• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone get a Google Prepaid Card refund yet?

gtbarry

Android Expert
Jul 15, 2012
California
When I purchased my Galaxy Nexus I received a $10 Google Prepaid Card in my google wallet. It was activated and never used. The card was discontinued on October 17th. I followed the instructions in the notification email I was sent shortly there after and applied for the refund in the form of a mastercard (should take two weeks). It has been a month or more since.

To date I have received nothing. Anyone else apply for this and receive anything?

Here is a snippet from the email I received from google:

We wrote to you in September to let you know that we would be discontinuing the Google Prepaid Card on October 17th. The card has now been removed from your Google Wallet, and you can no longer use it for purchases. However, you can still receive the remaining balance from the card until June 1st, 2013, by requesting a refund.

There are two ways to receive your refund, each with a different delivery time:
Plastic Prepaid Card: Spend your balance easily with a prepaid Everywhere Reward Card

I'm pretty sure google isnt just going to give you ten bucks because you got ten bucks on a prepaid card with your phone. from the sound of it you didnt buy any credit on the prepaid card. I did receive my refund for the money i had put on my prepaid card before they just offeredc any debit card a long time ago.

thats like if apple said "hey free $15 gift card with a new iphone 5!" "wait nah we're not gonna offer the itunes cards anymore" and gave you the 15$ instead.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure google isnt just going to give you ten bucks because you got ten bucks on a prepaid card with your phone. from the sound of it you didnt buy any credit on the prepaid card. I did receive my refund for the money i had put on my prepaid card before they just offeredc any debit card a long time ago.

thats like if apple said "hey free $15 gift card with a new iphone 5!" "wait nah we're not gonna offer the itunes cards anymore" and gave you the 15$ instead.

Perhaps more or the email will convince you otherwise......

Important dates affecting your Google Prepaid Card
September 17, 2012: You will no longer be able to add funds to your Google Prepaid Card or add a new Google Prepaid Card to a new device. Please be aware that resetting the Google Wallet app after this date will remove the Google Prepaid Card and you will not be able to re-add the card. Find out more at Prepaid Card Program Termination ? Google Wallet
October 17, 2012: Your Google Prepaid Card will disappear from the Google Wallet app and you won

Upvote 0
Refunds were delayed but are on the way:

We are writing to let you know that we received your Google Prepaid Card refund request on 10/17/2012. Unfortunately, unexpected processing issues have delayed your refund card.

The good news is these issues have been resolved and you will receive your prepaid refund card in the mail by 12/22/2012. We are sincerely sorry for any inconvenience this delay may have caused you.

If you have any concerns or questions, please contact us or visit the refund site.

Thank you for your patience,

Brian
The Google Wallet Team

Upvote 0
As a public service to those of you who are not doubters, I received my free ten dollars from Google today. Be careful though. The envelope will be generic. Mine just had a return address of Omaha, Nebraska on it. The envelope was super thin and easy to dismiss as junk mail. I opened it up and there was one sheet of paper and the card.

Curiously, the letter head was from metabank and said it was from "IRR CREAM". It also said it was a replacement card for a "reported everywhere reward MasterCard lost or stolen".

I called the 800 number and they confirmed it was my ten dollars from Google.

Hey it looks like they DID "just give me ten dollars instead" after all!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones