• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone going to get the thunderbolt?

Thank you all for your shared information. This thread has been considerably more helpful than others I have come across.

I'm a current Eris user... a broken, out of warranty, no insurance, Eris user to be exact. I am however eligible for an upgrade, which I was hoping to save for something to be released within the next few months. Unfortunately, because I am lacking a working phone, I need to use that upgrade now. I've been considering either the DX or the TB, at a one year contract, with hopes that something really cool will be available in ten months and that the 4G kinks will be worked out by then. With that said, should I really be considering the DX? It seems that many posts in this thread say that there isn't enough difference between the two to warrant using an upgrade... but considering my situation, is going to the TB a smarter decision?

Sorry if this wasn't the best place to post this question. I figured that you DX users could offer better input, as many of you have already considered moving to the TB.

Thanks for any input you can provide. Take care!

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your shared information. This thread has been considerably more helpful than others I have come across.

I'm a current Eris user... a broken, out of warranty, no insurance, Eris user to be exact. I am however eligible for an upgrade, which I was hoping to save for something to be released within the next few months. Unfortunately, because I am lacking a working phone, I need to use that upgrade now. I've been considering either the DX or the TB, at a one year contract, with hopes that something really cool will be available in ten months and that the 4G kinks will be worked out by then. With that said, should I really be considering the DX? It seems that many posts in this thread say that there isn't enough difference between the two to warrant using an upgrade... but considering my situation, is going to the TB a smarter decision?

Sorry if this wasn't the best place to post this question. I figured that you DX users could offer better input, as many of you have already considered moving to the TB.

Thanks for any input you can provide. Take care!

I went with the DX on a one year contract. Around the same price as the TB and I can then see how the new phones this year shake out before jumping in. The Droid X is a great phone, especially since I don't live in a 4G area.

Upvote 0
Well guys I gotta say, battery life not withstanding, the Thunderbolt is the best phone i've ever owned. The display is Amazing compared to my x. I the one thing I absolutely hated about my X was the camera. It took horrible pictures indoors, and took Forever to take a picture. The thunderbolt takes very fast pictures and has an amazing flash that doesn't wash out the image. Another thing that I hate is downloading Apps to replace stock apps. These phones have enough bloatware on them without dl'ing redundant apps. The stock sms app does group texts very well on my thunderbolt the x sucked at it. I had to have lp on the x, but the sense launched is silky smooth. The phone is just overall faster than my rom'd and oc'd x. And I know it's kinda trivial but I love my kickstand. The X will hold a very dear place in my heart, but it's the wife's phone now. I did put gb on it for her the other day :)

Upvote 0
Having to use LP on the X is not a bad thing. I used it on my OG droid and got used to it and was the first app I put on my X. Did not even try the stock launcher. To me the X is fast, smooth and the battery life is second to none(especially rooted with Quick Clock). To me the battery is huge. I refuse to have a phone I have to charge up in the middle of the day....period. Got bigger things to worry about other than a call being cut off with a customer because my battery went dead at 11:00AM.
Camera wise, if you are expecting quality photos from a phone you really do not understand quality photos.

Upvote 0
Well guys I gotta say, battery life not withstanding, the Thunderbolt is the best phone i've ever owned. The display is Amazing compared to my x. I the one thing I absolutely hated about my X was the camera. It took horrible pictures indoors, and took Forever to take a picture. The thunderbolt takes very fast pictures and has an amazing flash that doesn't wash out the image. day :)

FWIW, re: camera, I found the X to take much faster pics than the T-bolt.

Upvote 0
I upgraded to TB from Droid X and thought I was going to return and hate the TB for sure. Honestly, I love it. Much better software than Droid X.

Hardware-wise, I like the orientation of the screen better too. Wider and better for my uses. HTC Sense is how Android should be. Droid X was too unpolished.

Just my honest opinion.

Upvote 0
I love my DX, but I've played with my friends T-Bolt, and guys..... it's an upgrade, no doubt about it. But then again it should be. The DX was released 9 months ago. That's an eternity in terms of smartphones. It's about damn time something came out that can whip the DX's ass. If all the phones coming out right now still couldn't do any better than my DX I'd be sitting here going WTF???

It's technology, it moves forward. No use getting all bitter because our phone is no longer the king of the hill. Don't worry, the T-Bolt won't be the king of the hill for very long either. In fact it probably won't even be the king of the hill beyond this summer. It's the 'IT' phone right now, but there are even trickier devices on their way. That's why I'm not jumping ship to one. I have an upgrade coming the 1st of April, but I'm hanging on to it until the summer releases have sorted themselves out.

The DX reigned supreme for a very long time in smartphone years. For my very first Android device (not counting the D1 I owned for 3 days prior to returning it to order my DX) I couldn't have asked for a better phone. But I knew this day would come, and it has. It's second tier equipment now. As good as it is, there is better equipment to be had. Time marches on.

Reactions: jroc and jreed2560
Upvote 0
HA!!! Good to hear. In the lounge (where I've been hanging out for the most part) they were saying HTC followed suit along with Moto and locked down their newer devices (T-Bolt and EVO-Shift) the same way the DX/D2 is locked down. That really bummed me out, because I'm looking towards HTC for my next device. Since I have absolutely no faith in Moto to unlock any future device they come out with, HTC seems like the best choice to me.

The Thunderbolt is a awesome device. A lot of people (here especially) dismissed it when the press release came out, saying it wasn't improved enough to switch from their DX to it. But from what I experienced while playing with it, it is absolutely worth going to if you have an upgrade available.

As I stated I'm not switching over to one just yet because I too wasn't all that impressed with the spec sheet of the T-Bolt. But now that I've played with one I have to say that spec sheets don't do a device justice. So I'm going to play around with a bunch of devices that may or may not have impressed me on paper and see which one impresses me the most in the palm of my hand.

I'm sure you're enjoying your new toy JReed!

Upvote 0
Weird my x would take up to 2nd seconds to take a picture even with the onscreen button. The tbolt is a half second tops. But hardware/software varies from phone to phone so it's highly possible for your x to be faster than mine

were you holding the button down halfway to autofocus first?
if I do that, then taking the picture is only a second.

the Tbolt doesn't have a button, so touching the screen means autofocus and picture taking is all in one, which is a good 2+ seconds.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones