• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone keeping their hero?

For now, yes, I am keeping it.

I'm a huge "gadget geek" and love to get new devices ALL of the times (it drives my wife nuts). My Hero works fine and I really have no need to get the Evo, this may prove to be different when my upgrade comes though.

Ultimately, new and better gadgets are release all the time. By the time my upgrade rolls around there may be something new/better.... only time will tell.

Upvote 0
So is there anyone keeping their hero and skipping the HTC EVO 4G? Please give some reasons why. Just curious.

I for one, like the form factor of the hero. I also want the next gen processor. The evo is gigantic, and I am a pocket phone guy so the evo, while totally an awesome piece of hardware, just isn't for me. I really like sense, but think I am going to go vanilla next time around, because I don't want to wait forever for an update, like we have for the hero.

Upvote 0
I don't get an upgrade until November. I'm thinking there will be an all new Sprint phone to come out by then so I am going to wait. I'm hoping/dreaming for something running Android 3.0 or may be the new Droid 2 :D

Not too much of a stretch, wasn't the time elapsed between the Hero and EVO about seven or eight months?

Not to much of a hardship though, my Hero with 2.1-6 is running sweet.

I just dropped an 8 gb class 6 card in it too. For those who may be interested, Amazon is selling them for 19.95 w/ free shipping.

Upvote 0
I too am staying with the Hero. In fact I just added my GF to my plan and got her a Hero. I too have played with the EVO and its just too big for me. Its a wonderful piece of hardware and way cool but just too big for my pocket and I just cant see carrying a tablet on my hip. My ideal phone would have the EVOs innards with the Heros form factor. Hopefully something close to that will be available in October/November when my upgrade is due. Also the 2.1 update really works well on Hero and I am very pleased with it.

Upvote 0
So is there anyone keeping their hero and skipping the HTC EVO 4G? Please give some reasons why. Just curious.

I'm probably going to hold off for now. I'm on my third Hero at this point, and I've finally got the damn thing working the way I want. I'll let other people deal with the kinks of a first gen product, and I'll jump into the fray in a few months.

Upvote 0
im staying with my hero:D not only becuase i only got it less than 30 days ago but now that i learned how to root, the possibilities are endless. i read somewhere that they were comparing the size of the evo to HD2 and even though the evo is a bit smaller, the size is a huge issue for me. plus i like the fact that the hero has a trackball which is a huge plus. my friend has the iphone and even though i "convinced" him that the hero is better even though he wont admit it, he does admit the trackball is pretty damn useful for editing texts.

and i like the form factor too. its pretty damn close to perfect but it would be better if it was thinner but i hopefully sprint gets the legend aka hero2. i lookedup some vids on youtube about the euro version and its pretty damn cool. it pretty much has the same specs except for a 600+ mghz processor and flash, except its built sturdier and i think thinner.

Upvote 0
All this talk about October means Sprint will probably not launch any new 3.7inch android phone like the Nexus, Incredible, Legend, or anything like those because they want to drive their EVO 4g price scam. I don't know if I would like this monster 4.2inch screen, but the lack of a trackball/glide-pad makes me pause. Besides, the only 'running android' thing the EVO has over the Hero is it will probably get 2.2 later. And, from what I'm reading, EVO owners are no better off then Hero owners using the Sense UI and Android since they are reporting similar problems (like bluetooth) and I'll bet the gigahertz processor is just hiding the rest of them.

I really need a 3.7inch gigahertz android phone on sprint like the Incredible. Hey, how about one of those new DUAL-CORE mobile phone processors by October???

Upvote 0
I'm also waiting for a 3.7in EVO-like phone. I played with the EVO and it's just too big for my liking. Also, while the 4.2in screen is awesome, it should have a higher resolution to make it really useful; otherwise, it reminded me of using one of those huge remote controls for old folks with big a$$ buttons. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones