig that came with the phone, which, according to T-Mobile, is not covered by warranty. I wonder if it's under warranty with sandisk.

22. y2korean

y2korean Member

Dec 7, 2009
    accountant
    Atlanta
    so far, so good (~72 hours)

23. sandman5519

sandman5519 New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    seems to me Samsung or Tmobile should swap the damn card and just realize this from day one

24. y2korean

y2korean Member

Dec 7, 2009
    accountant
    Atlanta
    however many days now and no problems. anxiety down. stress gone. go get a kingston.

25. shawn1224

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    I bought an 8 gig Kingston a few days ago (so far so good) after my 8 gig sandisk reformatted for the umptenth time. I must say it's a vast improvement. It got to the point were i couldn't even put music on my sd card because it would give me some unsupported error glitch and reformat within a day.

Kingston > Sandisk