• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone in Los Angeles? - June 4th

I've called the ACS Sprint store here in Westchester near LAX, no go on the working Evo. Apparently the owner has one and is there periodically, so it's hit and miss.

HOWEVER, my wife was at the Westfield mall in Culver City and happened to visit the Sprint kiosk (private company) across from the food court (in front of Macy's). The owner was there and had a working phone. It is very fast and the screen is huge AND bright!

The owner said he has plenty for this Friday. He will waive the activation fee, plus add $20.00ish in accessories. The only thing he cannot do is waive the rebate, but we don't mind fronting the $200.00. He is open at 8:00am in the morning on Friday, so we will be there first thing to pick-up our 2 phones.

If you want to check out his phone, or see where he is at with quantities, you can call him at 310-400-6634 and ask for Zak.

Beats fighting the crowds at the Sprint store Friday morning!!

Hope this helps someone out!

Eric :cool:

Thanx again! Glad I didnt just show up! lol I think I am just gonna wait until I get my EVO anyways! I want that moment to be special!! hehe

Upvote 0
I am in Culver City, but after I got turned down on pre-orders by two Best Buys and a Radio Shack, I decided to look for deals online and ended up finding a great deal from studentrate (luckily I decided to go back to college this year).

If you are a studentrate member, you can order an EVO through their Sprint store link on June 4th and get a $50 service credit, a $25 check, waived activation fee, free shipping, and 15% off your monthly service. To me that's worth mailing in the $100 rebate and waiting the few extra days for the phone itself.

Upvote 0
So, I didn't get a chance to post, but I got a call from the Hollywood Best Buy tonight regarding my pre-order. Apparently, they're not doing appointments anymore because there were WAY more pre-orders than they anticipated, so they said they're allowing any of the pre-orders come in at their convenience from Friday through Sunday to pick up the phone! This is actually GREAT news because they said that all pre-orders will be guaranteed, regardless of when you pick it up and they'll be opening early on Friday morning for people to pick up their pre-order!

Nontheless, it's perfect timing for me. I'm picking up the EVO early Friday morning (8am) prior to going to work. Granted, I may have to go into work a little late, but it'll be fine as long as I get to work by 930am!

4 more days!

Upvote 0
Well, I'm just hoping there aren't many people that are going to go there super early to pick up their pre-orders. Having to go there by 6am, just to make sure I'm one of the first is early enough for me. If there's already a line of more than 20 people by then, I probably will just pick the phone up later.

I really wish they had just set appointments instead. Kinda defeated the whole purpose of me being the 7th pre-order they placed.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm just hoping there aren't many people that are going to go there super early to pick up their pre-orders. Having to go there by 6am, just to make sure I'm one of the first is early enough for me. If there's already a line of more than 20 people by then, I probably will just pick the phone up later.

I really wish they had just set appointments instead. Kinda defeated the whole purpose of me being the 7th pre-order they placed.

I agree! I would be pissed if I were you.... at least mine gave me 10:30am so I am sorta close to what I should be... I will still be there early lol but not too early that I need a chair KWIM :)

Upvote 0
I agree! I would be pissed if I were you.... at least mine gave me 10:30am so I am sorta close to what I should be... I will still be there early lol but not too early that I need a chair KWIM :)

LOL...nah, doesn't piss me off because if that's what they feel is best for business, it is what it is and I really can't do anything to change that. I'll just go along with their problem and as long as I'm paying $199, no mail-in-rebate, I'm good.

Question for those that hopefully know the answer:
I know a lot of people have been saying that BB charges activation fee, but I also saw someone mention that Sprint Premier customers get their activation fees waived? Does anybody know if that's true? If so, does Best Buy follow that same policy or will I need to call into Sprint?

Upvote 0
LOL...nah, doesn't piss me off because if that's what they feel is best for business, it is what it is and I really can't do anything to change that. I'll just go along with their problem and as long as I'm paying $199, no mail-in-rebate, I'm good.

Question for those that hopefully know the answer:
I know a lot of people have been saying that BB charges activation fee, but I also saw someone mention that Sprint Premier customers get their activation fees waived? Does anybody know if that's true? If so, does Best Buy follow that same policy or will I need to call into Sprint?

AFAIK... call sprint after for the activation fee... :)

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I pre-ordered mine in the Lincoln Heights RS and made my appointment for 5pm after I get off work. The manager said they'll be opening up at 6am that day because of the Evo and that they already had a bunch of pre-orders. He told me to call when I was on my way so they could have the phone all set up for when I got there. He said it should only take me about 10 mins once I got there.

Upvote 0
Seems like most of you pre-ordered from Best Buy.
Any reason?

I'm not a shill for Best Buy or any company, but I've never had a problem with them, at least the Torrance PCH store anyways. I get a sense that they have a pretty tight relationship with the carriers they deal with. So I feel they will come through on this device well.

Upvote 0
Seems like most of you pre-ordered from Best Buy.
Any reason?

No mail-in-rebate and I trust them more than Radio Shack. Only reason I used to go to Radio Shack in the past was for cheap/generic electrical connectors. Once they were no longer "cheap" to me compared to online websites, I didn't bother going there anymore for anything. They could've changed a lot since then, but just never had any reason to go in and buy something.

BB is convenient and I'm a rewards zone member so it was a no brainer for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones