• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else having problems with the speaker phone??

dlheidemann

Lurker
Feb 19, 2010
I'm wondering if anyone else has had any problems with the external speaker on their Eris. I'm on my fourth phone because I've had so many problems :mad:

Basically what's happening is, when the phone is at the loudest, and second to loudest (and sometimes third) setting, the sound is super garbled and sounds like trash. I have it up at full volume only when I'm in the car and such, otherwise it's at about half, maybe barely above. So it's not like I've "Blown out" the speaker.

Every Eris I've had seems to develop this problem some time after I've received it. Out of the box they've all sounded great. What the heck is going on here?!

I feel like verizon wouldnt be much help...

Can anyone shed light on this???? PLEASE

Reports of speaker problems in the Eris have been ongoing since last year; it appears to be an issue of quality control at the factories.

Some have it and some don't (I have not seen the problem and I've had my Eris since January).

If you're on your 4th device and are still seeing it crop up after a time, you've got a decision to make as to what to do next.

If it were happening to me in the ways you describe, I would talk to the techs about it and find out if it's possible to acquire an Eris (if you want to sick with the Eris, that is) from a different source than the one they are using; perhaps they've been taking from a bad batch.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the insight. It sounds to me like this is a pretty hefty design flaw. And right now it's got me frustrated enough that I want a new piece of hardware. Because, how long after I get another Eris will this problem start up again? Not to mention the added hassle of re-downloading apps, getting all my settings just right etc.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Eris. But this has left such a bad taste in my mouth. What's even more unfortunate is that I'm more than a year away from my contract renewal, so if I wanted a new phone Verizon is probably going to slam me for it pretty badly :-(

Oh and locoandroid, let me know how that works out for you. Did the first one have a speaker problem? Mine was going great until just last night. Seems to spark up out of nowhere...

Upvote 0
I'm not so sure it's a true design flaw, although that is a possibility.

I'm nearly convinced that the Eris is a great design that is was being manufactured and assembled with poor quality control. That can cause a fine design to suffer at the hands (and machines) of careless parts manufacturers and assemblers.

The result of that is a flow of junk off-and-on in the middle of the flow of perfectly good devices, so, in the end and at the point of retail sale, we see some such as yourself with a deal-breaker issue and some such as myself with none of it.

Upvote 0
Yes exactly. The problems seem to be so few and far between that I'm worried I dont have a solid "case" against verizon. I'm really not one to put up a stink about it either, but I'm worried I'm going to have to!

To me, it just seems too coincidental that four phones of the same model have the same problem.

Oh, and the most recent phone got shipped direct from their warehouse in Texas. Not sure if this helps or hurts your "pulling from a bad batch" theory. But I thought it might be worth mentioning.

I'm headed to Verizon in a few minutes. I'll keep you folks posted with how I make out.

Thanks for the advice, all.

Upvote 0
Well that went just as I expected it to. They said that because its not a "known issue" there's nothing they can do for me aside from replacing the phone for the same model. So, another Eris is coming my way on Tuesday.

It's the lesser of evils I guess. Oh well, maybe this will be the one. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones