1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Anyone else pissed off the iPhone is coming to VZW???

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by rsarno, Jan 9, 2011.

1. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish!
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    Westchester, NY
    I have seen the VZW network getting shittier and shittier as Android phones picked up speed.

Now they drop this innevitable bomb on us ... i cannot imagine what it will cause!!

Even if a small percentage of AT&T ppl come here, and then a small percentage of VZW users upgrade to a smartphone because the god-almighty-iphone is in the house ... thats a huge percentage that will be added to the network strain, almost overnight!

CRAP!!

Verizon Finally Lands the iPhone - WSJ.com

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Only time will tell how it affects the network but I know verizon wireless has been upgrading it's towers where I live for some time now by adding new fiber optic lines.

3. jj3699

jj3699 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 22, 2009
    I refuse to believe the iPhone is coming to Verizon, I may be in denial but I'm going the Self-fulfilling prophecy route. If I truly believe and want the iPhone to not come to Verizon it will not come to VZW :D

Stupid I know but we can always hope lol... we should have definite answer this Tuesday tho; Confirmed: Verizon Announcing iPhone On Tuesday | TechnoBuffalo (by the way the title is stupid)

EgoDogg likes this.
  4. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Generation Dispatcher
    Noblesville, IN
    i dont really give a shit, VZW has dont alot of improving of the towers as mentioned. I dont rely that much on fast 3G, its generally slow here anyway and i have wifi most times. Time will tell though. Lets hope the advancements VZW has made are good enough

5. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    Grad Student (Applied/Computational Math)
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm hoping tuesdays announcement is about the iPad 2.

jj3699 likes this.
  6. craigrn16

craigrn16 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    New Jersey
    well for one I'll believe it when I see it. This Verizon iPhone rumor has been going on for years. And two who cares. It's just another addition to Verizons line up of Phones. It'll make them richer not me. I don't think it will strain there network because I believe big Red prepared for this.

euph_22 likes this.
  7. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member
    None

May 20, 2010
    Student / Systems Analysis Assistant
    Flagstaff, AZ
    1.4 million AT&T users have said they would witch to Verizon if Verizon got the iPhone (but I'm assuming most of them aren't aware they would need to buy a new phone, since they don't know what a SIM card is), so that could cut down on the numbers a bit.

Think if you *just* bought an iPhone 4 on AT&T, and you want to switch to Verizon when they get an iPhone, but were unaware that you would need to buy a new device. I think you'd hold off for a bit.

It also seems that about half of current Verizon customers will want to switch, but that doesn't specify if they're already smartphone users.

The only real downside about this is that apple's gonna gain a minute resurgence in market share when this happens (although 1.4 million is not really a lot).

8. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    Before I discovered how great Android was all I wanted was for VZW to release an iPhone. Now that I'm an Android die hard I don't want VZW to have an iPhone. VZW is Android (IMO) not crapple. Plus, as the OP said, I think it's going to hurt the network and that sucks

9. tylerdurdin

tylerdurdin Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    New York
    Oh its going to verizon and a butt load of att customers with it, this will help get the strain off our network, good luck fellas, all the iphone users in the U.S. can be yours take my wife with you.

10. WBMc36

WBMc36 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Full time student
    Pittsburgh/Erie
    all it will do is cause the developers for android phones to continue developing the best and fastest devices out, so in the end we win. just look at the 4g lineup for verizon. Every single one of those phones has better specs than the iphone 4. the development community for android is already huge and will continue to grow. Hell even the lineup of 3g android phones verizon offers are better than the iphone. as for the network there will be most of us switching to 4g in a few months anyways. I think people are blowing out of proportion how many people will switch to verizon.
    As stated before, buying the device and getting a new contract is not easy. I sure would never pay a contract cancellation fee from at&t if i had just gotten the iphone 4, to switch to verizon to get the same phone, that i will have to buy again. It is outrageous if you think about it and most people just want to say they have an iphone, its a status symbol, unlike those of us that use our phones to their full potential.

11. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    I think a lot of the verizon customers that said they would get an iphone don't realize they need a data plan for it.

12. poland626

poland626 Well-Known Member
    None

May 23, 2010
    Student
    New Jersey
    I'm just wondering if the iphone is going to be 4g or not.

13. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Generation Dispatcher
    Noblesville, IN
    i highly doubt its LTE....just a 3G model for the first one i would guess

14. BombTheSystem

BombTheSystem Newbie
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    I think most of the people who don't have an idea that in order to own a smart phone it requires a data plan are getting the message. That won't stop people from getting a smart phone even my family converted to the "must" have data plan with Verizon. Only two of us have the unlimited data plan from 5 family phones and our bill every month ranges to about 300 bucks. So with that said for someone who doesn't have share a family plan the 30 bucks for unlimmited data isn't' so bad. So with that said I don't think money will be the issue the problem with the consumers now days are that they just follow what ever people tell them to. I mean a lot of Android phones can do the same things or even more then the Iphone can (which ever generation) so I don't get what the big deal about this is. If the Iphone were to come to Verizon personally it wouldn't make a difference to me because I'm not an apple fan boy. People think just because a product is stamped with the apple logo it must be top of the line. I'm tired of these ignorant people who just follow the trend and fall into the hype causing other good not so well known company's to get over looked. I've seen so many people with Iphones and they have no clue how to work the damn device but just because it's the "hottest" thing out they buy it. Anyway I'm already stuck with the 2 year contract with my Droid Incredible and I'm not complaining it's a good phone so I'm not even paying attention to what new phones are coming I can't get it anyway. I just ignore everything until my time comes up to start looking for a new phone that's when I begin to research and try to make a decision on what phone I will be purchasing next. So the the new Thunderbolt can come out, or the Iphone on Verizon and it still won't make a difference to me.

15. parkschr

parkschr Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Ohio
    I do not believe an iphone is coming to Verizon until I see it posted in an television ad or on their online store. :eek:

jj3699 likes this.
  16. SourPatchKid

SourPatchKid Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    The Android OS being less of a pain in the neck then Darth Apple doesn't change just because the iPhone is on the Verizon network.

17. rsarno

None

Jun 6, 2010
    Westchester, NY
    I never said anything about that point. My point is that the network will suffer from all the added traffic.

18. SourPatchKid

SourPatchKid Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    My reason for saying that is that I don't think you'd have as many people switching to iPhones as one would think.

19. rsarno

None

Jun 6, 2010
    Westchester, NY
    I think you would be surprised. Most people i talk to dont want to know anything about rooting, or flashing, or settings. They just want to open the phone and make a call, or play an app now and then.

iphone is perfect for them.

I also know a lot of people who stood with verizon only because of the network, but would love to have an iphone. Now they will be getting one.

Then there are the people who cannot stand AT&T so they will switch, regardless of cost.

20. sergey

sergey Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2009
    reducing the hate on Android and iPhone
    NYC
    The iPhone will strain the network as much as any other smartphone. If the crush of iPhone users won't strain it, a crush of Android users will. It's stupid to blame the iPhone for that.

You all should want the iPhone on Verizon- it will keep Android developers from getting complacent and will motivate them more to do better things. Look at Apple- they got a bit sloppy on AT&T because they knew they were the top dog. At Verizon, Android was the top dog. Not anymore- now they have to work to be the top smartphone choice on Big Red. Which I say is good. I go with whoever is better- I am not committed to either platform.

This won't have the doomsday mass exodus to Verizon that everybody is worreid about.

AT&T users are locked into a contract with a sky-high termination fee. There are family plans, business plans, people who get AT&T work discounts but not Verizon discounts. There are cities, amazingly enough, where AT&T isn't so bad. There are people with grandfathered 3G unlimited plans. iPhone users are used to the bad service, I had a friend tell me when he makes a call, he just always prefaces it with, "I'm on my iPhone so if it cuts out I'll call you back..." A small minority of the iPhone 4, 3GS users will switch no matter what and will pay hundreds of dollars to do so. So what?

Those iPhone, iPhone 3G users who still have a iPhone may switch, but then again if they still have a 2, 3yr phone, I'm guessing the if it ain't broke, don't fix attitude will prevail.

The biggest iPhone sales will come from within Verizon's ranks (the dumbphone users with NE2), the casual user wanting a smartphone on Verizon, and iPhone 4 buyers that aren't planning to wait for a iPhone 5 and now have a choice to see which service is better for them.

Again, you won't see a doomsday scenario with Verizon Android users- the oldest Android phone is the Droid, which is what, still 1yr old? So there is still a financial barrier.

Even if they release the fabled unicorn white iPhone, again how much is a white iPhone? $300 ETF and another $200 to buy it? Those sales are negligible.

It's one phone people. What is this, the Keyzer Soze of phones? You're just hyping it up. There are, what, 4 LTE Android phones coming? Tegra 2 anybody? Chillax.

21. nkk

nkk Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2010
    Remember that there was a study done some time ago that showed the iPhone using less data than an Android phone. IIRC, it was a fairly sizable disparity. Using that as a basis, it would seem that the network would benefit from people getting and iPhone instead of an android phone. Of course, that does not take into account those who are coming from another network or Dumbphones, but it is something to keep in mind.

-Nkk

22. mpciii

mpciii Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    VA
    I am thrilled. Without the iPhone, the Bionic and Thunderbolt are hands down the most popular phones coming on the network (either way they will be the best). The cost for them would probably be at a premium. With the iPhone, the cost has to stay competitive. I think the iPhone will just make the Android phones and services (which are better in my opinion) more affordable.

23. rsarno

None

Jun 6, 2010
    Westchester, NY
    Thats a very good point!

24. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    It's looking good this time. I'm not too worried about it though. VZW spends billions on their infrastructure to keep it up and running. I'm sure they will prepare for a surge in data. Who knows, this might be what ends out unlimited 3G data...

25. Experimentalist

None

Dec 15, 2010
    This!