• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone go from a 10" screen to the Nexus?

rubejb

Android Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2010
Hello all,

I currently have a Motorola Xoom that I purchased recently and I like the device for the most part. However, I read a lot on it and the massive weight of it is a bit annoying. So I was thinking of selling it and buying a Nexus 7 instead.

Has anyone else gone a similar route, from a 10" tablet down to a 7"? And what were your thoughts? Did you regret losing the extra screen size?

The real main thing stopping me from instantly going to the Nexus is the storage space. I currently have 32GB onboard as well as a 32GB Micro SD (which is loaded with movies that I honestly don't ever watch so it's not a huge issue). So even going down to the 16GB model will be a huge step down. I do quite a bit of gaming, so the lack of space might be a problem.

Anyway, I just wanted to get the take of other's who have made the 10 to 7 switch.

Thanks!

I own both. The real estate loss is noticeable (it's a full three inches, it would be silly to say it isn't noticeable).

The performance is night to day. The Xoom even running ICS feels laggy and slow sometimes. I love the performance on the N7.

Currently I use the N7 for everything I used to use my Xoom for, except when it comes to movies/netflix. I still prefer to use the Xoom for those, plus the whole HDMI out piece.

I am happy owning the 7. No regrets at all. I think I would sell my Xoom but I doubt anyone would buy it... when the 7 is out for $200 who would care for an outdated Xoom? :(

Reactions: rubejb
Upvote 0
I own both. The real estate loss is noticeable (it's a full three inches, it would be silly to say it isn't noticeable).

The performance is night to day. The Xoom even running ICS feels laggy and slow sometimes. I love the performance on the N7.

Currently I use the N7 for everything I used to use my Xoom for, except when it comes to movies/netflix. I still prefer to use the Xoom for those, plus the whole HDMI out piece.

I am happy owning the 7. No regrets at all. I think I would sell my Xoom but I doubt anyone would buy it... when the 7 is out for $200 who would care for an outdated Xoom? :(

Thanks for the quick response. I don't watch movies or netflix on my tablet now, so I don't think I'd miss the extra size for that. But I do game on it which might be an issue.

And the Xoom is still selling for 200-220ish used. It's still a fairly good device by today's standards. I'm just tired of lugging it around. :)

Upvote 0
I haven't made the switch, as I've never used a 10" tablet, but I love the gaming on the nexus 7. Shadowgun looks and runs awesome, that's about the heaviest thing I can find to throw at it. The controls are easily reached, and the extremely light weight tablet doesn't get heavy or anything holding it.

You're speaking my language. :)

Another gripe I have about the Xoom's weight is that it's int very game-friendly. Sure, it's perfect when I have it on it's stand using a PS3 controller. But if I try and use onscreen controls, actually holding it, my hands cramp up after a short time.

*Sigh* I guess I really should just bite the bullet, sell the Xoom and get the Nexus. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I own an iPad 3 which I use exclusively at home. The Nexus 7 is my preferred tablet for use intermittently at work. The Jellybean OS is awesome, especially when tweaked with the Nova Prime launcher. I look forward to Google releasing an iPad sized tablet with an LTE option. At that point, the iPad will be destined for eBay. In any form factor, the Jellybean OS blows the IOS OS away. Bravo Google.

Upvote 0
I own a Touchpad and run CM9 on it, so it's got Android and a 10" screen.

I use my Nexus 7 so much more than I ever used my Touchpad. It's tremendous. The increase in portability and usability is huge.

The screen is noticeably smaller - but the gains in size and weight are worth it, by far.

Upvote 0
I had an ipad 1 since release, I had a desire hd for a long time and loved the whole interface. The soon as I seen this coming out I sold the ipad on ebay got 215 quid. Replaced it with this. I personally don't need the bigger size. This is far more convenient for work, travel and at home. I never looked back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Currently running a nexus 7 and a Toshiba Excite 10, both Tegra 3s.
I upgraded from an Acer A500 and almost returned the Toshiba but didn't and I'm glad, because I think the 10 and 7 inch form factors both have their place.

I carry the Nexus 7 daily, but use the Toshiba when I'm at home.
I carried a 10 and learned that I'd rather carry a 7, especially when it has the same power. It's just more convenient.

Upvote 0
I've had a Toshiba thrive since Xmas and a nexus for a couple weeks. I haven't used the thrive since getting the nexus - I am liking jelly bean that much. So much better/faster/smoother and I like the smaller size. I just need to get a case for the nexus - would love a multi-angle one line I have for the thrive.

Upvote 0
I sold my 16GB Galaxy Tab 10.1 for my N7 and one of the things I *really* love about the changeover is how much easier gaming is.. On the GTab, there were awkward times when I needed to reach further across the screen with either thumb than was comfortable. I've yet to encounter this with the N7, as between both thumbs, I can reach the entire screen without stretching.

Performance differences aside, the difference between screen sizes, and the resulting better pixel density make the n7 the clear winner, IMO :)

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
First night with the Nexus. My other tablet is an ipad 3. So far I love how much lighter and easier to handle the Nexus is. Way easier to type without having to set it down in my lap. I don't game or watch movies on my tablets so I'm beginning to think the Nexus is a better fit for my purposes.

I to want a Nexus with 3G.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick response. I don't watch movies or netflix on my tablet now, so I don't think I'd miss the extra size for that. But I do game on it which might be an issue.

And the Xoom is still selling for 200-220ish used. It's still a fairly good device by today's standards. I'm just tired of lugging it around. :)

Unless you're in a cash crunch & need the $ to buy the NEXUS 7, I'd keep the XOOM, as it's still getting O/S updates (have heard it's getting JELLY BEAN, if it hasn't already), & also buy the N7.

I had just purchased my XYBOARD 10.1 when the NEXUS 7 was officially announced. If not for that, I probably would have got one on the 1st day of release. I got the OEM keyboard/portfolio for my XYBOARD & use it more as a netbook/laptop than what most people use a tablet for. I'd recommend the same OEM keyboard/portfolio for your XOOM (pretty sure it's compatible), keep it, & get the NEXUS 7. I plan on getting one myself for the same reasons that you stated.

Upvote 0
As well as the N7 I have a Transformer Prime, and the only thing I still use the Transformer for is reading Comics. The 7" screen on the N7 is just too small to read a complete page and having to scroll around the page is annoying.

Own the same two myself. Honestly, I haven't touched my Prime since I got the N7. Could be honeymoon period, or just that I love it so much. :D
10", especially with the docking station is good for a portable laptop replacement, but for lounging around the apartment, I prefer my N7.

Upvote 0
Unless you're in a cash crunch & need the $ to buy the NEXUS 7, I'd keep the XOOM, as it's still getting O/S updates (have heard it's getting JELLY BEAN, if it hasn't already), & also buy the N7.

I had just purchased my XYBOARD 10.1 when the NEXUS 7 was officially announced. If not for that, I probably would have got one on the 1st day of release. I got the OEM keyboard/portfolio for my XYBOARD & use it more as a netbook/laptop than what most people use a tablet for. I'd recommend the same OEM keyboard/portfolio for your XOOM (pretty sure it's compatible), keep it, & get the NEXUS 7. I plan on getting one myself for the same reasons that you stated.

Yeah, I thought about keeping the Xoom in case I really didn't like the Nexus. But then I realized that right now I can get $200+ for it. So if I sell it and have to buy one again down the line, I can just wait a while and get one for around the same price or cheaper.

Either that or I can wait a year or more, get a different 10" tablet that's much lighter and possibly has better specs for the same cost.

Upvote 0
I have both a N7 and the TF101 with keyboard dock. For me, they have separate purposes. I can actually get some work done with the TF101 set-up as well as watch movies on it. Plus, the expandable storage on the TF101 means I can keep local copies of my music and movies on it. The N7 is good for on the fly, quick web browsing, reading books and playing games... it's more of a go-to for fun stuff. If I were only allowed one of the two, I'd have to go with the TF101. Of course, not much of that applies for you so take it for what it's worth. :p

Upvote 0
I sold my Xoom just before the N7 came. I can't say that I have any regrets.

Of course, it's sometimes nice to have a larger screen and in my opinion the Xoom's screen was quite good. However everything else is better on the N7. I use it more just because of its comfort and portability. I find 7" a better size for games too.

I also have the software comparison. Honeycomb was terrible and I became tired of the browser crashing continuously. I didn't see ICS or JB on the Xoom but can only assume that the quad core N7 runs faster.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones