• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone here planning on buying a HTC Magic?

Hell yeah we did, haha! I didn't even realise. Yeah, the good lady wife has a Sony Ericsson, and it is a nice phone. I have gone off Nokia's recently too, they seem poo nowadays.

Back on topic...the magic is appealing to me more and more by the day though. And when reading up about Android, the vast majority speak very highly of the OS.

Upvote 0
Yeah...

I'm trying to convince my friend to get the Magic as his new phone....

He wanted to get the iPhone (the soon to be old one) free on contract with O2 (because that's who he's with...)

But the Magic is cheaper and a better option (in my opinion) and I'm trying to convince him to get that instead...

I'm kinda getting there... XD

He's not too keen on switching networks though...

Upvote 0
It seems interesting that most people's attitudes here are lukewarm at best to the G2, even the Android/G1 fans.

Flop or not? What's your predicition?

I think it will do well- it's a prettier phone and the data plans are the cheapest here in the states. Unless the keyboard is awful.

I see the G1 right now as the budget smartphone. $98 for the G1 with a $65+taxes/month gets you a pretty good deal. And I'm pretty sure the Magic will continue this trend as well.

Upvote 0
I personally think the Magic is a very good phone...although I'm not a big fan of Vodafone....

And I'd just rather have a physical keyboard option rather than just a virtual one...

But it should do well if people warm up to it....

I don't know about the states...but I don't see many people here in the UK with a G1 at all...

I don't even have any friends with one -_-

Upvote 0
I only know of one person with a g1 too, it's crazy. And I still haven't used her yet, not had chance.

I am still tempted by the g1. I am going to wait for the magic, check user reviews and then decide between the two. The soft keypad is probably going to be the kiler for me if it's rubbish!

I think the Dream and Magic will end up with the same Virtual keyboad ...

Upvote 0
I think he as meaning he agrees with you regarding the virtual keyboard.as do I. Or have I missed the sarcasm due to being tired? But, the magic is much lighter and slimmer, which I also like. What's 3g coverage like on tmobile in the uk then?

I do think Magic will be more stylish ... but I take function over style give the choice... Most of my phones have been bar or box shaped nothing I would consider stylish... Even though I did Pimp one out with a gold case and multi-color LED keyboard that did light shows every time it was pinged by the network or when data or ring was coming in ... It was an Attention getter.

Pimped out SE 610 and SE 630 ...
Previous to the G1 I used a SE P990i Which I still have as a spare ...

Upvote 0
I think he as meaning he agrees with you regarding the virtual keyboard.as do I. Or have I missed the sarcasm due to being tired? But, the magic is much lighter and slimmer, which I also like. What's 3g coverage like on tmobile in the uk then?

No no...you are right...I was agreeing with what he said (a pointless post really...)

3G isn't too bad when it's working (I had a few days of non-3G as you've probably read from my other thread..)

You can always check the coverage in your area at the T-Mobile UK site..

Upvote 0
No no...you are right...I was agreeing with what he said (a pointless post really...)

3G isn't too bad when it's working (I had a few days of non-3G as you've probably read from my other thread..)

You can always check the coverage in your area at the T-Mobile UK site..

I qoute Crazzy's post to illustrate ...

I only know of one person with a g1 too, it's crazy. And I still haven't used her yet, not had chance.

I am still tempted by the g1. I am going to wait for the magic, check user reviews and then decide between the two. The soft keypad is probably going to be the kiler for me if it's rubbish!

I don't think the following was pointless ... since my point was, If Crazy88 was thinking the virtual keyboard would make the difference.

They would both be rubbish ... since they will most likely have the same Soft-keyboard .. Therefore if the Keyboard is the deciding factor ... then it probably isn't worth waiting for the Magic..

If it is Style .... then surely wait ... !!!

Upvote 0
True, but if the keyboard is good, then I have no need to get the extra bulk of the g1 as i can get a magic. The price vexes me too, the g1 is obviously cheaper since it's been out a while and no doubt it may even drop further after the magic release to try sway some customers back tmo's way.

Off topic, but does anyone know when the Bluetooth functionality will be fully opened to file transfer etc? As I understand it's currently headset only? Am i right in thinking this?

Upvote 0
True, but if the keyboard is good, then I have no need to get the extra bulk of the g1 as i can get a magic. The price vexes me too, the g1 is obviously cheaper since it's been out a while and no doubt it may even drop further after the magic release to try sway some customers back tmo's way.

Off topic, but does anyone know when the Bluetooth functionality will be fully opened to file transfer etc? As I understand it's currently headset only? Am i right in thinking this?

Isn't that coming with Android 1.5?

What's wrong with the price? We are talking about the Magic, right?

Seems pretty standard to me from where I'm seeing it...

Upvote 0
Well, the Magic looks thiner than the G1 which probably means battery power no more and maybe less than the G1..

It actually has an increased battery capacity; 1150mAh for the G1 compared to 1340 for the Magic. This, combined with the increased efficiency in 1.5 should mean the battery lasts an hour or two longer, at least.

I'm getting it. It killed me to pass on the G1, but I'm glad I did. The Magic is exactly my kind of phone, even considering all the Android phones shown so far: the G1, the Agora, the OPhone, the Huawei phone, the Hero, the leaked Samsung model, even the Rhodium.

I realized the other day why I'm lusting after this phone so much: it's solid- a slate tablet design. There's no moving or movable parts, and that's hugely appealing to me. Plus, it's slick, it's glossy white, and I like the curves it has around the edge. I even love the soap bar look on the back.

The day T-Mobile USA announces the date and price, I'm there.

On a side note, it disheartens me to see, at least what I perceive, or a Magic backlash. We're all Android enthusiasts, we need to be united behind this operating system. I can only think this is because early adopters are either jealous of the new phones coming out, or they're jealous of losing their "elite" status. I'm not applying that to everyone here, but it's just my two cents.

Upvote 0
It actually has an increased battery capacity; 1150mAh for the G1 compared to 1340 for the Magic. This, combined with the increased efficiency in 1.5 should mean the battery lasts an hour or two longer, at least.

I'm getting it. It killed me to pass on the G1, but I'm glad I did. The Magic is exactly my kind of phone, even considering all the Android phones shown so far: the G1, the Agora, the OPhone, the Huawei phone, the Hero, the leaked Samsung model, even the Rhodium.

I realized the other day why I'm lusting after this phone so much: it's solid- a slate tablet design. There's no moving or movable parts, and that's hugely appealing to me. Plus, it's slick, it's glossy white, and I like the curves it has around the edge. I even love the soap bar look on the back.

The day T-Mobile USA announces the date and price, I'm there.

On a side note, it disheartens me to see, at least what I perceive, or a Magic backlash. We're all Android enthusiasts, we need to be united behind this operating system. I can only think this is because early adopters are either jealous of the new phones coming out, or they're jealous of losing their "elite" status. I'm not applying that to everyone here, but it's just my two cents.

Good Luck with your choice ... time will tell if it is the best choice... there is loads of potential left unrevealed .... I will wait for something that outperforms either the Dream or Magic .... will enjoy being in on the historic ground breaking G1 platform.
In other words,

"I am Happy to Dream and don't believe in Magic" (c) 2009 JustJimJPC

Upvote 0
Good Luck with your choice ... time will tell if it is the best choice... there is loads of potential left unrevealed .... I will wait for something that outperforms either the Dream or Magic .... will enjoy being in on the historic ground breaking G1 platform.
In other words, "I am Happy to Dream and don't believe in Magic"

Dude....that....is a beautiful line....

You should copyright that line....and get royalties anytime someone uses it xD

Upvote 0

I can assure you my friend....I'm not jealous....

I just want a physical keyboard over a virtual one...

And how would we lose our "elite" status...

If anything...it makes us that much more elite...because we didn't jump onto the bandwagon when a phone came out that would make us look "so kool that your friends would think you are the bee's knees" ....

We been here since the beginning...we are the true elites if you ask me....

Upvote 0
I do think Magic will be more stylish ... but I take function over style give the choice... Most of my phones have been bar or box shaped nothing I would consider stylish... Even though I did Pimp one out with a gold case and multi-color LED keyboard that did light shows every time it was pinged by the network or when data or ring was coming in ... It was an Attention getter.

Pimped out SE 610 and SE 630 ...
Previous to the G1 I used a SE P990i Which I still have as a spare ...

I have been waiting to see what AF's resident expert SecretAsianMan finds in the pimp/lights department for the G1.

Upvote 0
Someone a while back posted that the Magic will have the same internal memory as the G1, but I am almost positive that I read somewhere that the internal memory was doubled on the Magic.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? This would seem to be the single biggest difference between these phones, besides the obvious aesthetic differences.

Tough to believe they would release another phone that doesn't have enough internal memory for a decent amount of apps, but then again it's tough to believe they released the first one this way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones