• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else waiting for Passion?

I wish I felt the same way. I love my Droid, have had it since release day but the problem is i have used the physical keyboard maybe twice. I really didnt think I would like the on screen keyboards but google has done an excellent job with them. in a weird OCD kind of way I want to get the passion because it doesnt have the keyboard that I am not using anyway :p

I may actually pay the $35 restocking fee and "return and rebuy" the droid tomorrow. This should extend my new return till Jan 13th and give the passion time to come out. If it doesn't come out by then, the Droid will be a keeper.

I don't think you can do this. As I was told last year with my Omnia, you can return and exchange once and it has to be with another phone. Maybe this changed, but i doubt it.

Upvote 0
I may actually pay the $35 restocking fee and "return and rebuy" the droid tomorrow. This should extend my new return till Jan 13th and give the passion time to come out. If it doesn't come out by then, the Droid will be a keeper.

When I returned my Droid for the Eris on Friday, the VZ sales lady asked me if I was sure because you only get one return.

Upvote 0
I can't believe how much time I waste looking for any new info on this stupid phone. I WANT IT BAD too!!! I don't even know why I want it so bad, since the iphone I have is pretty good. Something about a new toy for gadget nerds like us that we just can't resist.... :D

That's too funny - I am exactly the same way.
My iphone is fine but I really want to get back on Verizon and I think this might do the trick.

I have already looked up my favorite apps in the Android store and they're all there. I'd love to see some of the games make it over though.

Upvote 0
Not to sound naive or rule-bound, but how the heck do you all (a) have time to keep running back to a VZW store or spend hours on the phone to "negotiate" returns or lobby complaints and (b) to be able to, with a straight face, keep asking for returns, exchanges, or somehow talk your way into loopholes in the various policies? I guess I don't have the balls to keep asking for things I'm technically entitled to.

So...I'm hanging onto my Verizon Storm until the HTC Passion comes out...and hope that the early upgrade offer (was it only for the Storm 2 & Droid??) still applies to me.

Upvote 0
Not to sound naive or rule-bound, but how the heck do you all (a) have time to keep running back to a VZW store or spend hours on the phone to "negotiate" returns or lobby complaints and (b) to be able to, with a straight face, keep asking for returns, exchanges, or somehow talk your way into loopholes in the various policies? I guess I don't have the balls to keep asking for things I'm technically entitled to.

So...I'm hanging onto my Verizon Storm until the HTC Passion comes out...and hope that the early upgrade offer (was it only for the Storm 2 & Droid??) still applies to me.

Where I come from there's a saying: "A closed mouth doesn't get fed". You are a valued customer, if you are not satisfied, make it known, if you are within your return period and something better comes along, exchange it. VZW will have no problem getting every penny they think they are entitled to from your contract. Just ask for it, if someone says no, call back and ask someone else. If you are paying your bill what are they going to do?

Upvote 0
I had an HTC with US Cellular and all was fine and dandy. But the Storm looked so great, I switched to Verizon and was happy with my new phone...not for long. I have no problem telling anyone I hate this phone. I hate it even more since it upgraded. I was pleased to learn I am eligible for a new phone in February. I have high hopes for the Passion since my other HTC was great. Hopefully, by February the verdict will be in. :)

Upvote 0
I am looking forward to this device.
My brother picked up the Motorola Droid on its November initial release day, but me, I'm a different story.
I am holding out for the bigger, hopefully better Dragon/Passion.

I am very unhappy with the whole Blackberry experience & OS completely.
I have been off and on with RIM for several years.
(Mainly because I had a relative who was previously employed with RIM)

I am also very unhappy with the WinMo OS. Been following it as well for quite some time.
...And No I'm not some MAC fanboy either...
(Please note that I understand NO Operating System IS perfect)

And then there's Android. This OS...it just seems like a breathe of fresh air compared to all the others.

I look forward to seeing what HTC has done with the Android 2.0 OS. Their Sense UI is very impressive. I am not going to assume what all HTC is going to tweak and/or include with the Dragon/Passion,
Sense UI or not...
but whatever HTC DOES bring, I'm sure it will be fantastic.
Fingers crossed that the Dragon WILL have the FULL Navigation like the Moto Droid.
C'monnnnn Goooooogle!!!!! :)

Count me in for the Dragon/Passion

Upvote 0
I am waiting for the Passion, I have a storm now, and I have really been unhappy until the last few updates. However, too little too late. I am going Passion unless it really really blows or it is so expensive. I just don't want to to pull the trigger on it.

BTW, this is my fist post, I am on my 3rd Blackberry so this is not my first time to the dance. I am just needing more out of my phone than a slow UI and lackluster phone.

D

Upvote 0
I am waiting for the Passion, I have a storm now, and I have really been unhappy until the last few updates. However, too little too late. I am going Passion unless it really really blows or it is so expensive. I just don't want to to pull the trigger on it.

BTW, this is my fist post, I am on my 3rd Blackberry so this is not my first time to the dance. I am just needing more out of my phone than a slow UI and lackluster phone.

D

I will not miss the battery pulls. (or using quickpull app to mimic a reset)
I will also not miss the memory leaks.
I will of course, with any future phone purchase, be testing/playing with the Dragon/Passion prior to jumping into it for my next phone.

Upvote 0
Right there with you, Dave. My Storm is almost acceptable now, except for lack of wi-fi, a critical void when you get signals of worse than -112 dbm in and around your home. In fact, VZW techs have told me I have good cause for terminating my contract w/o early term fees since I've endured poor signals for over 2 years.

I'm just hoping for the Passion to be released before my prior rebate credit cards expire on 1/1/10.

D

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I think Verizon is typically the problem when it comes to getting the latest OS versions. All Storm owners noticed over the past year how long it took VZW to "approve" and officially release OS updates while Rogers and Telus and other worldwide carriers were releasing official updates more frequently. Right now, with the Droid Eris, even though its HTC twin (Sprint's HTC Hero) got the 1.6 Android OS update, there's no indication of the Eris getting it. Why? Because Verizon in their hyper-conservative nature hasn't put any pressure on HTC to do so. Keep in mind that probably 80-85% of users don't even pay attention to things like OS updates...and Verizon's philosophy is to not rock the boat with updates, which undoubtedly throws the vast majority of the user base into a panic anytime they need to either do an OTA upgrade or (God forbid) connect their phones to their PC's for an update (e.g. via Blackberry DM).

So if you're not happy with the lack of OS updates on devices, I would say put more pressure on Verizon, fully realizing that every single person who posts on a forum like this (or Crackberry or whatever) represents a very small minority of VZW's customer base.

So....I'm very tempted to switch to T-Mo, especially when their signals are far stronger in my immediate neighborhood. That said, the HTC Passion still looks like THE device for me...though I gotta say, the VPhone looks enticing.

Upvote 0
I might get a Droid, but not without testing out this Passion device first, whenever it is released. I have a lot of patience and I can wait a very long time and the Droid is not going anywhere. I have a Q9M and my contract is up but my next phone is going to have to be one that I really want, since I'll be stuck with it for two years. If it were one year, I would definitely get the Droid now, but two years is a long time to be stuck with something subpar (for me since I don't like the physical keyboard) and my current phone does most of what I need it to. I have no problem waiting this thing out. I'd much rather have an HTC than another Moto. I think it will be worth the wait.

Upvote 0
@ Marsh511
I remember the day I got my Storm, I immediately went home, and wiped it, and installed an "unofficial" beta. which worked much better than the .78 version VZW had all its poor customers stuck on.

I can agree with you though, the official OTA from VZW and the even later versions found elsewhere, help the storm out tremendously.
I'm to the point now, where I'm ready to jump the RIM ship...
Ready for the change to Android. My brother absolutely loves his Moto Droid.
I am waiting to see what the beginning Q1 of 2010 brings.

Upvote 0
I might get a Droid, but not without testing out this Passion device first, whenever it is released. I have a lot of patience and I can wait a very long time and the Droid is not going anywhere. ...but my next phone is going to have to be one that I really want, since I'll be stuck with it for two years. I have no problem waiting this thing out. I think it will be worth the wait.

+1
I will probably wait as far as the 1st week of Feb 2010. I'm assuming I will have my new device by then. (Sooner hopefully)

Upvote 0
+1
I will probably wait as far as the 1st week of Feb 2010. I'm assuming I will have my new device by then. (Sooner hopefully)

Agreed. I'll probably do the same and just chalk all this "passion" talk up to messageboard rumors. I think if there is no "official" word by HTC or VZ by mid to late Jan, then it probably doesn't exist. Don't get me wrong I think the Droid seems pretty cool, but it ain't going anywhere.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
HTC Passion and Verizon spend some time together | Google Android Blog

Take a look at this guys.I did read down to the link but did not click on it yet.Wanted to pass this along first.
The story is just based on that silly htcpassion.com site which has been discussed on this form here: http://androidforums.com/htc-passion/19308-www-htcpassion-com.html

There's tons of 2nd rate blogs picking up the (fake) htcpassion.com story now and lots of tweets. On one hand, it's pointless cause not only is it an old rumor but an old debunked rumor. On the other hand, the more people get hot and bothered over this device being reality, maybe the better chance there is of some official or leaked info seeing the light of day soon.

Upvote 0
When did said friend test said phone?

FCC lesson of the day: Companies (like HTC) submitting phones to the FCC must submit a test report to the FCC on the phone's radio emissions conducted by a third party (perhaps like said friend's company).

I asked but he wouldn't let me know. There are a number of confidential FCC filings by HTC like the one below so it may already have been approved.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearchResult.cfm?RequestTimeout=500https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...e=N&application_id=662544&fcc_id='NM8PB81100'

Hopefully, this is the case.

Upvote 0
Not sure if someone else pointed this out, but the WHOIS for the htcpassion.com site lists the address -- "8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #110 - 732
Westchester, CA 90045."

This address is also associated with Internet scams for other companies. See the following links:
Click Fraud and Scam sites: October 2007
Persistent ICQ spammers: smstrap.com, helixcrew.com - news.admin.net-abuse.sightings | Google Groups

Do a search on this address on google and almost every link involves some type of scam.

While this is true, it can also be used in a legitimate fashion. If that site was registered to Verizon or HTC, it would immediately confirm the devices existence. Hiding the site in this way raises doubt. I'm not saying that is the case, but it is possible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones