• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone in a 4G zone...

Sweet, gonna be spending a few weeks in Baltimore/DC and its nice to know I wont have to rely on (typically) crappy hotel internet.

They've really put a lot of work into the 4G network in Baltimore and keep beefing it up. The coverage area keeps getting bigger and bigger on sprint.com.

I wonder what the actual 4G speed readings would be in the actual Baltimore 4G coverage area. I think it should be fantastic.

Upvote 0
5mb would be plenty of speed for most people in their homes not running online games. I personally was hoping to replace my expensive comcast with 4G.

True, I was hoping to do the same - but Sprint can't control factors like what your home/office building is made of or other things that might interfere with the signal. I've been in a lot of places where the 4g works perfectly outside and inside a building, but not at all in the one next to it.

Still, I'm perfectly happy as long as I can get great 4g signals when I'm outside (and I do) since that's when I really might need it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Depending on signal it varies greatly. A low signal usually means slower than 3G, lots of pauses, application crashes, etc until the phone figures it out and switches to 3G.

With one or two bars 1.5 - 3mbps is typical. With 3 or 4 bars 3 - 5mbps is typical. It looks like 5.5 or 6mbps is a hard limit. I often see the phone get close to it, but never steadily hit it or go past it.

Upvote 0
Wish I could even test 4g like some of you fellas.

Any word of 4g coverage in NYC?

We're already getting it.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/102380-new-york-city-4g-coverage-any-dates.html

I got it at my manhattan apt for the first time 2 days ago but I couldn't connect. It just said it was available but I could not verify to get on the network.

The best 4G speed I've had in NY is 2.9 MBPS.

Wrong! Not all of nyc has 4g right now... parts of queens and pretty much all of staten island does not have 4g.

Upvote 0
In theory it could be faster since its supposed to support like 7mb/s but that never happens. Its more like 2mb/s.

I get 5-6 down in ATL tethering.

Well if you compare averages, the 4g will be way faster than 3g. There may be some special cases where sprints coverage in general just isn't as good in an area as Verizon and At&t but simply put 4g smokes 3g.

I read somewhere on here that even at capacity 3g is only 3.1mb/s for cell phones. Plus At&t's overall service sucks anyways, that's got to count for something too.

Upvote 0
Coverage in SLC seems to not really extend to the airport. I'm getting zero or one bar over here and getting between .9 and 2.6Mbps down with that weak of a signal.

2.11 down on the 3G

also speedtest.net seems to think I'm in Dallas. If my packets are all routing through Texas to get to Salt Lake that could be a bit of a problem (latency is ridiculous, like 330ms)

Upvote 0
Before the update I'd get, on average, less then 2 down.

Now, after 3 tests, consistently between 5 and 6. Browsing the web it really flies, pages just snap into place. It's awesome.

What update? I'm in kansas city home of sprint and I get 1-2.5 mbps if I'm outside my house, I can't even get 4g in my basement.at all. AND the 4g coverage is spotty here at best

Upvote 0
In Honolulu, never broke 3mbps on 4G, even with full bars. Usually more like 1.5 - 2mbps. Disappointed, to say the least.

On the other hand, compared to Tmobile, 3G speeds are great here. consistent 1 - 1.5mbps. And Tmobile supposedly had HSDPA+ here. I never got anything over 1mbps on my nexus one w/ Tmob.

My wife had Incredible w/ Big red and her 3G speeds were similar to Sprints, about 1 - 1.5mbps with full signal.

Upvote 0
Here in Kansas City coverage is still very spotty. I was told via a friend that works for Sprint that by mid July we should see better coverage and speeds. The roll out in June was to match the Evo release date and just get some 4g out there.

As for speeds, I can set my phone in a window and pull 2 bars of 4G here in Overland Park area and pull 3 to 3.8mb down, 1mb up. Usually I've seen 2.7 to 3.2mb down/1mb up when I have 1+ bars of 4G.

The 3g typically runs .8 to 1.1mb down and 600/800up.

The ping times on 4G has been good, 50 to 60 ms at my house and usually right around 90 to 110ms pings. Much better than anything I would ever see from ATT on the iPhone. The downside to the Evo's speed is the Hotspot app seems to limit speeds to a laptop, home computer or an iPad to about 300kbps even though the phone will pull near 4mb on a speed test. Hopefully that will get resolved soon, and hopefully the speeds will become more in the 3 to 6mb dl range over the next few months to make it a viable alternative to replace my home internet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones