• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone else having problems with the sd card?

offthecha1n

Nov 24, 2009
My 1st behold 2 keep showing "preparing sdcard" and would reset all my ringtones/message alerts back to stock...twice a day. i swapped out phones and it did it again. swapped out memory cards and it was good for a week but it just did it today? anyone else having this problem

I've read about others having mounting/unmounting issues, but I've been lucky enough to not experience any of these. Today, however, I quickly glanced at my phone and for a second or two saw a notification that said "Preparing SD Card." It didn't do anything to my phone--no ringtones/notifications were changed--so I don't know what it means.

Murf

Upvote 0
This is the exact problem that ive been having with my sd card and phone. ive already swapped phones for a new one and even got a new sd card and the problem persist. Mine went as far as to say that the sd card was unreadable, and suggested that i format it. Im curious what size card do you have in your phone. i have a 16gb sd card with about 6gb of info on it

Upvote 0
I had a 2gb sd card at first, then swapped phones. Then they gave me a 4gb sdcard and it took a week to start doing it again. i have also noticed it as powered down and back on again a few times.
It is a phone glitch as its brand new some probaly have a bug in them, unless they just made a bad batch of sd cards but then way more people would have that problem with different phones.
Next time it does it im calling tmobile, as ive already swapped phones and sdcards other than switchimg to a different phone(which i dont) I dont what to do

Upvote 0
I got rid of mine, it was reseting the memory card at random, and from what I understand its a usb bug in the OS, dont quote me on that, its 3rd party info. i've never seen it on other phones, but its supposed to be fixored in 1.6. I talked to Samsung 3rd level, they didnt have a clue.

My behold 2 reset much less frequently with a card other than sandisk in it.

I tried a class 6 transcend 4gb and I never noticed a reset.

Upvote 0
Hello. Brand new to Android forums. I came looking for advice on this exact issue. So far my SD card has been de-/re-mounting once or twice a day. Inexplicably, my ringtone does not reset, just my message tone. At first I thought it was due to it being a short mp3 I made, so I remade it and saved as a wav this time. Didn't help. It is a sanDisk, and someone said they didn't have a problem when they switched brands of SD cards. Has anyone else tried switching brands and met success? Has everyone else that's been having problems been with sandisk?

Upvote 0
Mines is a sandisk 16GB card. I did read that kingston cards are not giving the same problem but i dont want to run out an buy a new card just yet. Im not sure if it would solve the problem. I did read in another thread that formating the card on your computer via fatt32 has helped, i did do a quick format on my cpu but am currently doing the slower fatt 32 formatt to see if it helps. I also talked to some tmobile reps last week that told me that this did happen on the g1 prior to the 1.6 donut update, so hopefully a 2.0 update to eclair will take care of this. early adopters always get stuck with these bugs

UPDATE: Just fatt 32 formatted my card, ill keep everyone posted on how it works out

Upvote 0
I had that problem but I found out that I didn't have the SD card in all the way. That metal thing where you slide the sd card into has to "snap" back down. If you don't hear or feel that snap then the copper on the back of the card isn't connecting with the phone so it don't read it. Ever since I made damn sure it snapped in right I've had zero problems. That was in my case anyway.

Upvote 0
I have exchanged this phone 4 TIMES !! 3 of my phones have had the sd card issue. There is a setting where you can shut off the alert. So at least you dont have to hear it

My big issue is 3 of them have shut off and when trying to power on it just sits frozen at the ANDROID screen... anyone else seen this? My current phone did it last night. (I had it less than 24 hours) And tech support did a hard reset. (Lost all my apps and everything but phone came on)

I love this phone but may be time to get a Cliq

Upvote 0
Still no luck i see. Just tonight I've tried reseating the memory card and switched the USB setting off of USB mass storage. i'll let you know if i see any progress.

also, did anyone experience this:
i put three wav files on my sd card to use as sound msg tones. one by one they somehow became corrupted. i couldnt get them to play on the phone, and when i tried to copy them to the computer and then play those files, they wouldn't play. i had to replace them to get them to work again. anyone?

Upvote 0
In my experience, when it was broken, it was random whether it would work or not. If you are using Vista or Win 7, try using a friends PC that has XP or a mac and see if that helps.

can you clarify what you mean by 'using' xp/mac/vista/7? do you mean for file management? and when you say 'when it WAS broken'. does that mean yours works now? thx

Upvote 0
Hmm I never formatted my sd card. Just used it how it came in the box.

I was trying to transfer music to the sounds folder. When I did it on my win7 box, it would randomly unmount in the middle of the file transfer. Sometimes a file would get transferred before it unmounted, sometimes not.

I tested on a mac and win XP machine and was able to copy a lot of music over with no problems on those.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones