1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Anyone having problems with Titanium syncing to Dropbox

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by A.Nonymous, Apr 19, 2011.

1. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Is anyone else running into problems with TB syncing with DropBox lately? I've had this problem for a while with TB FC'ing when I try to sync to DropBox, but just recently had a few minutes to actually sit down and try to troubleshoot it. Basically, here are the symptoms:

1. TB will back up everything just fine and scheduled backups run normally.
    2. TB will sync everything to DropBox normally with no issues...until it hits the limit I've set of 5 backups per app.
    3. Once it does hit that limit, it will enumerate the apps on my phone with no problem and then will fail the moment it goes to "scanning Dropbox target". Then I get a message that the sync to DropBox has failed.
    4. If I hit the Sync to DropBox button again at that point, DropBox will FC on me.

I had thought that this behavior might have been because of the ROM I was using. I've now re-created this on three different ROMS though. Virtuous, Nils Business and Warm Z all have the same problem. If I go into my Dropbox account on my computer and delete all the files in the Titanium directory, it works just fine again until it hits that 5 backup limit. Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. CheezWiz

CheezWiz Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    IT Crowd
    Middle TN
    Actually, I am having the problem that no backups complete OR dropbox sync once a backup limit is reached. I have sent bug reports to every email I can find associated to TB and had posted on their "official" support forums that were just shut down this week.

Seems TB has an issue with deleting old backups from the SD card. There was a lengthy discussion on the matter at the previously mentioned, no longer in-service forums.

Try raising your backup limit to 10 and see what happens...

3. A.Nonymous

None

Jun 7, 2010
    I also had an issue with backup once the limit was reached, but thought it was just a weird fluke. One minute it worked and the next minute it didn't. I ran Fix Permissions and that didn't affect it. I don't think the size of the limit is the issue as I did have it at 15 which is probably why I didn't notice the problem for some time. I got the email from them that they were shutting down their forums so I had no idea where else to turn.

4. CheezWiz

None

Mar 24, 2010
    IT Crowd
    Middle TN
    I think the only outlet we have is a one star review on the market. I will explain that I am revising my review due to new bugs and complete lack of support structure.. If they fix it, I can always go back and revise it up again.

5. NSF12345

NSF12345 Lurker
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    Iv been having similar issues on my Nexus S (with CM7)

It appears to get through the first stages fine, but when it comes to "Uploaded to Dropbox", it sits on 0% for a couple of minutes before it simply fails.

Iv not had chance to do much investigations, but I tried removing the TitaniumBackup folder on Dropbox, and altering the Dropbox "History coverage" limit, even though that I have already set the "Max backup history" to 1. It re-creates the folder fine, it just doesn't upload.

This all works fine on my GF's HTC Desire (again, using CM7)

Any ideas would be great

6. A.Nonymous

None

Jun 7, 2010
    After doing more testing, it looked like it was going to work on my Nook Color. It would start to upload, then fail. Second or third time I tried to upload though it seemed to work partially, but would then fail. I went from 15 backups to 5 and it deleted my older backups without any issues. Sure enough does not work on my Incredible though.

Very frustrating. This app used to work and was amazing. Now it can't upload to Dropbox and also can't backup up sometimes.

I'm experimenting with the "failsafe code" now.

7. NSF12345

NSF12345 Lurker
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    on the flip side, I randomly deleted TitaniumBackup on Dropbox (again) tried to sync today, and it worked!

424 files
    122MB

It was slow (took best part of 90 minutes), and it did appear to get stuck every now and then making me think it would fail but it was over the phones data, and had alot of files so not really surprised.

This was done using TB's Dropbox code

im going to make another backup and see if it is ok overwriting the data already there now - will keep posted

**update**

When i did another set of backups, it "cleaned" the dropbox (could see it on PC deleting files anc creating some) but then it still failed on 0% - told it to sync again and went through fine

appears to be able to delete the ones it wants to replace, then fails. Then when you want to run it again it updates fine, as long as there is nothing to delete first

8. A.Nonymous

None

Jun 7, 2010
    You had more success than I did. I started tweaking what was synced. Instead of having it sync everything, I had it sync just one back up (I was backing up 5 copies). That succeeded. I changed it to two. That succeeded. I got over excited and changed it to 25. That failed at "Scanning Dropbox", but didn't FC. I changed it to three. That also failed. The most I've been able to sync is 2 copies which is ridiculous considering I paid for this app. Also, when I try to verify my backups, I get errors as well and if I manually tell it to back up all apps and system data, that never works out well for me either.

9. A.Nonymous

None

Jun 7, 2010
    I along with several other people on here were having major issues with TB recently. Couldn't run backups. Couldn't upload to Dropbox. App was basically useless. Apparently that is now fixed. An update just came up in the market and it claimed to fix a memory leak issue. I can vouch for the fact that I could not sync with Dropbox, but now can without any problems. It may be that Titanium has finally fixed this issue. Love to see if it works for other people now or if I'm just one of the fortunate ones.

10. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    That is a good news. I just updated TB this morning.
    Anyway, I don't sync it with Dropbox, and the backups worked for me always.

11. A.Nonymous

None

Jun 7, 2010
    I got overly excited. :( It started syncing, cleaned out the old files on DropBox, uploaded a few MB, then failed. Every time I sync it does the same thing. Works on my Tab. Doesn't work on my DInc.

I sync with DropBox so I will have an off site backup. That way if I drop my phone off a bridge or something I'm not totally SOL.

12. CheezWiz

None

Mar 24, 2010
    IT Crowd
    Middle TN
    I got an email from the developer on Monday with a beta attached. I assume it was the same version that was released to the market this morning. So far, for me it has solved the crashing during batch backup operations. I am still testing the dropbox sync..

13. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Keep us posted, please...

14. CheezWiz

None

Mar 24, 2010
    IT Crowd
    Middle TN
    Dropbox Sync is now working for me.. Just did approximately a 380MB upload. It failed on first try over a spotty 3G connection, but finished up the last 156MB fine on wifi.

This is showing version 3.7.6.1
    The market is showing 3.7.7.1

I am afraid to upgrade...

15. CheezWiz

None

Mar 24, 2010
    IT Crowd
    Middle TN
    3.7.7.1 is working fine for me. Automatic batch operations and DropBox sync. If DB fails on 3g, you can not blame TB. Try it over wifi...

16. A.Nonymous

None

Jun 7, 2010
    Upload sort of works for me. It uploads 2-3 mb, then dies every single time. This is over wifi or 3G. This is on my DInc. On my Tab, it does work fine.

17. Tre Lawrence

None

May 24, 2010
    Will try in the morning.

18. Tre Lawrence

None

May 24, 2010
    Failed... hmmm...

19. techmanc

techmanc Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 13, 2013
    Male
    Long story short in case anyone still interested in this problem with TB with syncing to dropbox from what I found out atm.
    The files that you backup with TB using a regular backup to your device SD are used to copy to dropbox. When I tried syncing to dropbox with TB it was same same file and it found no errors. Now the other cool part I tried was copying backup to my PC and then moving it to dropbox. Dont try syncing file from PC or then its slow to get file to dropbox due to syncing being slow even with my 15/5 MB FIOS connection. I did file compares and only all file were good. If I find a way or anyone knows how to speed up with dropbox let us know So now I have one copy of my TB backups on my PC, dropbox and my SD card so pretty well protected. If your using PC to sync files it will help to go the bandwidth tab and use the use the "Limit To" setting. I made mine 4000KB which max for my with my 5MB upload connection. Even then it not uploading more than 800kb still better than the 500kb it was doing before the tweak.

I used 1000kb equaling to 1mb to figure out how much bandwidth to fill in pretty close to what I read on web to use for conversion.

Sorry for the long post I coulda went on forever and that as short and sweet an answer I could give on problem. Let me know if If any questions will answer when I can.;)

20. thevmax

thevmax Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2015
    Male
    I realize that I am replying to a post over 6 months old. I have successfully used Dropbox with an Iphone 5 64GB to backup and it would usually take less than 5 minutes to backup 20GB. NOW with an LG G2 running Android KitKat 4.4, WiFi, and Titanium Backup, it is going to take over an hour to backup 14GB? I don't understand the lag. (Actually the backup is only 1.25GB so that makes the time factor even worse!)

#20 thevmax, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  21. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Is Titanium compressing the backup? That will take some time, although it obviously greatly reduces the upload time.

22. thevmax

thevmax Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2015
    Male
    Yes, using average backup algorithim selected by Titanium. Time used was over 3 hours for the 1.25GB.