• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Anyone had success changing boot animation?

wow that sounds like a lot going on. I recall when I had problems with mine and I flashed odin a bunch of times, and wiped in recovery and system, when i rebooted like random stuff was still there. Wallpapers, lp, icons, etc that shouldnt have been there.

what eventually worked for me (although for a different problem) wipe in system, wipe in regular recovery, and factory reset in clockwork...flash pit/system, kernel, and clockwork recovery. boot to clockwork, ran adb command to completely remove voodoo and reboot.

im sure thats an ass-backwards way of doing stuff, but i was back to stock that way. with root and recovery

It was the LAGFIX!!! I forgot to undo THE LAGFIX!! Arg ... starting over again. It will work this time though! Strange how the lagfix brought back all that stuff from before the wipe, even though I did a factory wipe, and a CWM wipe, after restoring kernal, system, and main image files via odin.

I'm hoping it works this time. Call me guardedly optimistic.

Upvote 0
It was the LAGFIX!!! I forgot to undo THE LAGFIX!! Arg ... starting over again. It will work this time though! Strange how the lagfix brought back all that stuff from before the wipe, even though I did a factory wipe, and a CWM wipe, after restoring kernal, system, and main image files via odin.

http://androidforums.com/fascinate-all-things-root/203354-voodoo-toogle-app.html
While you've been tinkering lookie what we found.
Im not calling you either its after 10pm :p

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/fascinate-all-things-root/203354-voodoo-toogle-app.html
While you've been tinkering lookie what we found.
Im not calling you either its after 10pm :p

I'm back in business. And I got my boot animation to mostly work. I'm confused by one thing, though - there is a green hairline on the left and right while playing the non-looped part, and the same super thin green line on the top. When it switches to the looped part, it goes to the right of the screen.

I can't figure out what's causing that green line. Each PNG is formatted to 480x800, and the desc file properly states that resolution, unless I'm missing something. Once I get it tweaked, I think we'll all like it. It's pretty cool looking, but still rough around the edges.

Upvote 0
Flashed w/ JT's voodoo_kernel_0.2.zip.

Tried the attached animations and now the scribble. Bought root explorer, stuck them in local/data and system/media, but the default animation comes up. JT's post said it worked w/ these...what am I doin' wrong?

Check to make sure you're voodoo is running properly. Run a quadrant with SetCPU under performance mode. The lagfix does so much to change the filesystem that things can be weird if it doesn't get done completely right. Also, I know this sounds silly, but did you make sure to rename the animations to "bootanimation.zip"?

Upvote 0
Quadrants up from 800 to 1470, 1700, 1586. Yup they're renamed. I tried just system/media, just data/local, and both. I did get the battery is not connected error, however. It also took less than 5 minutes. Should I be doing the flash without the battery in there? Deebugging mode on or off?

Newsrob doesn't wig out when marking articles read and the whole GUI seems snappier, so I know its working.

Upvote 0

yeah that was the weirdest thing see stuff i *thought* was completely wiped magically return with all the lagfix removal wackiness. It through me for a real loop.

Upvote 0
Did you ever figure this out. I'm in the same boat.

I think it can be messed up by doing and undoing the lagfix, whether in conjunction with a custom kernel or not.

Here's how I eventually got mine to work.

Undo lagfix (there's a folder you put in the voodoo folder on your SD card that will trigger it. Quite handy!)

Rest phone

Do a complete restore with Odin (all three files)

Then root, CWM, the usual, but do it in a particular order.

This is the workflow I typically have the most consistent and stable luck with while working with the Samsung Fascinate. I'm running mine now after setting things up in this order, and it's working ridiculously well. Stable, fast, lots of battery life. And I can do any boot animation I want. I even successfully changed my startup sound today. Make sure you start with a fresh Fascinate though, and with no traces of any lagfix. This is important.

What I posted on another thread:
1. Purchase Fascinate (thx, cpt. obvious...)
2. Get it rolling with your google account (you can bypass this for now if you want to do it later, but you'll need it for market access.)
3. Enable USB debugging and follow the one click root process HERE.
4. If that doesn't work, let me know and I or someone else here will point you in the direction of the command method (which you can actually use with the files you download for the linked method above!)
5. After rooting, I install my purchased copy of Launcher Pro Plus. This alone with make the phone feel snappier and much more responsive, not to mention it will give you a completely customizable interface to make your phone the way YOU want it to be. It's fast and clean. You only have to buy it if you want their nifty widgets and the resizable feature.
6. Next, I install root explorer (another app worth every penny). This accomplishes two important tasks for you in a fairly non-invasive way. It quickly and painfully verifies if your root was successful or not. You'll get a message saying the one click way was a success when it's done, but you never know until root explorer or another root-requiring program happily announces it has been granted superuser access. The second task this accomplishes is now you can go in and de-bloat and partially de-bing. I did both at the same time. Just don't use search or browser until you have a suitable replacement installed if you de-bloat and de-bing first!
7. Immediately after step 5, I installed Dolphin HD browser, then the google enhanced search APK file, then Google Navigator. When you try to search, open a browser, or navigate, set the default to all your no google goodies, and you're set.
8. After all that, I do the clockwork mod (requires Odin).
9. Download the battery percentage tool found here to your SD card. Battery % should be a stock displayed item on EVERY PHONE FOREVER. I don't know a more effective means of communicating how much battery you have left than simply stating a percentage. Our minds are incredibly accustomed to dealing with percentage figures every day! 10% off this!! 25% off that!!! May contain up to 10% ethanol!! 50% of self made millionaires are high school dropouts!! Etcetera!! Etcetera!! (/rant)
10. Next, download the ZIP you want to flash to your SD card.
11. Install ROM manager (free) and reboot into CW recovery
12. From there you can install your battery meter, your custom kernels, and then reboot your phone.
13. Install SetCPU (configure to whatever settings tinkle your chimes)
14. Install AutoKiller (makes other task managers look silly)

Upvote 0
I think it can be messed up by doing and undoing the lagfix, whether in conjunction with a custom kernel or not.

Here's how I eventually got mine to work.

Undo lagfix (there's a folder you put in the voodoo folder on your SD card that will trigger it. Quite handy!)

Rest phone

Do a complete restore with Odin (all three files)

Then root, CWM, the usual, but do it in a particular order.

This is the workflow I typically have the most consistent and stable luck with while working with the Samsung Fascinate. I'm running mine now after setting things up in this order, and it's working ridiculously well. Stable, fast, lots of battery life. And I can do any boot animation I want. I even successfully changed my startup sound today. Make sure you start with a fresh Fascinate though, and with no traces of any lagfix. This is important.

What I posted on another thread:

Thanks but can you provide a little more detail.:D Seriously thanks a lot I think this will do it.

I did have the lagfix on but removed it guess that did it. Seems odd though they must read the file from somewhere else ?? weird. Well I don' think I'll go through all that right now but if I ever really screw it up I'll give it a try.

Thanks again for all the detail.

Upvote 0
some more compatible boot animations from the xda captivate forum

Captivate Boot Animations! - xda-developers

they all work but obviously only the plain android ones apply to us as the others are rom specific :cool:

d13 where are you :eek: we need a sticky, please
Yeah where is he? Haven't seen that slacker for a few days. Maybe he's working on that nextheme.zip :rolleyes: maybe not :(

**Confession I'm still using the pee droid even though I love seeing and hearing about new ones; just havent found one to pry me off of pee droid

Upvote 0
Yeah where is he? Haven't seen that slacker for a few days. Maybe he's working on that nextheme.zip :rolleyes: maybe not :(

**Confession I'm still using the pee droid even though I love seeing and hearing about new ones; just havent found one to pry me off of pee droid

yeah ive almost always used the spinning blue coin droid since it came out for the dx but i think i may leave the electric one on for awhile, im liking it.

its a little sad as some of the custom boots for the roms on the inc are freakin sick compared to stand alones usually though. the one on the new guy inc rom is (or was at the time) like a sketch cartoon of a fat kid running. and i have never tired to extract the bootanimation from a rom, although im sure it couldnt be that hard.

we need more!

Upvote 0
I don't know what gives with this phone but I can't get a boot animation to play for nut'en. The ROM one works and the one from a kernel works but when I put one in either system/media or local it still plays the old animation. Where the heck is it getting it from?

yeah, i really dont know why it works for me and not you :eek: theres gotta either be a quirk in your phone or something in there thats doing it...wish i could figure it out

Upvote 0
FYI it isn't just me. There seems to be a large group in the same boat. Weird

i got ya, i wasnt suggesting that you were the only one who it didnt work for, just its weird it works for one and not another on something so simple....usually voltage handling is something to expect differing phone to phone, not boot animations :thinking:.

hopefully at some point it gets sorted out

Upvote 0
i got ya, i wasnt suggesting that you were the only one who it didnt work for, just its weird it works for one and not another on something so simple....usually voltage handling is something to expect differing phone to phone, not boot animations :thinking:.

hopefully at some point it gets sorted out

I finally got it to work! I wonder if it will still work if I remove the kernel I have flashed?......Be right back

Upvote 0
which kernel did you finally get it to work with? and which kernels did you not have success with?

Hmmm hmmmm I don't know:D Wait its the one posted in irc right now non-voodoo version

But any kernel that claimed to have a boot animation always worked it was when I didn't have a customer kernel that it didn't work. And when I had the customer kernel animations (voodoo kernel) I still couldn't add my own. But with this one I was able to change the animation in Data/local and its working like it should, after I remove a bootanimation file I found in the system/media folder.

After thinking about it the voodoo kernel with animation didn't play an animations.... unless it was the stock one...which wouldn't make any sense.

going to try one of the ones you linked to above. thanks

Upvote 0
I continue to struggle with getting this to work and I am not sure why. I finally got daring and deleted the files that made up the samsung galaxy animation as well as the shutdown animation. Now all I see when I boot is the phone says SAMSUNG for a few seconds, then the screen goes black until the desktop comes up. I've tried every directory people have suggested to add the animation to. Nothing seems to work. Can anyone suggest a fix for those of us unable to get the animations to take?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones