1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Anyone have a GNex on Verizon w/o SMS MMS plan

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by EmJay13, Dec 19, 2011.

1. EmJay13

EmJay13 Newbie

I am considering going back to Verizon and buying the GNex. I would love to same some cash though and the MMS SMS plan is pretty spendy for what it is. I use Google Voice on my current GT-i9000 and am considering turning Voice on all the time on the new phone and then doing all my text messaging though that. I would be using data for text messaging instead of the plan. Is anyone doing this currently? Any complications?

Thanks, Mike

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Raftysworld

Raftysworld Well-Known Member

I do this, and there are no complications at all :) It works perfectly. However, GV is just beginning to support MMS and so if you switch to only using it, be aware. Also, sometimes data connections can be a little spottier than voice coverage and so text message notifications will be delayed. Nonetheless, there are so ridiculously many more benefits (getting texts in areas with wifi but no cell coverage, being able to text from the computer, text when your phone is lost, oh and did i mention saving 20 dollars a month for not having a texting plan?) that it is way more than worth it.

EmJay13 likes this.
  3. phatdub

phatdub Lurker

Im doing the same Saving some $$$ right there, make sure have "Receive text messages on this phone" turned off, or else you will get charged for text messages.

EmJay13 likes this.
  4. EmJay13

EmJay13 Newbie

AWESOME! (said in falsetto) I'm going to go talk to the big V (ha ha) tonight!

5. Dabitz

Dabitz Android Enthusiast

The only thing I don't like is that I can't text my sister in PR as PR is considered "international". Also, no picture messaging, but I can live with that.

6. soy.lor.n

soy.lor.n Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got them to turn off texting on my line when I picked up the phone. I use google voice/talk for messaging. I don't do too much MMS though so I don't know about that.

7. dshay

dshay Newbie

I do this as well, but there are some caveats. All automated texting services that I have found do not support GV texting -- so, for instance, you can't get airline text messages about delays on your GV number, or "special offers" for redbox, etc. Basically, my volume of these is low enough that I still save money by killing my $10/mo plan and just paying per message.

8. phatdub

phatdub Lurker

Can she get Google Talk or WhatsApp on her phone? My wife uses those two apps so she can talk to one of her close friends in Trinidad.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews