1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Anyone have recommendations on USB chargers or micro-USB charging cable for fast, "AC" charging?

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by wega1985, Sep 9, 2011.

1. wega1985

wega1985 Newbie

As many of us know, most of our phones demand more power than USB can provide, > 500 mA. However, many chargers aren't wired properly to allow "fast" AC charging of 1000 mA+.

For example, my HTC EVO 3D charges at the full 1A rate with the included AC adapter. You can verify this with the battery monitor app or Settings > About phone > Battery > Battery Status.

On most USB chargers I've found, however, this says "Charging (USB)" which is limited to 500 mA, too slow to keep up with GPS, and other demanding apps in most situations. Even if the charger is rated for 1A or higher, if not properly wired, the phone will only take 500 mA, the USB spec.

According to what I've found, for the phone to charge in AC mode, the data pins have to be shorted. Some people solved the issue by soldering the data pins on their own, but there has to be a better solution?

I tried the micro USB Charging Cable from Seidio, and even that is not wired correctly.

My OEM Palm Pre car charger works great, and is wired correctly for 1A charging, however it only accepts the included cable and I would like to charge more than one device at a time with something like this.

Advertisement

2. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

The HTC car charger C200 consists a car adapter with USB jack and a cable (USB to microUSB).
    The adapter has shortened data pins.
    The cable hasn't data leads and its data pins are shortened in the microUSB plug.

So with this cable you can use all USB chargers (when they are able to provide 1A) for charging a HTC phone with 1000mA ("AC") :)

EDIT: I use this cable with very compact generic car charger adapter which fit under my car's ashtray cover ;)

Harry

twoHats likes this.
  3. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert

In the car I use a 140W power inverter that to plug the wall charger in, to charge my phone. It works well and keeps the phone charged, even when using GPS and other programs.

twoHats likes this.
  4. VivaLaDroid

VivaLaDroid Newbie

I have one of thos inverters as well which i use for my laptop. I just remembered that there is also a usb charging port on my inverter. I wonder how much power its pumping.... I may be netter off using this usb port to charge my phone. Looks like i'll have to do some experimenting today :cool: