• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone having trouble with the Market tonight?

Hoosiermama

Nov 24, 2010
I have 3 apps that have an update. But I keep getting a generic error "Update for 'appname' could not be downloaded due to an error."

I've tried clearing the cache for the Market, and that didn't help. Google's help says to unmount and remount the SD card, which I also did, and that didn't help.

DH's phone has the old market, and things are downloading to his phone fine, so I'm not sure if it's my phone or the new market.

Thanks!

Still down for me. Called Verizon, and they had me do all the things I had already tried. My market account even looks screwy with 3 unnamed phones (I've only owned 2 smart phones).

She had me do a hard reset, which I was reluctant to do. Even that didn't work...nothing happened, so now I am wondering if it is my phone.

Ugh. Am sending back DH's original phone he's had since May (different phone) that suddenly became unresponsive, and now they're replacing my D3.

Technology hates me.;)

Upvote 0
I've cleared cache in download manager and market, uninstalled the market update, done numerous reboots and battery pulls.

After uninstalling the market update, now it appears that things download (I no longer get an error), but I no longer get the "app installed" notification, and the app never appears on the device. This happens whether I use the online market or the market on the phone.

Getting frustrated!

Upvote 0
Did you clear data as well as cache? Or was the clear data button greyed out?

I cleared both, and cleared the download manager. My fear is that even if I replace the phone (Verizon is sending out a replacement because it won't do a hard reset from settings), I'm going to have the same issues...except with NO apps on the phone because nothing will download. I'm afraid it's an issue with my Market account.

Google has elevated the issue to Tier 2, so I guess I'll see what happens with that in the next few days.

There are 3 phones listed in my Market account. Two "unnamed" phones and one named "phone". I think the second unnamed phone is actually my D1, which we had to activate to replace DH's smart phone when it quit working. Yet activity shows as recently as 9/3 on that one, so I'm wondering if it's "confused" with that phone in there.

I think I'm toxic to phones! :eek::D

Upvote 0
Nah, nobody is toxic to phones.. wait, forgot about my wife. :D

Anyway, I would not worry about Android Market problems migrating to a new phone unless your Google/Gmail account is unsettled for some reason. Sometimes a forgotten old Gmail account will get in the way of validation of downloads.

I'd sit down and try to remember every account and remove all old ones other than the primary one you need. I had that issue with an account I started a while back to join a Blackberry forum, prior to my Android wising up days. ;)

Upvote 0
Nah, nobody is toxic to phones.. wait, forgot about my wife. :D

Anyway, I would not worry about Android Market problems migrating to a new phone unless your Google/Gmail account is unsettled for some reason. Sometimes a forgotten old Gmail account will get in the way of validation of downloads.

I'd sit down and try to remember every account and remove all old ones other than the primary one you need. I had that issue with an account I started a while back to join a Blackberry forum, prior to my Android wising up days. ;)

Hah on no one being toxic to phones...I'm toxic to all computerized devices I think. My computer at work is being replaced this week because it's dying (on it's third replacement hard drive!)

I've only had one GMail account, and that's the account associated with the phone...so I'll give it a few more days, see if Tier 2 gets back to me, and then try the new phone if it's still an issue.

I'm starting to think it's the phone since it won't do a hard reset either. Like I said, my BIG fear is getting the new phone all set up, and then nothing will download from the Market...and there are a few apps that I depend on daily.

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
Will do...I have been impressed at how quickly Google got back to me (within 20 minutes of my first email), and how quickly Verizon escalated the issue.

Oh wow.. pretty impressive service. I think the carrier competition is showing itself when I hear about good fast service like that. Hopefully they'll satisfy the issues right away.

Android Market is a strange environment as it is. lol .. it's thousands and thousands of devs trying to work with a huge corporation, just to get their stuff to our phones, free or paid. Quite an endeavor.. glitches will come about. ;)

Upvote 0
Well, in desperation, and since Verizon was going to send me a replacement phone (at which point I'd be replacing everything anyway), I decided to see if the hard reset would work. It still wouldn't work thru the Settings menu, but I used the "keyboard method" and did the hard reset. I've begun downloading my apps one by one (leaving off ones that I no longer want), and was able to download a new app from the market, too.

The phone is behaving normally now, and downloading and installing apps fine.

Now to get it back to "my phone"!

Thanks for the help here! I've called Verizon and will be returning the replacement phone, and emailed Brit at the Google Market Support Team for her help, too.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
I'd been having trouble getting certain apps to display their update/uninstall pages in the Market for about a week, then occsionally the Market itself failed to load, finally it wouldn't load at all.

More bad signs, I'd been putting up with:
One particular app (which was installed), kept showing up at the bottom of the My Apps screen under the heading, "Not Installed."
Some of the "Allow Automatic Updates" checkboxes (ALL of which I'd meticulously checked), randomly unchecked themselves.

These were probably database errors.

Menu --> Manage Apps --> Market --> Clear Data
fixed it for me, without a factory reset. Although, I did try clearing the whole cache, beforehand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones