1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Anyone having issues with random reboots/ freezing?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AmyG89, Jun 17, 2011.

1. AmyG89

AmyG89 Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    I've only had the Optimus M since Sunday but it has randomly either froze up or rebooted 3 times. Last night I was installing Facebook for Mobile and the application kept freezing up and giving me that revolving wheel like it's loading and then my phone completely rebooted itself.

I called Metro PCS to tell them about the random reboots and freezing 2 days after I got the phone and he told me to download Advanced Task Killer to kill all the apps. He said the phone gets overloaded with things running that it will freeze/ reboot.

I'm having a hard time accepting that this will continue to happen and would like to know if anyone else has this issue, if there is a solution, or if I should return the phone?

Advertisement

2. jabbawest

jabbawest Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Level III Support Dallas County
    Fountain of Lamneth
    That's crap. No one at MetroPCS should have told you to install a third party app to fix a known issue with this particular phone.
    Take it to a corporate store and be prepared to have them do a hard reset, pat you on the head and tell you to come back if the problem persist.
    You can be insistent and kindly demand they simply give you a new phone without the reset, which will probably be a refurb, but be prepared to be kindly insistent.
    Then check the phone before excepting it. You don't want a refurb, so check all the buttons for the protective covers. Usually, refurbs will not have these.

Some phones, including my wife's, had this issue fixed by rooting and installing a new ROM but I will not suggest doing that because I don't want anyone mad at me if it fails to fix the problem.

3. sourcecode

sourcecode Lurker
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    Do you have any third party apps installed? I haven't had my phone for that long but it did this after I installed something on it. After I removed it all is well. HTH!

4. teh_dude

teh_dude Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Full time student at UT Arlington, in middle of BS
    Arlington/Denton, TX
    Corporate stores seem to be the better option typically with Metro. In my experience, non-corporate stores not only fail to help you with warranty issues because they're not authorized, but for some reason don't always know what "Customer Service" means. The phone I was using before becoming an android nut was having a problem where the camera would start erroring out if I tried to take a high-res picture--it would only work on the lowest resolution. Generally a reset of sorts fixed this problem, but before I could find that out at a corporate store, a girl at a regular store asked to see my phone, took a random pic at low res, showed me the screen, and asked, "Isn't that good enough?" I couldn't believe my ears, and she found out very quickly how convincing I can be without cursing her out.

5. RogerHunt

RogerHunt Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Taking care of special snowflakes
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Amy - my first problem was that it lost it's mac address and ability to connect to wi-fi. A hard reset managed to fix it - although I lost 2 paid apps.

Then last weekend the the phone froze and rebooted itself at least 9 times in the space of an hour - and all I was doing was checking email. I un-installed all 3rd party apps (and did a hard reset - but it didn't cure it). So then I went to a corp store and after a long conversation, they ordered me a replacement phone (which still isn't in - 7 days later). My wife has the exact same phone - hers has no problems at all - and she has way more shopping apps alone than I had apps. You may just have a dud, like me.

6. AmyG89

AmyG89 Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    Thank you everyone. Just an update. I brought the phone back to the authorized dealer that I bought it from yesterday because it rebooted itself 3 times in the course of 2 hours. I walked in and explained the situation and he gave me a brand new phone. I made sure it was a new phone and not a refurbished phone. He didn't give me any hassle and it was a pretty painless process. So far the new phone works great, no issues yet. I hope it continues. When I was leaving he said to make sure I put advanced task killer back on, but I'm assuming from this thread that I shouldn't listen to him?

7. teh_dude

None

Jun 13, 2011
    Arlington/Denton, TX
    I quit using a task killer, and I'm not having any problems. I don't think I ever had reboot problems before I overclocked, either. You should be able to run that phone fine without a task killer. A metro pcs employee is not the be-all end-all of android knowledge. In fact, his knowledge is likely miniscule and largely insignificant when it comes to this lol.

8. jesusjdm89

jesusjdm89 Lurker
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    i just got my phone today and it has allready turned of on my 2 times in a couple of hours of use should i go return it

9. teh_dude

None

Jun 13, 2011
    Arlington/Denton, TX
    do you mean it entirely turned off on you? are you sure the screen didn't just turn off due to inactivity? did the phone restart itself? please be more specific.

10. jesusjdm89

jesusjdm89 Lurker
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    yes the phone restarted on me while i was on the app store and the other time i was writting a email both times just restarted

11. jabbawest

jabbawest Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Level III Support Dallas County
    Fountain of Lamneth
    Take it back.

12. nicktheqwik

nicktheqwik Newbie
    None

Jul 1, 2011
    Sales
    DFW, Texas
    I had this same problem. Phone would randomly power down and restart especially when I would put it on the charger. Apps would constantly stop unexpectedly. I couldnt figure out what the deal was with this. i went andbought another phone from Metro and havent seen it since.

13. teh_dude

None

Jun 13, 2011
    Arlington/Denton, TX
    you bought another phone? why didn't you try to warranty the first one you paid for?

Tags: