1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Anyone else kind of disappointed?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sequre, Oct 19, 2011.

1. sequre

sequre Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    I was really looking forward to a stock android device on VZW. I just can't get over the new look. I am a huge fan of stock gingerbread, especially on the nexus S, but I'm not quite sure i'm on board with the new phone. The phone is beautiful, maybe I'll just get the phone and put 2.3.7 on it ;)

Anyone else?

Advertisement

2. BlueSnake01

BlueSnake01 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 20, 2009
    Not me, ive been waiting for an update like this. Hardware acceleration is what I always wanted and we finally get it! It's ALMOST everything I wanted in a phone. Perfect upgrade for my old original Inc.

3. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Student/Intern
    Los Angeles, CA
    I haven't read any official statements but people in the forum have mentioned that the Galaxy Nexus won't have an SD card slot. Since they're making a 32GB version, I still plan to buy the phone but not having expandable storage is a bit disappointing.

4. sequre

sequre Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    I think its the mismatching colors on the launcher and the cyan/blue theme that I don't care for. This would probably be one of the only times I would opt for launcher pro or something different.

5. Skeet

Skeet Member
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Not at all disappointed, at some point people are going to realize that they aren't making the phone for you. They are making the phone to cater to as many people as possible...

ICS looks amazing to me, and in the words of Bart Scott.

CANT WAIT!

treb1797 and BCM like this.
  6. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Central TX
  7. moondrius

moondrius Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Baltimore MD
  8. Droidood

Droidood Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 3, 2009
  9. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    I'm on the Fence...

First and foremost...It's been beat to death, but no SD card slot is just plain stupid IMO, If you dont care about it not being on board...God Bless You..lol

As for the Hardware...Ehhh, I'm not blown away at all! Looks like a typical Samsung phone to me, which is not a really terrible thing, but a metal feel would have been really awesome. The Plastic is getting old. To me the Droid Razr looks like how I would Imagine a Super Phone to be built.

The Camera is a let down...Almost all the hands on I've seen do not Impress me. And come on Samsung and Google...Why does the S2 have a better camera? This is supposed to be a GOOGLE NEXUS FLAGSHIP PHONE...It should have the best camera available on the market.

ICS to me looks a bit Busy, a bit Clogged, a bit Gimmicky...It just doesnt look very stock Android to me. Instead, as Rob Jackson Pointed out in his hands on, a bit more Web OS'ish... I was so amped up to be getting a Stock Android Phone on VZW with LTE...Looks more like a Beefed up Web OS then a stock build to me.

And as for the Gimmicks within the Build...Like the Face Lock Screen, Seriously now? How often will that not work? And the zero shutter lag within the Camera...Not needed..Just take clear shots within a second,,,Not 15 with 10 being blurry within 5 seconds.

I dont know, I'm just not completely sold, I'm not completely blown away! I know some are saying WOWWWWWWWWWW...ICS is Amazing, It looks awesome! That's cool, every one is entitled to they're own opinion.

As for me, I will see once it hits VZW just how good in the hand it feels, and just how slick ICS is in the real world.

10. Android26

Android26 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 25, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I wouldn't say I am dissapointed (like in the sense that I had any higher expectations before), but I do kinda understand what you're saying. The whole Android 4.0 things is awesome, but it almost seems like too much (maybe that's because its so advanced from all other android phones right now).

Kinda like you said, all those new features are amazing and ground breaking but I would rather wait for the style of android that I'm accustomed to, to receive them. To be more specific, I'm a current Galaxy S1 user and I'd kinda rather own a GS2 than GNexus.

But I still wouldn't say dissapointed! Awesome phone.

11. SiXiam

SiXiam Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Even if Verizon has the 32gb version for $300, it just doesn't seem worth paying that match for a two year contract. Technology is moving way too fast!

We need 18 month contracts! ;)

As for 4.0, I only really care about hardware acceleration.

12. Sharkonwheels

Sharkonwheels Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    Not impressed. SGX540 GPU? That's well over 1-2 year-old technology - iPhone 4S is gonna beat the living snot out of this thing, unfortunately.

OMAP 4460+SGX540 is maybe mid-stream nowadays. I'd much rather have had a DC Exynos 1.2gHz + SGX543. As-is, I don't see the performance being much of a step-up from a Galaxy S class phone, especially pushing 240% more pixels than 800x480 displays. That was D-U-M-B. iCrap will eat it's lunch performance-wise.

Camera, I could care less about - I have a dSLR with well over a dozen lenses, a 12MP pocketable, and only use cameras on phones when I absolutely have no choice. Oh, and Megapixels? They mean N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Those whining about 8MP vs 5MP - learn your sh!t - you're WAY better off with a high-quality 5MP sensor, than a mid-quality 8MP sensor. Hands down, it ain't even close - as the old adage goes, quality over quantity, and in camera sensors, DOUBLE the importance!

No MicroSD slot? Thought they would learn from the bitching about the Nexus S.

Definitely feeling the HD 1280x720 sAMOLED screen, although I strongly think the weak GPU+CPU combination will be a detriment.

Loving the look/appearance. I'm gonna need to see more specs before I bite, but if this is the ONLY 1280x720 ICS phone, then I would have no choice, and would bite. Assuming it comes in an ATT/850+1900+2100 UMTS flavor.

13. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I absolutely love the phone and can't wait for it to come to t mobile. Glad they added back the notification light, the camera is awesome, and the screen is perfect! I also love the look of ICS and all the new functionality. Also with all of my cloud services with Picasa, Google Music, and Dropbox, etc I could get by with probably 4GB if I needed to.

The only downside I see is I hope the battery will last a whole day or they offer extended batteries when it launches.

14. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
    Would like some proof of the hardware acceleration please..

15. Sharkonwheels

Sharkonwheels Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    I'm actually going to back off a little on my stance, and wait to see the final product. Reason being, OMAP4460 is rated at 1.5gHz, and we don't know what the SGX540 cores are running at. I'm hoping it's released at 1.4-1.5gHz, with fast GPU cores, to close the gap between it and the SGX543MP2. Let's see what Samsung has up their sleeves... I know when I got my Captivate, I was pleasantly surprised at the GFX speed, and the benchmarks bore that out.

EDIT: Ugh... OMAP4460 DataSheet makes it sound like it's a SINGLE SGX540 core.

Tags: