• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Anyone have a wonky Wifi?

I saw this behavior back in ICS and never figured out how to fix it... but it went away once I got to JB and I thought it might just be a bug in the driver somewhere that got fixed. But it reared its ugly head again over the weekend. I am at ME1, rooted, with the ICS aboot.

It has a few different behaviors... first, my wifi connection drops without any reason. I'll have a strong signal and *poof*, it disconnects. Looking at my Wifi screen, it no longer sees my router most of the time. If I toggle it, it'll see everything again and reconnect. Then once I drive some traffic through it, *poof* gone again.

Now, when this happens, I also notice that the wifi radio logo up top is somewhat stuck. It gets like frozen in time, the s/r lights never change, the signal strength is fixed, etc.

I've been looking through the logs, haven't really picked anything out yet, but I don't have a lot of seat time with the Android OS, so I don't have a feel for the log messages.

A Reboot usually clears it up, but it'll come back eventually. And the problem has always seemed exacerbated if I toggle Wifi a fair amount... which happens since I am using Tasker as a way to reduce battery life, and it'll disable Wifi if it disconnects and then toggle it every 15 mins to connect back if there is a known spot.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Or have any idea where to look or what to look for?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones