• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone having major issues with Google Voice calls since it was merged with hangouts?

spinedoc

Nov 1, 2010
I have GV setup on my Note 3 to make ALL of my phone calls. It's been that way for a year and has functioned flawlessly. I place a call on my phone and it connects through GV with very little delay, maybe a second or 2, and otherwise a perfect call.
Fast forward to Google Voice being integrated into Hangouts. Now you can opt to receive SMS and GV Voicemail in Hangouts. You can also dial out straight through Hangouts, but this is VOIP and not going through your carrier like the old GV app functioned. So I set my SMS and GV voicemail to go through Hangouts, but I noticed some VERY weird behavior.
Now when I go to make a call NOT from hangouts but from my regular Android dialer I get stuck on a screen saying "Calling via Google Voice" with a spinning dial for literally minutes (see first picture). After a minute or two the call fails and it says "Google Voice could not connect"(see 2nd picture). After that I retry and most of the time the 2nd calls goes through although it still takes a long time, sometimes it does fail a 2nd time though.
Since then I've uninstalled the Hangouts dialer and turned off SMS/GV voicemail inside hangouts. But the same exact behavior persists. I'm so bummed as I rely on GV every single day for every single call I make. I can only assume either 1) there was some kind of network change that makes calling less reliable or 2) somehow my GV is stuck using VOIP instead of calling through my carrier.
Anyhow anyone else getting this? I'm about to uninstall hangouts but I have a lot of SMS in there that I need to backup. I guess I will probably end up going back to a titanium backup and see if that works.

Attachments

• 20141009_163810_Android.jpg
    20141009_163810_Android.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20141009_163825_Android.jpg
    20141009_163825_Android.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 56
I merged GV with HO's but never installed the dialer or used HO's for calls. I just separated them back out because HO's is not ready for prime time GV integration for the way I want to use it. That being said, I've not had any issues with using GV to make cell calls.

Have you cleared cache/data? Sign out and sign back in? For both I guess, HO and GV. Seems like something did get 'stuck'.

Reactions: spinedoc
Upvote 0
I merged GV with HO's but never installed the dialer or used HO's for calls. I just separated them back out because HO's is not ready for prime time GV integration for the way I want to use it. That being said, I've not had any issues with using GV to make cell calls.

Have you cleared cache/data? Sign out and sign back in? For both I guess, HO and GV. Seems like something did get 'stuck'.

Thanks I'll give it a shot. I know where to clear cache/data and how to sign out of hangouts, but I don't see where I can sign out of the GV app.

Edit: Cache/data, signing out of hangouts not fixing it. Going to try to uninstall GV app and reinstall.

Upvote 0
Everything on the phone. Go to settings/apps/downloaded/GV. Clear cache and then data. That may sign you out, I don't recall. Either way, go into the GV app like usual and sign in or go to settings there and sign out. You shouldn't lose any texts/vm and it should reset itself.

Thank you!! Cleared cache/data and it signed me out of the GV app, not I can't sign back in, sigh. Getting an error: "Couldn't sign in. There was a problem communicating with Google servers. Try again later."

Well hopefully I'm getting closer...

Upvote 0
:congrats:
Oh dear.
The only other thing I can suggest is to uninstall/reinstall the GV app.
I honestly rarely have trouble with it but my sister sometimes does.

You are awesome! I was able to sign in by clearing GV cache/data again. Now it seems my GV calls are connecting instantly again. Hopefully it stays like that. Thanks so much.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones