• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Anyone have simple instruction how to unroot and revert back to 1.5?

Why not just activate the phone to get this done? Also,

yeah I found the pb00img.zip

I am going to flash that and see what happens

okay I tried, but then it say main is older? Now what?

Are you sure that you downloaded the right pb00img.zip file? Did you check the MD5 to make sure that it is 1C0B0182356242A9D673A661E7458587 and the size of the file is 104MB (109,946,224 bytes) in size?

If you restart the phone in the bootloader, what is the HBOOT version?

Just checking.

Upvote 0
it says 1.5 I believe in the loader for hboot. Maybe I did grab the wrong one these. Mine is only 69mb zipped

It sounds like you tried to flash the wrong one - I have two links in the quote below. Follow the first to a link to download 2.1v3 (use the link in MIRROR2 - it seems to be the only one that is still active), delete the pb00img.com file on your SD card, replace it with that, and follow the instructions in the second link:

I'd try with the 2.1v3 leak ROM. See this thread to download and this for instructions.

Upvote 0
Having the same problems. I was on Kaos 33 but for some reason after 2-3 days I stopped receiving SMS messages. Tried some SMS solutions but none worked, tried a different rom but still no SMS. Now I'm back to 1.5 (used the downgrade.zip), unable to flash PB00IMG.zip because of Main is Older error. When 1.5 first loaded I was prompted to perform an update, the update downloaded, rebooted, and in the Android Recovery I got the error "No Signature, verification failed, installation aborted". Any thoughts? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Having the same problems. I was on Kaos 33 but for some reason after 2-3 days I stopped receiving SMS messages. Tried some SMS solutions but none worked, tried a different rom but still no SMS. Now I'm back to 1.5 (used the downgrade.zip), unable to flash PB00IMG.zip because of Main is Older error. When 1.5 first loaded I was prompted to perform an update, the update downloaded, rebooted, and in the Android Recovery I got the error "No Signature, verification failed, installation aborted". Any thoughts? :thinking:

agtwonderbread,

The "No Signature, verification failed, installation aborted" kind of sounds like a bad (incomplete) file was downloaded. Can you verify the file size and its MD5 checksum?

Try re-downloading the file (you might want to check the file sizes and checksums of both the old file and the new file to compare so that you will know if this was the issue or not).

Upvote 0
Im trying to unroot and i tried the technique androdized told us about in which i downloaded a version a retro v1 rom and everything seems stock but then he said to check the system updats and update it, the thing is ITS ALREADY UPDATED and except the menu now has an advanced google search bar thats blue and the appdrawer luks like the pandahome grey panel with the arrow on it. not to mention the menus look dark grey and the app store too. But when i choose to personalize a scene its says theres an error. Man how am I sure if Im back to stock because this track ball is blowing my mind with issues and i wanna get this phone replaced asap

Upvote 0
Im trying to unroot and i tried the technique androdized told us about in which i downloaded a version a retro v1 rom and everything seems stock but then he said to check the system updats and update it, the thing is ITS ALREADY UPDATED and except the menu now has an advanced google search bar thats blue and the appdrawer luks like the pandahome grey panel with the arrow on it. not to mention the menus look dark grey and the app store too. But when i choose to personalize a scene its says theres an error. Man how am I sure if Im back to stock because this track ball is blowing my mind with issues and i wanna get this phone replaced asap

cloudwalker,

Here's what you really want: [ROM][10/20/2010]FlashBack21 v1 -Return to Factory Stock - UPDATED - xda-developers

You won't see any OTA updates anymore since VZW/HTC is not pushing them out any longer. I remember a little bit about the ROM that Andrizoid discussed, but I'm not sure it was 100% "effective" (i.e., it doesn't take you completely back to stock). Here's the thread I think he was referencing: [ROM] Retro1 v2 - "Is it a Dream? No, it's a Freken Cupcake!" - xda-developers. As you can see, its a 1.5, rooted ROM (plus, you've still got the custom recovery installed)...so that's not really what you want.

But I can tell you that erisuser1's method (Flashback 2.1) cited above does the trick.

Check it out and good luck!

edit: plus, I see that Scotty85 already pointed you to this method a little while ago in the root subforum.

Upvote 0
I'm in a position where I wanna downgrade to 2.1 v3 that I had before I updated to kaosgingerbread-v6 as I can not mount my Eris as a drive as I did before... I have a Mac running OS 10.5.8... When I try to download the 2.1 v3 ROM or the kaosgingerbread-v8 ROM from the web browser, it says the download was not successful. Basically, I wanna go back the the Sense UI that 2.1 had and scrap the gingerbread ROM I installed. I did back up the phone to my iMac's hard drive before I installed kaosgingerbread-v6... Was also wondering where my apps that I've gotten off the Market in 2.1 v3 are stored and where my contacts are stored... Help would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
I'm in a position where I wanna downgrade to 2.1 v3 that I had before I updated to kaosgingerbread-v6 as I can not mount my Eris as a drive as I did before... I have a Mac running OS 10.5.8... When I try to download the 2.1 v3 ROM or the kaosgingerbread-v8 ROM from the web browser, it says the download was not successful. Basically, I wanna go back the the Sense UI that 2.1 had and scrap the gingerbread ROM I installed. I did back up the phone to my iMac's hard drive before I installed kaosgingerbread-v6... Was also wondering where my apps that I've gotten off the Market in 2.1 v3 are stored and where my contacts are stored... Help would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Did you run a Nandroid backup before you installed Kaos Gingerbread by any chance?

Also, I would suggest trying another USB cable to connect to your Mac, just to rule out the cable as being a problem. I have never had an issue connecting any installed ROM to my Mac.

If worse comes to worse, I'd suggest buying a micro SD card reader that will allow you to remove the SD card from your phone, attach it to the reader, attach the reader to your Mac, and copy the necessary files (I'd suggest the Flashback21 listed above) to the sd card. After reinstalling it to the phone, you can then start the phone in recovery and install Flashback21. If you cannot find a card reader anywhere else, I am fairly certain that you can find one at a Verizon Wireless store, or a Best Buy retail store.

Upvote 0
I did not do a Nandroid back up... I went made an exact copy of the drive that was created on my desktop... I did not "wipe and install" so I was surprised to find my photos still there... I will get another USB cable, but at the time I did the gingerbread install, the phone mounted as a drive correctly... My parents have an Intel iMac and that has a card slot...

Upvote 0
I did not do a Nandroid back up... I went made an exact copy of the drive that was created on my desktop... I did not "wipe and install" so I was surprised to find my photos still there... I will get another USB cable, but at the time I did the gingerbread install, the phone mounted as a drive correctly... My parents have an Intel iMac and that has a card slot...

Photos are always stored on the SD card. A data wipe that you do before installing a ROM actually wipes an area on internal storage, but does not wipe the data on the SD card at all - so, it's not surprising that your photos remained.

I have a different GB build installed right now, but when I connect a known-good USB cable to my Macbook, the phone gets a notification called "USB connected" when you pull the notification bar down. Tap that, and you get a screen with a large, green Android character and a button that says, "Turn on USB storage". When you tap that button, the phone dismounts the SD card and it is mounted as an external disk on the Mac, which you can see in the Finder.

If you do not see that "USB connected" notification, then something is not right.

Upvote 0
When it asked me if I wanted to do a data wipe, I said no and continued installing kaosgingerbread-v6

Will this work for kaosgingerbread-v6?

Howto: Revert back to 2.1(Eclair) from 2.2(FroYo)

PS are the apps stored in the internal memory or SD card?

Those are instructions for the Motorola Droid X. The Droid X and the Eris are completely different phones.

With very small exceptions, you should always data wipe when installing a different ROM. Always. ROMs that are different versions of Android in particular, or between the proprietary HTC apps on the stock Eris and vanilla Android - the data for internal apps is stored differently, and will almost surely cause problems when you try to access it.

By default, apps are always stored on internal memory. Froyo and Gingerbread provide a way to install some apps on the SD card, but the apps must be made to run off SD, and the default is to install internal - you have to do something to get apps on SD.

The very small exceptions I mentioned? Apparently, if you are moving from stock Eris to a ROM that is based on stock Eris, like PlainJane or xtrSENSE, you can get away without wiping data. Otherwise, you always need to wipe, and quite often when you are upgrading a ROM to a new version, the developer will tell you to wipe data first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones