• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else thinking of jumping ship to the Mercury?

cas8180

Apr 24, 2011
So I am feeling a little crappy now that I got the warp starting to fall in love with this little device. Even though it does have its fare amount of issues. But for 199 (regular off sale price) the Huawei Mercury looks like such a more compelling device. I mean for 229 you get a 1.4 chip vs 1ghz 8mp rear cam that shoots 720p HD video recording. A HUGE battery 1900mah amps front facing VGA camera and a better form factor in my personal opinion. It has a 4inch body with front metal casing. As opposed to a 4.3 with plastic casing. I mean it just seems night and day. So as quickly as I was to jump on the warp its time may have already passed :(. My primary use for my phone was to call long distance to Canada, snap off pictures shoot the occasional photo, text and surf the web. And for me the video quality is extremely poor camera shots only come out good when there is good lighting (the flash is useless) and my device freezes up randomly and I also get the random reboots that a lot of people are expierencing. :(

So I am feeling a little crappy now that I got the warp starting to fall in love with this little device. Even though it does have its fare amount of issues. But for 199 (regular off sale price) the Huawei Mercury looks like such a more compelling device. I mean for 229 you get a 1.4 chip vs 1ghz 8mp rear cam that shoots 720p HD video recording. A HUGE battery 1900mah amps front facing VGA camera and a better form factor in my personal opinion. It has a 4inch body with front metal casing. As opposed to a 4.3 with plastic casing. I mean it just seems night and day. So as quickly as I was to jump on the warp its time may have already passed :(. My primary use for my phone was to call long distance to Canada, snap off pictures shoot the occasional photo, text and surf the web. And for me the video quality is extremely poor camera shots only come out good when there is good lighting (the flash is useless) and my device freezes up randomly and I also get the random reboots that a lot of people are expierencing. :(

How is cricket's service though?

Upvote 0
So I am feeling a little crappy now that I got the warp starting to fall in love with this little device. Even though it does have its fare amount of issues.

Mine works flawlessly. If yours freeze intermittently then you undoubtedly have a crappy app on their causing the freeze. Mine never freezes. But then I practice a little restraint in loading apps too.

But for 199 (regular off sale price) the Huawei Mercury looks like such a more compelling device.

There's no end to that sort of BS. Go buy the Mercury, a month later there will be a better phone available, so you can sell the Mercury (at a loss obviously) and buy the new phone - perpetually.

Why do people not comprehend that ALL electronic manufacturers totally play on a person's inability to be satisfied? That game is what makes Apple and Microsoft huge behemoths in terms of revenue - because people cannot be satisfied with what they have because they're easily duped into thinking they need the latest and greatest and cannot possibly live without it.

Instead of thinking "I want this" try thinking with "Do I really need this?"

As for Cricket - when their service works it's really great. BUT, when there is a problem they will not admit to it and totally avoid explanations. Thus, I switched to Boost after several years of happily using Cricket. My advice - don't bother with Cricket.

Upvote 0
I wish I could find a good comparison of the networks boost vs sprint. Maybe I will go to the cricket store by my work tomorrow and give the device a test run and get a feel for there network. I don't suppose anyone knows the next line up of android devices the boost will be getting?

Upvote 0
Mine works flawlessly. If yours freeze intermittently then you undoubtedly have a crappy app on their causing the freeze. Mine never freezes. But then I practice a little restraint in loading apps too.

There's no end to that sort of BS. Go buy the Mercury, a month later there will be a better phone available, so you can sell the Mercury (at a loss obviously) and buy the new phone - perpetually.

Why do people not comprehend that ALL electronic manufacturers totally play on a person's inability to be satisfied? That game is what makes Apple and Microsoft huge behemoths in terms of revenue - because people cannot be satisfied with what they have because they're easily duped into thinking they need the latest and greatest and cannot possibly live without it.

Instead of thinking "I want this" try thinking with "Do I really need this?"

As for Cricket - when their service works it's really great. BUT, when there is a problem they will not admit to it and totally avoid explanations. Thus, I switched to Boost after several years of happily using Cricket. My advice - don't bother with Cricket.

Don't get it wrong... I am not trying to play the device chase game I am just trying to find a single phone that does all of what I need and use it for and does it well. I had the evo 4g for quite sometime and really had no intention of upgrading till I just couldn't take the battery life any longer.

Upvote 0
I wish I could find a good comparison of the networks boost vs sprint. Maybe I will go to the cricket store by my work tomorrow and give the device a test run and get a feel for there network. I don't suppose anyone knows the next line up of android devices the boost will be getting?

Rumor has it Boost will be seeing the Optimus Black and the Samsung Replenish in Q1 of 2012.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones