• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else think Auto-Correct sucks?

I keep auto-correct and quick fixes on in Captivate, using the stock Android keyboard over the Samsung one. Today it swapped "Cya" for "Cyanide". Seriously?

Anyone else think the autocorrect just sucks ass all around? I know I can add words that I commonly use, but some of it's suggestions are still mind boggling. What are some alternative options?

I keep auto-correct and quick fixes on in Captivate, using the stock Android keyboard over the Samsung one. Today it swapped "Cya" for "Cyanide". Seriously?

Anyone else think the autocorrect just sucks ass all around? I know I can add words that I commonly use, but some of it's suggestions are still mind boggling. What are some alternative options?

Use Swype...one of the best features of the phone.

Upvote 0
Personally swipe isn't my thing, so I'm using the android keyboard (the samsung one is okay but android's seems better). For me, the auto prediction is EXCELLENT, better than iOS by a mile, and bbOS, and all the dumb phones over the years, but that might be because I just type in standard English; I don't use the cell phone/internet slang like "ttyl" or "bc" or those things. I'm NOT slamming those terms, they're perfectly understandable and to each his/her own, but I think that the auto prediction probably is more suited to standard english.

Maybe they could have an option where you could enable a "shorthand" or "cell jargon" mode so that things like "cya" would auto write "see you" and the standard would make "cya" into "cyanide."

Upvote 0
I don't have any complaints about it. For the most part it works great when I'm typing in longer words and it spares me from having to type in the latter half of it.

Occasionally an odd word will slip into a text message but it's usually more humorous than anything else. 90% of the time though it's accurately correcting a typo. For instance turning 'thr' into 'the'.

Upvote 0
What about this, Auto-Correct seems to have added all my misspellings to its dictionary so that the misspellings are now regarded as "correct." So, it often "recognizes" crap like yhe (for "the") and substitutes that. Thus, it gets progressively worse (not better) with use - the more words I mis-type and don't catch, the more new wrong words it adds to the dictionary.

I haven't gotten around to trying to figure out the settings for this. Anyone know?

Upvote 0
Swype has its problems. Instead of selecting the word "Call" it does "Cal" I know im suppose to do that little swirly thing over the C but it doesnt always see it. Why the hell did they put "Cal" in the dictionary. That is something that should me manually added if you have a friend Cal or talke about calories or california all the time.

Upvote 0
I like the Android keyboard the most. The auto-correction only annoys me when it capitalizes the word when correcting. For example, "tou" would be corrected to "You" instead of "you". Why it wants to capitalize, I don't know :thinking:

Yes, this is so annoying! It doesn't do this all the time but for a lot of words it capitalizes them when it auto-corrects.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones