1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Anyone here move across carriers from the EVO to the to the Thunderbolt??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Arms_Reach, May 29, 2011.

1. Arms_Reach

Arms_Reach Member
    None

Apr 25, 2011
    Virginia, USA
    In switching jobs I am being offered any phone I choose as long as it is on the the Verizon network. It seems that my choice is between the Thunderbolt and the Charge. I have been very impressed with my first smartphone, the HTC EVO, and it looks like the Thunderbolt is HTC's equivalent for Verizon. It actually has a couple better features such as wireless B/G/N (EVO=wireless B/G), internal memory 1.5 GB (EVO=1 GB). They both have a kickstand, which I appreciate, while the Charge does not.

Now, the Charge has 2 GB internal memory (Thunderbolt=1.5) and Bluetooth 3.0 (Thunderbolt=2.1). Otherwise, the specs match.

That being said, HTC loyalty and consumer morale seems to be much better for HTC than with Samsung. I will confess to being a fanboy of HTC, but I don't want to make a foolish decision.

I'd like to get your guys general feelings/opinions about this decision..

Thanks!

UPDATED QUESTION 05-31-11:
    I've heard some of the frustrations that have been observed,
    If you had it to do over again, would you get the Bolt or the Charge?

p.s. I'm still leaning toward HTC...

Advertisement

2. Little Green Robot

Little Green Robot Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    While I do like my bolt, you should be aware that many bolts have been having tons of problems. Random reboots, network handoff issues, GPS lock issues, and of course horrible battery life. Sense and a kickstand are not worth the issues it brings.

3. TCM

TCM Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 1, 2011
  4. OhioGuy89

OhioGuy89 Member
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    Male
    Ohio
    I switched from the EVO to the TB b/c I moved, and where I moved didn't get Sprint service.

I would not say "that many bolts have been having tons of problems." The only problem I have seen is random reboots, which is MAYBE once a week, if that. I have no idea what network handoff issues are, so I haven't faced them. I have not had a problem w/ my GPS. And the battery life, you jsut have to figure out how to deal with it. It's not a big deal having to charge your phone once a day.

5. Arms_Reach

Arms_Reach Member
    None

Apr 25, 2011
    Virginia, USA
    Wow, these aren't the responses I was expecting..

Battery life on the EVO is nothing to brag about. It is probably the biggest complaint. I bought the 3500mah battery and can go easily a day with all services turned on, use it as a GPS, drown in phone calls, etc.

This random reboot thing, that has me concerned. I am the hub of phone and email for this company I joined. Often, between consultants, crews and customers I have both office lines tied, plus the mobile..

Thanks for the honest feedback, although I'm kinda bummed about hearing it.

6. TCM

TCM Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 1, 2011
    The random reboot issue seems to affect each phone differently. Mine is about once every two days, but other say several times a day. Supposedly there is going to be an OTA update to fix the random reboots in the next few weeks, but no hard date, so it could be next month for all we know.

A good friend of mine has an Evo and the battery life seems comparable to the Thunderbolt. We both agree that the Verizon 4G availability and speed completely own Sprint's 4G.

7. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Banking
    Milwaukee
    I think the reboot issue has been blown WAY out of proportion..

Reading this forum you'd think every Tbolt has this issue when in reality its probably a very small percentage. That percentage is obviously going to be much louder of course..

I've ran the newest radio for a month before it was officially pushed as an OTA, including the Gingerbread leak for a couple days, and never had a single reboot, now back to the OTA version and still not a single issue. I'd say that's more typical than what an outsider would think reading this forum the first time.

I know that's not really what you were asking, but it seems no thread is complete without someone bringing up how terrible all the reboot issues are..

Anyway, I'd go with the TBolt, the Charge is overpriced and feels cheap in the hands. Id expect the Tbolt will have GB within the next month or so. Samsung.. who knows.

McLabia likes this.
  8. HTCThunderbolt

None

Feb 20, 2011
    Need one :(
    Concord NC
    What ever you do do NOT get the charge. Way more problems. My cousin had it (now has a TB).. The only good thing about it is the screen. Also don't get the Lg either. It's bloated with bing.

9. HookEmHorns*UT*

HookEmHorns*UT* Well-Known Member
    None

May 14, 2010
    Industrial HVAC (Water Cooled)
    ATL, GA
    Honestly the TB is not that bad. There will be an update soon to fix the reboot issues but then again it is not effecting all of them. Mine has been fine.

I would say that the TB is a good choice. It has been an excellent phone for me and I trust it will be good for you also. Just give it a try.

10. gvillager

gvillager Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    NYC
    I just have problems with the GPS. Other then that the phone is perfect with no reboots. I live in a 4G area, my phone has been unplugged for 15 hours 35 mins and I still have 35% of my battery left.

11. 97'es

97'es Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 19, 2010
    Im on number 5 so far for issues ranging from 2 power buttons (one inoperable on delivery no joke) to no gps lock to horrendous speakerphone echo to reboots 5 times a day. They all leak light to varying degrees I don't nit pick that intensely.... every one has had different idiosyncrasies good or bad... eg. better 3g signal or gps lock times etc.

The QC guys are sleeping but I finally have a good one. Verizon finally let me go to a corporate store upon their suggestion and open every new thunderbolt they had (8), (I thought the manager was gonna reach over the counter and strangle me after some higher up on the phone told him to do it, until the other manager came over with his tbolt and admitted he went through three) and anyway three of eight had power buttons I would consider ok aka might last a year.

Anyway I finally have a fully functioning phone I do love besides the battery.... If i would have been returning for light leakage or small bs I still wouldn't have a phone... and i didn't care for the charge personally besides the georgous screen. I have had several samsung dumb phones and they were wonderful but not the charge wasn't for me... btw no update and I still get a reboot every couple days.

12. vnyislesv

vnyislesv Well-Known Member
    None

May 11, 2010
    I disagree, I think all LG cell phones are a complete waste and the battery isn't "that" bad with the TB. Some phones are better but none are good...

The ONLY problem with the Thunderbolt is the post update "reboot"... which they're fixing any day now.

13. grossie

grossie Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    I had a dead front facing camera on my first one, but I got a replacement and it's fine. I have had about 2 random reboots in the 6 or so weeks since I got this phone. The battery is what it is, and other than that I love this phone. I would however make sure to own insurance on it, it seems worthwhile.

14. infinite012

infinite012 Newbie
    None

May 27, 2011
    I love my Thunderbolt. It's my first smartphone and, although I may have rushed to get it, I don't regret it one bit. I did the OTA update and had only 1 reboot (during the update process) and it's been solid ever since.

The battery issue doesn't concern me much anymore since I got a spare standard battery from Verizon for $10 shipped. I also tested out how long I could go from full charge to yellow battery indicator and it took about 1.5 days to get there with medium-heavy use (settings, marketplace, forums, internet, and maybe 30 minutes of light browsing on my laptop through the Mobile Hotspot). Granted I wasn't making any calls, nor do I live in an area with 4G LTE signal, but I'd say it's pretty decent.

My LG Versa could last a day or a week. Depends significantly on what you're doing with the phone.

15. Whatstreet

Whatstreet Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Fremont, CA
    I like my Thunderbolt. I do not have the reboot problem. I do like to initiate a reboot every couple of days because I don't trust the apps.

My main issue is that the battery is too small. Everyone I know who has a smart phone complains about battery life though.

Posted with my Thunderbolt.

16. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I love mine I've had 2 random reboots so it isn't an issue for me. I've had both the original droid and droid 2 global and my battery life isn't that bad compared to those. I'm h heavy user and haven't had a phone that lasted an entire day on a charge for years

17. Arms_Reach

Arms_Reach Member
    None

Apr 25, 2011
    Virginia, USA
    Thanks for the responses. I am better informed and am taking all of this into consideration.

I'd especially like to hear from some of you that have voiced your frustrations above, as I ask:
    If you had it to do over again, what would you choose, the Thunderbolt or the Charge?

Thanks again.

18. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG

Thunderbolt hands down, I personally don't like the way the charge looks, the lg phone looks good as well but I've had too many bad experiences with lg in the past

19. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Banking
    Milwaukee
    Any thought to the revolution?

Basically a Thunderbolt with a few tweaks.. Same guts.

20. Arms_Reach

Arms_Reach Member
    None

Apr 25, 2011
    Virginia, USA
    Ya know? I'm on the fence with LG in general.. A while back, while shopping for and researching TV's, I read about how they were producing the best/fastest chip sets in the business. Actually, Sony and Samsung were using them only in their top line units. The catch is, they didn't use them in any of their own products. The reason behind that is that they aren't competing in that price point.

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but something about that ethic, even if it doesn't roll over in this sense, just rubs me wrong. I'm willing to pay top dollar to a company that puts their all into a product and stands behind it. They just kinda fell of my radar after hearing that.

21. eal

eal Newbie
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    tried TB, liked but batt dies @5, GPS 4-5 minute locate. Tried INC2 no service in house (was true with older INC) . On to Charge, poor 3g radio, reception ok (does operate some what in house), poor ear speaker, Batt a little better, screen can be seen in full sun very sweet. Thinking about TB w/big batt. My old Droid 1 is faster on wifi than Charge is , weird. Touch wiz is ok, charge has built in task mgr. and radio controls, sweet. Other none hardwired task mgrs poll and actually use batt power to manage! Charge feels better holding than TB IMO, but since I am going to have to get a bigger batt for any of these 3 LTE phones I thinking I like the kickstand and good 3g coverage from TB. going to miss seeing the screen in the sun though! I am in 3g only areas.

22. Mallissa

Mallissa Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Female
    OH
    I would say TB hands down. Some have experienced very minor issues, and for others it's a major problem. Myself, I have had 4 replacement TB's for various hardware/cosmetic issues. While I was experiencing the reboot, it was a huge problem for me so I went on Tues and got the LG Revolution . Weeeell, let me just say, that bad boy went back last night and I got my TB back. I had it for 1 day, and there is no way I could use that thing. The screen was not as responsive as the TB, and the general overall experience with the UI was that it was essentially a dumb smartphone. LOL (Now keep in mind, I said IT was, not people who buy it.) The battery was horrendous, as there is no way to turn off 4G without a reboot. I would say go for the TB, but understand jumping in that it does have (for some) some unresolved issues. Battery life isn't that bad, with a few tweaks (I can get up to 10 hours with moderate use,4G off as I don't have it just yet in my area.) , screen is awesome, and the general flow of the UI is great. I have no opinion one way or the other about the Charge. It didn't strike my fancy, but can't put my finger on exactly why. JMO

23. skinien

skinien Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    I've had an iPhone, a Galaxy S, an Atrix, and a Thunderbolt. The TB is the best phone I've ever owned, hands down.

24. project.in.process

project.in.process Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Production Engineer
    Charlotte, NC
    from Evo to Thunderbolt--

definitely worth it.

don't even think, just do.
    lte, 32gb card, processor, upgraded sense

reboots suck, but ways around it.
    Root it & don't look back.