• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else thinking of cancelling home internet?

seriously? didn't know that

why is that anyway?
Depends on your provider I think. I did it for a month when I moved and had no internet. I took and made calls while tethering no problem. And I tethered as high as 2.5Mbs, ran VPNs, and everything I normally do. Phone and SMS continued to work. I used a BT headset just to make it complete and leave the phone where it had the best signal.

Upvote 0
Didn't you know?!?!?!? The iPhone is the ONLY phone on the market that can perform calls and data at the same time! It's true, Luke Wilson said so...

uhh while i enjoy the dig at the iPhone and Luke Wilson, what you said was inaccurate: GSM allows simulatenous voice/data while CDMA does not. Its about the network infastructure, not about the device.

To stay on topic, I could not cancel my home connection. no way jose, I download waaay to much stuff, and rely on wifi for other devices. I do tether on occassion when the home connection goes down, or when the bandwidth is being hogged by my PC gamer brother, and so tethering it is a nice convenience to have. However, it won't replace a home connection for me, and for the alot of people.

Upvote 0
uhh while i enjoy the dig at the iPhone and Luke Wilson, what you said was inaccurate: GSM allows simulatenous voice/data while CDMA does not. Its about the network infastructure, not about the device.

To stay on topic, I could not cancel my home connection. no way jose, I download waaay to much stuff, and rely on wifi for other devices. I do tether on occassion when the home connection goes down, or when the bandwidth is being hogged by my PC gamer brother, and so tethering it is a nice convenience to have. However, it won't replace a home connection for me, and for the alot of people.

GSM doesn't allow you to do simulatenous voice and data....its UMTS. Also what type of connection do you have for home? Just curious my cable modem at 15mbs down NEVER gets bogged down even if I start hardcore torrenting....

Upvote 0

Thanks, it was what it sounded like, a dig at the iPhone and Luke Wilson. Not meant to be accurate technical info.

Upvote 0
GSM doesn't allow you to do simulatenous voice and data....its UMTS. Also what type of connection do you have for home? Just curious my cable modem at 15mbs down NEVER gets bogged down even if I start hardcore torrenting....

and UTMS is, correct me if Im wrong, an iteration of GSM technology. Like LTE, EDGE, etc, UTMS falls under the GSM umbrella. Like EVDO and 1x fall under CDMA. minor nuance

Thanks, it was what it sounded like, a dig at the iPhone and Luke Wilson. Not meant to be accurate technical info.

:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones