• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone had luck getting early upgrades?

so ventured into a store to see what can be done the manager told me to call customer service. Monday im on a mission until i get the answer i want. Im in the same boat as the OP 9 months into a 2 year and if this guy got TWO upgrades when in reality his MAIN line should only have an annual upgrade and the second line would be upgraded in the NE2. So we will see what happens

The manager also said they dont move up upgrades anymore which has to be bs bc tons of people ive read got theirs moved up

Upvote 0
you have to find the right agent, who will bend the rules for you. I got an Eris in december, without it affecting my new every two plan. Then sadly my Eris was wrecked, got an early upgrade deal in early July and got the LG Ally for free! I hated that phone returned it and got the Droid X for the $199 price. Always be nice and don't yell is all I can say...
or get lucky...

Upvote 0
you have to find the right agent, who will bend the rules for you. I got an Eris in december, without it affecting my new every two plan. Then sadly my Eris was wrecked, got an early upgrade deal in early July and got the LG Ally for free! I hated that phone returned it and got the Droid X for the $199 price. Always be nice and don't yell is all I can say...
or get lucky...

i never yell and im always nice i just need the right line after they say the OH NO thats not possible :thinking:

Upvote 0
I got a card in the mail that said I was eligible for an early upgrade and I also did not have to pay anything up front they billed me till sept 31.:) Got the x for 179.00 and 20% off for corporate discount and 20% off for loyalty discount off the case and the desktop mount.

My upgrade date was 5/11

Upvote 0
Just got the postcard in the mail today telling me that my primary line is eligible for a "Special EARLY Upgrade at lowest promotional price on ANY smartphone". Last year September I upgraded to a touch pro 2 with only 1 year under the belt on a family plan. So 11 months in and I'm golden. I think they got wise because I was purchasing droid originals straight up with no contracts. I was going to wait for the next big phone but if Verizon keeps this up I will have a new phone once a year. If I jump on this I got a TP2 and droid to sell, decisions decisions decisions.

Upvote 0
So I bought a Droid last November and the wife got a Tour at the same time. We were new customers then. My annual upgrade wouldn't be until November and contract wasn't up until Nov. 2011.

Well just before the DX launch I got an email saying my primary line was eligible to upgrade to the DX early. I called - they didn't want to honor that email saying it wasn't right, but after some calm persuasion they honored the email. I know the company I left (AT&T) would have told me to pound sand. I was happy to be a VZW customer.

My wife hated the Tour so I was just going to give her the Droid and get her off the BB garbage.

Well last week in the mail we got a postcard saying we could upgrade her line early to any smartphone at promotional pricing.

Not sure what gives, but we aren't going to complain! :)

Upvote 0
I wasn't eligible until September of 2011 on my line but when I went into the store one of the employees told me of a little trick. I just opened up a new line and got the DX with two year contract at 200$. Now i just need to cancel my old line.

overall I get a new phone number (which is a benefit for me)
The cost
+ $300 for DX
- $100 for mail in rebate
+ $140 to cancel old line
- $75-100 if I sell my old phone
= $240-265 total

pretty good deal in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Sounds like it's been hit-or-miss, even with some of you guys getting emails or postcards saying you can upgrade early.

I'm still waiting for a check for something before I can call and request an upgrade.

If they send me a postcard/email they are damn sure giving me the deal even if I have to email the CEO of Verizon.

im gonna call and say i got a post card in the mail who are they to tell me i didnt! lolol

They made me send the copy of the email, I'm sure they would have made me scan the postcard if I claimed that.

Upvote 0
My "early upgrade" isn't until the middle of October. I've tried e-mailing CSR's 3 times. Each time I get the same answer -- my upgrade isn't until...blah blah blah... But they did add " The Droid X however is not the only Android phone we will be releasing this year. Most of our "big" devices are released around the 4th quarter and perhaps we will have a device at that time that you will also want."

So we'll see..

Upvote 0
They are letting me upgrade from my Eris to the X for the $199 ( after rebate ) price. I just called and said to cancel my account, I was switching to the EVO and they said that they can go ahead and upgrade my line which is only 9-10 months old. I got the Eris as soon as they launched so I only had the $175 ETF to start with, it was down to $135 when I called, so if anyone is trying to upgrade that has the $350 ETF they my have a little more trouble if Verizon tries to hold them to the contract. It was ordered on Monday and they said it will ship Thursday with free overnight shipping.

Upvote 0
i tried emailing them today for the 3rd time about moving my ne2 date up. i tried to get them to do it last month but now my ne2 is only a week away - and i just got a response back.

the guy said that he would be happy to help me with my request, that normally he would call to 'expedite the order' but that it was too late to call and then told me how to order online.
so i go on to my account and nothing has changed, it still says i have 7 days left.

????

oh and in my email i told them i was going on vacation next week and wanted to get the X before i went on vacation. he told me that the X is schedule to ship aug 23 so that if i was going to be on vacation i should wait to order. however we all know that the X's are shipping WAY ahead of schedule.

Upvote 0
My daughter and I were about 10 months into a two year contract. I received a mailer last week saying that our lines were eligible for an early upgrade at the lowest promotional price to any smartphone. I went to Best Buy today, and they had just gotten a shipment of 25 X's. I upgraded to the X for $199.99 with very little trouble. Best Buy had to call Verizon, who had to change my eligibility in their system. It took about ten minutes on the phone.

I went home, and my son decided he wanted one too. We drove back to Best Buy and I took the mailer with me. They called Verizon again to have the eligibility date changed so that we could buy the X, and we got a really bad Verizon rep who said that we needed to fax the mailer to them. We did so, but we could not get back to that agent again. I called customer service, who told me that I could upgrade over the phone and they would do an instant rebate instead of the mailin, but it could take a week to get the phone. While I was waiting to speak to a supervisor, the Best Buy employee called Verizon again, and got to an agent who said that it was no problem and that that we never should have had to fax anything to them. He changed the eligibility date, and we got the second X for $199.99. When the supervisor came on the line, I thanked her and told her that we had gotten an agent who knew what he was doing and that we had already gotten the phone upgraded.

The lesson of this long post is that all Verizon customer service agents are not created equally. If you get an agent who doesn't seem to know what he is talking about, he probably doesn't. Hang up and call back until you get one who does.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones