1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Anyone having a hard time getting grandfathered in for unlimited data?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 92hatchattack, Nov 9, 2011.

1. 92hatchattack

92hatchattack Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 30, 2011
    So an AT&T manager just finished telling me that the only way to get grandfathered in for unlimited data is to buy another iPhone. WTF! You've gonna be kidding me. Someone please tell me this is bullshit and that there is a way around it All this time I've stuck with att only to get jerked around like this. Not cool.

Advertisement

2. Gertex

Gertex Newbie
    None

Nov 8, 2011
    That is incorrect.

I just got the phone keeping my line grandfathered in. My suggestion would be to go to another store.

3. realized

realized Newbie
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    I went from a iphone with unlimited data, to the SGS2s and they swapped the service for unlimited 4g data plan without problems, i didn't even have to ask.

as i was at the store and they did it all for me..

4. realized

realized Newbie
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    yeah it might not have been a corporate store, which apparently are known for ripping off customers.

5. jbsg02

jbsg02 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    The first generation iphone workaround to obtain the $30 unlimited smartphone personal should still work, I did it about 3 weeks ago to get unlimited data as a new subscriber

6. 92hatchattack

None

Sep 30, 2011
    My wife called the number on the phone bill I think and that's what they told her. How does it work if you are buying from best buy? Can you get grandfathered in from there or only an att store?

7. propsizzle

propsizzle Newbie
    None

Oct 31, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    i got my skyrocket from best buy. they asked if i wanted to keep my unlimited data. when they called AT&T to give them the new SIM information, etc., they specifically said the account should retain its unlimited plan.

8. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    Exactly...that manager does not know what they are doing..granted you may need to ask for a supervisor...ANYWHERE you buy the phone should be able to accomplish this

9. jslanger

jslanger Member
    None

Nov 4, 2011
    Surgery Resident
    Arlington, VA (Washington, DC)
    I just got my Skyrocket last night (I couldn't control the urge to buy it any longer!).

No problem at the store. I had talked to the AT&T store first to make sure that I had my unlimited plan (from an iPhone 3GS) and that it would be carried over. When I bought it they carried over all aspects of my phone including my (now discontinued) text plan. I was pretty darn pleased with the ease of purchase...

10. 92hatchattack

None

Sep 30, 2011
    Sounds good. Does anyone know what BB's exchange policy is? How long to I have to get a price adjustment or exchange if a better phone comes out? 14 days means I wait till thanksgiving. 30 days means I may come home with one today.

11. TheTurtleMan

TheTurtleMan Newbie
    None

Nov 6, 2011
    I think bb said 30days

I got
    My unlimited w no probs at all at bb. Only thing they had toturn on was the visual voicemail that didn't change any price.

12. Hermanator

Hermanator Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2011
    I kept my umlimited plan when purchasing at BB. When I had the ATT store confirm that I had the right SIM, I had him confirm that I had not lost the unlimited data plan too.

13. edshropshire

edshropshire Newbie
    None

Oct 15, 2011
    I asked BB about their return policy when I was considering a GS2. They said 30 days and currently no restocking fee. He also said they expect the phone to be returned in New condition. Sounded like their management really wants to discourage switching. Said they strongly discourage switching.

I have unlimited data and an iphone and said no problem keeping the plan if I switch. I am still very undecided. I may move to Verizon with their current Double Data promotion. Verizon has LTE in my area and the speed is fantastic. AT&T still does not even have HSPA+ and LTE is probably years away. I think 4 GB will probably be all I need considering my mix of wifi usage.

14. 92hatchattack

None

Sep 30, 2011
    Hey guys.. all is good here. I got to retain my current plan and I am happy. I have confession the make though.... I went with the Vivid. While the skyrocket had better contrast and deeper colors the Vidvid seemed to win out in resolution and truer whites.

Ok, to be real honest...I am short on funds and the $99 price tag was too hard to pass up. Yes, BB price matched as the $100 off promotion is in effect in my area. I also went with the buy back program. Since i got their $10 a month warranty they sold it to me for $30. The value of selling back to them in 19 months when I am ready for my next upgrade is $130........ in the long run, it seems as if this phone will have cost me $7 in tax!

Thanks for all the help guys!

15. jbsg02

jbsg02 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Should be a great phone as well. Please report back on battery life/speed etc.